Getting in Shape

cleansing worked! feel so much better and six pounds lighter (for now)

Hi! I had posted a few weeks ago debating whether or not to do a detox cleanse because I had gained a LOT of weight rapidly and frighteningly on the loestrin/microgestin birth control pill, something a lot of active women seem to experience on this particular pill. Despite eating an average of 1300 calories a day at 5'10" and working out an hour a day for months, I was seeing NO weight loss and struggling to even maintain my weight--not normal for me at all. I had lost weight on my own a few years ago (over 40 pounds) slowly using my own plan, "Lose Weight, Save Money" which I wrote a book about, and have still kept most of it off, but I decided to do one of those detox cleanses to get the built up pill hormones in my body fat and retained water out so I could get back to my normal metabolism: the pill it turns out causes insulin resistance, which makes it extremely difficult to lose body fat. Long story short, I just completed trainer David Kirsch's 48 Hour Super Charged Cleanse. It is not as hard as I thought, and I lost six pounds in two days! I know it's water weight I need to continue eating very healthy as not to gain it right back, but I feel great and think it really helped purge built up toxins from my body. Each day I felt "toxic" when I woke up since my body was getting rid of so much garbage, then had some water and felt great. I highly recommend this cleanse and will definitely be doing it again. I even "cheated" (I don't think it's healthy to go without any protein for two days) and had some tuna and gazpacho the first day, and some celery, fat-free greek yogurt and a brown rice cake day two, and I STILL lost six pounds. I feel SO much healthier now--I really felt horrible for months on that damn pill, and though I love my gyno, I can't wait for her to weigh me at my annual in a few months to show her how this pill was ruining my life--I have a lot of blog posts from other women who gained 10-30 pounds in 1-3 months on Loestrin too. Never taking BC pills again! Hope my experience is helpful--make sure you have a physical and are in good health before doing any kind of extreme cleanse like this, and definitely don't try it if you have diabetes or another medical condition that affects your blood sugar, but it worked for me!! I don't think it's good for the heart or muscle mass to do any kind of restrictive cleanse/diet for more than a day or two because you'll just get "skinny fat"--weigh less but with less muscle and a slower metabolism, not to mention, put strain on your heart. But two days--definitely doable! For those brides (and bridesmaids) freaking out trying to slip into their gown--this WILL do the trick! Says online it's an average of 2-4 pounds--and I didn't feel hungry/like killing anyone either--amazing.

Re: cleansing worked! feel so much better and six pounds lighter (for now)

• Reported for the advertising of your book, and cleanses don't work. You will gain those 6 pounds back. Your body comes with a liver for the very purpose of detoxing your body.

I think it's horribly dangerous to recommend a cleanse to anyone blindly, and especially stupid for anyone to follow advice from an internet stranger.

Being 5'10 (not sure of your weight), 1300 calories probably wasn't enough for you to lose weight. I'm 5'7/135 and to lose around a pound a week I should net 1300 a day.
    imageimageimage
  • This is the dumbest thing I've read in a long time. Reported.
  • 1200-1300 calories is considered the lowest you should go at any height, especially if you are working out. I tried this cleanse, NOT based on my book, which I am not advertising--I am simply stating that I was frustrated with my difficulty in losing pill-related weight, and turned to a trainer to get the pill out of my system. I think if you have a toxic buildup of medication in your body, extreme measures are needed to get it out, since even though the pill leaves the bloodstream in a matter of days, it takes a while for it to get out of the adipose tissues of the body. The reason I mention my book and the risks associated with such a cleanse is because I am expert in health--unlike you obviously. Before you go around calling people stupid, why don't YOU try writing a book on health? I'm not recommending it "blindly"--learn to read!
  • I'm a professional writer; this is an experience that helped me and is far from "dumb"--perhaps you are ignorant of what a two-day cleanse is all about. David Kirsch trains Heidi Klum and a number of others who have gotten great results, and this is far from the Master Cleanse, which I do not recommend, which is weeks of drinking lemonaid and not eating solid food. I agree that type of cleanse is ridiculous.

• How on Earth is restricting your caloric intake going to help you "cleanse" your body of hormones? As I posted before when you first posted, your body is going to work most efficiently with good, proper nutrition, soe exercise, and plenty of hydration. Starvation doesn't make you do anything more efficiently.

I'm not calling you stupid, I'm calling cleanses stupid. So stupid.
  • If you want your post to stay up, please edit it to remove at the very least the title of your book, or else I will delete it.

That aside, no wonder you weren't losing weight, 1200-1300 calories for someone your height is absolutely too low, esepcially if you're working out.  That's just not enough fuel for the machine.

The only thing a 2 day "cleanse" will do is have you losing water weight (which you did ackknowledge) and fecal matter.  Which, oddly enough, comes right back when you eat food and get hydrated again. 

Lastly, holy freaking wall of text.  That was hard to read.
    We'll just not tell H about this little fact, m'kay?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_cleansing-worked-feel-much-better-six-pounds-lighter-now?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:66ad28e5-9fc1-4621-91d4-8de2e51ec833Post:7c69c6cb-e06a-4702-b32e-1dfee49de603">Re: cleansing worked! feel so much better and six pounds lighter (for now)</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm a professional writer; this is an experience that helped me and is far from "dumb"--perhaps you are ignorant of what a two-day cleanse is all about. David Kirsch trains Heidi Klum and a number of others who have gotten great results, and this is far from the Master Cleanse, which I do not recommend, which is weeks of drinking lemonaid and not eating solid food. I agree that type of cleanse is ridiculous.
    Posted by mediacy[/QUOTE]

How does being a professional writer have anything to do with it? I'm a professional scientist, and obviously that didn't mean you took my advice on cleanses. I'm sorry you had a bad time on the pill (I went off hormonal birth control myself about 4 month ago) but I still don't see how depriving yourself of necessary nurtients is going to make your body more efficient at anything.
  • Hi--I was referring to the other poster. I agree cleanses seem ridiculous, and I was never a fan (and still think most weight loss drugs/aids are unhealthy if not dangerous), but in this case, this particular type of detox mainly helps purge excess water weight--weight stored in adipose/fatty tissues in the body that are holding on to, in this case, birth control hormones. As mentioned, even though the pill hormones leave the bloodstream in a matter of days, body fat is basically a "garbage dump" for toxins, and by doing this type of a cleanse, it helps to draw those toxins out rapidly. That's why people might notice their skin breaking out if they start eating healthy after eating junk food for months--the toxins are coming out that way. Doing 75 minute yoga classes and running four miles at a time and sweating was only scratching the surface for me in terms of purging toxins from my body fat. All I know is, I actually did the cleanse, because I felt incredibly sick and lethargic and frustrated, and now I feel MUCH, much healthier, more energetic, and am back to my regular healthy eating and exercise plan. I don't expect this to be permanent weight loss either and frankly, it wasn't about weight loss--I just count it as six pounds of hormone-filled water that my body purged. I mention all the health risks in my initial post, but even my doctor told me (had a complete physical including an EKG before doing the cleanse) it is perfectly safe to do this type of a cleanse for two days--just not two weeks. It is indeed stupid to forgo protein and veggies and other healthy nutrients for any extended amount of time. And naturally, the person should be healthy from the start. No reason for anyone to rip into my post without knowing as much as I do about nutrition (that is the only reason I mentioned my book) and being aware of what this type of a cleanse really does.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_cleansing-worked-feel-much-better-six-pounds-lighter-now?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:66ad28e5-9fc1-4621-91d4-8de2e51ec833Post:8d95229a-6c83-42da-a43f-22201012cdc3">Re: cleansing worked! feel so much better and six pounds lighter (for now)</a>:
    [QUOTE].<strong> No reason for anyone to rip into my post without knowing as much as I do about nutrition (that is the only reason I mentioned my book) and being aware of what this type of a cleanse really does.</strong>
    Posted by mediacy[/QUOTE]

I guess what I did is OK, then, since I do know as much about nutrition as you. Yay!
  • Do you know what else happens when you draw toxins and other stuff out of your body fat quickly?  A couple things.  one, you also draw GOOD things out of it.  Two, depending on what kind of garbage is in your dump, you can get really, really sick from stuff in there, that you otherwise wouldn't get sick from because it would release slowly as you lose weight in a healthy way, instead of all at once when you "purge" it.

But, it worked for you, so it MUST be ok.  BEST LOGIC EVAR.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Really? You're not a professional nutritionist or journalist--you say you're a scientist but don't clarify what kind. 
  • It's actually "best logic EVER" to the poster who can't spell up there, and I'm going to go write some stories now, which I actually get PAID to do. This post could be very useful to some women who have been on birth control for a long time, etc.--as they say, don't knock it till you try it...and clearly some of you need to lose some toxic thoughts at the very least...
  • I believe just about all detoxes only really cause you to lose water weight...which your body will just replace after a few days.
    And professional writer or not, you can't advertise your product.
    imageimageimage
  • Haha, it was an intentional misspell.  I see you spend a lot of time here.

Did you read anything else I said, or were you too distracted by me "misspelling" the shortest word in my post?

Maybe I should find a cleanse for my brain.  That might help my toxic thoughts.

• PS, you should have known you wouldn't get positive responses since everyone told you what a bad idea it was BEFORE you did it.  Logical reasoning fail.  Or troll win. 

• edited April 2011
    You can't be surprised at the reactions you received posting about a cleanse that requires a person to not eat for any period of time.  Unless you bring information regarding a healthy cleanse that involves drinking lots of water, sweating as much as possible, and eating raw natural healthy foods to help your body naturally detox you are not going to receive positive responses.  I am all for people 'cleansing' their bodies by cutting out processed food, alcohol and hormones but still fueling your body with healthy food and water.  The women on this board (from what I have see in my lurking) care about the health of one another and want to help promote a healthy positive lifestyle that others can maintain and most of us agree that this type of cleanse is not in line with those things.  Keep in mind that if you bring up a controversial topic on these boards you will get harsh honest responses like it or not.          

Edit:  When I say sweating a lot I mean hot yoga and things in that line not sitting in a sauna...
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards