Pennsylvania-Philadelphia

POLL: Yes or No

Are you or will you be getting the H1N1 flu shot?

Re: POLL: Yes or No

• edited December 2011
    Yes. I take meds for a skin condition that weaken the immune system, so I fall under the "compromised immune system" clause in who they are suggesting should receive it.
  • edited December 2011
    No - reason being they released it too quickly which leads me to believe they don't know enough about it & long term side effects (if any).
  • jessica0602jessica0602 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    absolutely not.  released too quickly without enough testing. also, read this little gem: http://tinyurl.com/yjr642t
  • edited December 2011
    Absolutely yes, once it is available to the general population.  It was developed the same way the seasonal flu shot is every year - just a different strain.   
    Yorkie Jenga

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited December 2011
    Yes, I second PharmJen
  • edited December 2011
    No. I'm a baby when it comes to needles. I never get the one for the Seasonal flu one either...   
  • edited December 2011
    Absolutely yes.  Since I fall under the "compromised immune system", plus since both my parents are high risk because of their jobs, it made sense to get one for me.  FI will also be getting one, since he is a caregiver and because of his job.
  • edited December 2011
    I would if I could get it. No - reason being they released it too quickly which leads me to believe they don't know enough about it & long term side effects (if any). This thought process is flawed. Every year a different flu shot is made for the strains of flu the higher powers THINK are going to be around. So N1H1 is actually no better or worse in testing then any flu shot.
  • edited December 2011
    My point exactly NCV. 
    Yorkie Jenga

• edited December 2011
    Sorry PhamJen I missed your post. Do you work in drug testing btw?
  • Amerbutt81Amerbutt81 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes, because I am around high school kids 4 to 5 times a week and they swap germs like nobody's business.  I've already gotten 2 colds and it's only October.
    Mrs. JEGs
    est 7.17.10
    [IMG]http://i43.tinypic.com/2md4eb4.jpg[/IMG]
    Hunter Fillmore
    October 1, 2011

Lizzie In Progress
  • edited December 2011
    Yes, when its made available to non-clinical ppl at my work (hospital - nurses, pregnant get it first).  I'm getting the seasonal shot prob next week.
  • edited December 2011
    No, I don't normally get the Flu shot.
  • edited December 2011
    No! I work for a hospital too, and I will not get it! The inhaler H1N1 vaccine is a huge no no! It has the live virus in it which will get your sick no matter if you weakened immune system or not.  I usually don't get the regular flu vaccine, but this year I did get it because I wasn't thinking.
    ~* Diana *~ ~* October 9, 2010 *~

PhotobucketPhotobucket

Anniversary

• Jesster153Jesster153 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Probably not the H1N1 but I'll get the regular flu shot soon most likely just becasue I take the train to work so the germs are everywhere! :-P You can't even get the H1N1 now can you? Isn't there like a massive shortage
    Siggy Challange: Me and my girls :)
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    Jesster - I take the train too & that especially freaks me out. Hand sanitizer is my best friend, lol.
  • edited December 2011
    The nasal spray is generally not considered "safe" for pregnant women and the elderly - this is true for seasonal and H1N1.    The seasonal flu shot contains strains of the H3N2 virus - clearly quite similar to what we call "swine flu."  Vaccination is a personal choice, but I always encourage people to get their information from an appropriate source.http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/PublicHealthFocus/ucm150305.htmhttp://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/DLLady -  You weren't thinking and got the flu shot?
    Yorkie Jenga

• Jesster153Jesster153 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    hahah um yea...everytime someone coughs on the train, I'm like dont get near me!  haha
    Siggy Challange: Me and my girls :)
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    No. I'm just not a fan of needles. I don't get the seasonal flu shot either.
  • edited December 2011
    We didn't. I did get a note from Dan's school saying if they get it do you want your kid vaccinated. I chose yes for now and we'll see if they get it in. We normally don't get vaccinated anyway though so I am torn. One of DS's friend on soccer had the mist and still got the H1. I think the media hypes things up way too much.
  • edited December 2011
    If I were to get it, I would get the shot not the nasal spray. But I'm not getting it. I got the regular flu shot. I'm a medical worker so I thought it was necessary.
  • CA2PABride2BeCA2PABride2Be member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    No - and I'm a preschool teacher.  I'm just washing my hands hardcore and my kids are washing their hands more times a day than last year as well.
    Photobucket
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    183 image 128 image 55 image 0 image RSVP Date: June 4, 2010
  • edited December 2011
    PharmJen - I don't normally work third shift all the time, so I was doing a 1:1 and it was in the middle of the shift. I was starting to get tired and was in need of time to get out of the room. My co-worker came in the room and asked me if I wanted a flu shot. I said yes before really thinking about what he asked me. I got it anyway, I don't normally get the flu. I haven't gotten it since elementary school. Besides, my work puts all who have gotten the shot in a drawing to win prizes.
    ~* Diana *~ ~* October 9, 2010 *~

PhotobucketPhotobucket

Anniversary

• smcfarlen515smcfarlen515 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    nope .. makes me nervous!
  • edited December 2011
    absolutely yes. i work in a hospital and have seen too many people sick with te flu already this year
  • bigjajapoofbigjajapoof member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    No - I feel it'll be the catalyst that brings upon us the Zombie Apocolypse
    Even though i'm now married you ladies can't get rid of me. Hit me up www.facebook.com/groomzilla BOOYAH!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards