Washington-Seattle

WTF?!

THE VENUE GAVE AWAY OUR DATE!They assured us and swore up and down (I work as an event planner, it's something I asked about multiple times) they would hold it for us and let us know the minute someone was inquiring about it.  We tried to give them the deposit on Tuesday and they gave us the contract and told us to bring it back.  My FI took the contract today with the deposit and they said "oh sorry, we booked that day yesterday."  Most other weekends in Oct and Sept are available but I had my heart set on 10-9-10 (I liked that it's a palindrome).  In addition to that I don't really trust them anymore.I don't know what to do... I know we can change venue or change our date but I'm just really upset they made such a big mistake and now I don't trust them so I'm not sure I want to give them my business.UGH it had been a pretty good day so far too!

Re: WTF?!

• amysethnessamysethness member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    omg!!! noooooooooo way that is terribile....soooo sorry :(   ....
  • edited December 2011
    That's horrible!! However, if you didn't get it in writing that they'd hold it for you, I think you're out of luck. :( It stinks that they knew you were looking over the contract and tried to give them a deposit - can you contact a supervisor or manager to see if they can do something for you? I know you'd love it if they'd kick out the other couple so you can have your date back... But I think you may have to find another venue.
    greenbaby
    BFP 1/22/12 | Ectopic pregnancy found 2/14/12 | Methotrexate to complete m/c 2/15/12 imageimageimage Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for the sympathy - I mostly needed to vent about it.  It's not another wedding that booked the space, sounds like it's a group of some sort.  I guess I'm most frustrated that A- they did it, B- admitted this is a recurring problem, and C- didn't try to make it up to us in any way (they just said "you'll have to rebook").Boooooo.  Oh well - I can take solace in writing the stinky review they'll get!
  • edited December 2011
    What place is this?
    Family fall photo session with Ashley Hoyle Photography
    Married 7/10/10
    Wedding Planning Bio - Updated 6/13/2010
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    That is a huge bummer. I'm so sorry! I think that with people screaming about the economy that weddingg vendors in particular aren't going to wait for us brides who aren't 100% sure about booking. They're going to take whatever they can get. Whereas before I think they were more willing to give a little leeway. Unfortunately that's kind of bad for us.
  • edited December 2011
    Yeah, if they have a contract with someone else, they definitely are unlikely to breech it and open themselves up to that in order to accomodate a verbal contract with you. However, a verbal contract is just as binding as a written one so, technically, they were unable to enter into a contract with the second group because they had already contracted with you, so that contract would be invalid to begin with... not to mention that it's unlikely that the group would sustain damages by changing the date/venue this quickly. If I were you, I would speak to a manager, inform them that verbal agreements are binding contracts, and ask them to take this problem to the other group and ask the other group to reschedule. I wouldn't throw around the possibility of litigation, but when you start using words like 'breech of contract' people do tend to make assumptions... that can be beneficial. However, this is only if you even want to work with them at this point. I'd be leery. You can sue for damages all you want when your wedding gets jacked up on the day of, but the reality is that your wedding got all jacked up. And there is nothing that can fix that.
  • edited December 2011
    Also, just to clarify, holding a date for you is a courtesy not a contract. But, when you attempted to give them a deposit and they told you just to take the contract and return it a different day with the deposit and that they'd hold the date, they essentially created the contract at that point. It's a little iffy because you hadn't paid yet, but they caused that circumstance themselves by not taking the money while still essentially telling you that they would abide by contract terms.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone for the thoughts and ideas - I don't want to mention the venue by name because I'm pretty sure someone else is using them and I don't want to taint their opinion.  Also, my FI and I can take some of the blame - we didn't book immediately and we didn't get the contract back to them ASAP.  I wish they'd talk to the other group and get them to change but at the same time I don't want to start off on a bad foot with the venue.  Best solution FI and I see is to just find a new place.  Thankfully we have a year (or 344 days, thanks for the constant reminders Knot) and this is obviously a sign that the venue wasn't meant to be :)
  • jeannigirljeannigirl member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That sucks that happened to you. Its is couresty if they decide to hold that for you and it is not a contract until you sign something. I think that I would be pretty upset and would talk to them and find out what the problem was that you believed that you were looking over the contract and was going to put down your deposit. So I would ask what they could do for you and if they did not want to honor you and tell the other party that they made a mistake that they had already worked out something with someone else previously. Then I would take my business somewhere else.
  • jennuinnejennuinne member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree...that sucks and is terrible customer service. I wouldn't trust them or want to work with them. I would, however, take pleasure in letting everyone know what they did. It's not a contract unless you gave up something in reliance on their verbal agreement...so, you probably have no legal remedy. But, I realize, that's not really the point. Maybe you'll end up finding a much more fabulous venue with much better customer service and will be thankful that they f'd up. : )
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I don't care if any one else is using them. i want to know. thats bs.
    BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker we're having twins!
  • edited December 2011
    I can understand, but I also would be worried about their iffy business practices affecting other Knotties. If you're worried about retaliation from them, you can post on FB.
    Family fall photo session with Ashley Hoyle Photography
    Married 7/10/10
    Wedding Planning Bio - Updated 6/13/2010
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    you should talk to a manager and explain to them what they did and how it was wrong.. maybe they will give you a discount for another day! its worth a try!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards