Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth

Intro+Help Needed+Reviews=Really Really Long Post

Hello Lovely Knotties.  I am a FI (male version) and have recently proposed to my DF the beginning of February.  I have absolutely awesome timing since she's in the middle of her last semester of her Master's degree and currently working two jobs.  Let's throw in a wedding to plan. (sarcasm alert!) Needless to say, she's got a bit on her plate and I'd like to try to help out as much as I can.. at least as much as my already-restricted gender genes will allow me.  Here are some details of our future wedding:

Date: 12/8/2013 (Sunday)
Guest list: 250 (Asian-family.. our parents' guests total 100 already -_-)  Not very negotiable as it's the culture for the parents to be able to show off their kids to their friends..
Bridal party: 24 (She has 12 BM that she practically grew up with.. which means I have 12 GM)  I had to reach out to my buddies all over the states for that one (I was in the Marines for 5 years so I've only really been here in Dallas for the last 2.. not too many close friends around the area)
Budget: $20k (with an extra 10k in reserves) Her family really wants a traditional Asian reception which is traditionally held at a cheap Asian restaurant that serves between 6-8 courses and is BYOB.  She said she'd prefer not to have one of the happiest moments in her life be at a cheap asian restaurant where she wouldn't be able to eat at (She has celiacs) so we'll be funding most of the wedding ourselves.  Her mother (who owns a liquor store) has graciously donated everything we need for an open bar.
Ambience: We'd like the shin dig to be described as elegant and classy with a splash of modern.  I'm having my buddies from my old unit come in and do the Arc of Sabers for us at our ceremony Sealed

The Problem: The Reception Venue
After lurking on these boards and extensive googling we've gone to see 7 venues already (Our Saturdays have been packed with Sunday reserved as our day of rest.. even though we still fit in a photographer or DJ interview in sometimes). We'd prefer it to be BYOB since her mother is providing all of the alcohol, but if it falls within our budget and specs, I'm not going to complain.  We'd also prefer a place that had its own site for a ceremony just for the convenience of things.  Here's a quick low-down of the places we've checked out already (There are plenty of positives for each, but I'll list what we didn't like about it... maybe we're being too picky or maybe there's a quick fix to these problems?):

1) The Old Red Museum: Didn't really liked the exposed stone.  Reception area seemed a bit divided.. columns were a little big.
2) Addison Event Center: Didn't like the side entrance.. looked a little small.  No room for a ceremony.
3) Addison Convention and Theatre Center: Had more of a conference feel to it.  Where to do the ceremony?
4) Dallas Scottish Rite Cathedral: Loved everything about it!  Exclusive caterer caused us to go over budget though as they weren't very flexible with us on the alcohol.
5) Bella at II Creeks in Richardson: Possible for reception.. a lot of extra fees for our own caterer and alcohol.  The ceremony room had exposed brick and stained concrete that we weren't a fan of.
6) The Room on Main: This place looked great for a reception but DF was worried that if we had a ceremony and people went to the side for cocktail hour while they flipped the area into a reception, all our guests would see the flipping and moving and it wouldn't seem as elegant.  We'd have a better chance to get a wow effect if they saw it reception-style for the first time when they walked through the doors.  The foyer was also a bit small so I can see a bit of a bottle neck there when people came to check in/sign the guestbook.  So the only big negative on this is finding a nice ceremony site nearby?  We're also kind of scared of how all of the things we want there will add up. (exclusive uplighting.. parking..etc)
7) The Museum of Biblical Art: Nice venue! We didn't like the art paintings in our reception hall though. Scared of the coordinator, she had bad reviews.. She also didn't come out to greet us or anything.. her assistant did all the talking. Also, there will be children at our wedding and we definitely don't want to be held liable for anything getting damaged there.

Phew.. That was rough.  If you've made it this far then you really care!  We plan to check out the Heard and Perot museum as well and possibly City Place (but we don't like how the dance floor on the 42nd is separate from the dining area)..

Finally.. Small problems biting at our ankles:
A really good friend from my high school years has started her own wedding planning business.  She's certified and has been mentored by a wedding planner who's been voted the best of Dallas (The name escapes me ATM)  She's been doing all of this since last September.  I really want to support her.  Her rates start off at about $1k for day of (month of) planning.  Is this a fair rate?  I haven't had the time to do the market research into the wedding planning business but maybe a few knotties could give me a shot from the hip and tell me if this is an alright deal?  I do trust her work ethic, management skills and her eye for details though.  My main goal out of hiring a planner is that my DF and I can enjoy our wedding (and maybe even eat)

DJ - We've got some quotes to test the going rate.  I feel like I've negotiated an awesome deal with one particular DJ where he'll include a dance lighting set, 3 pin spots, uplighting the room, 2 LCD tvs, a Spot light and a gobo.. oh and he'll mix the music for us too :P.  What would be considered a good deal for you knotties on this?  The only caveat.. He's got a strong Latin accent.  This means I'd rather err on the side of caution and have a separate MC.  Thoughts?  Should I hire a DJ who can be my MC as well?  Get an outgoing GM to do it and get this DJ? Or actually hire a separate MC? 

Sorry.. If you've gotten this far.. you've just spent a good 10-15 minutes you'll never get back.  So don't let those minutes be in vain!  Reply and help an exasperated FI out! 

-KIRA

Re: Intro+Help Needed+Reviews=Really Really Long Post

• Hello Lovely Knotties.  I am a FI (male version) and have recently proposed to my DF the beginning of February.  I have absolutely awesome timing since she's in the middle of her last semester of her Master's degree and currently working two jobs.  Let's throw in a wedding to plan. (sarcasm alert!) Needless to say, she's got a bit on her plate and I'd like to try to help out as much as I can.. at least as much as my already-restricted gender genes will allow me.  Here are some details of our future wedding:

Date: 12/8/2013 (Sunday)
    Guest list: 250 (Asian-family.. our parents' guests total 100 already -_-)  Not very negotiable as it's the culture for the parents to be able to show off their kids to their friends..
    Bridal party: 24 (She has 12 BM that she practically grew up with.. which means I have 12 GM)  I had to reach out to my buddies all over the states for that one (I was in the Marines for 5 years so I've only really been here in Dallas for the last 2.. not too many close friends around the area)
    Budget: $20k (with an extra 10k in reserves) Her family really wants a traditional Asian reception which is traditionally held at a cheap Asian restaurant that serves between 6-8 courses and is BYOB.  She said she'd prefer not to have one of the happiest moments in her life be at a cheap asian restaurant where she wouldn't be able to eat at (She has celiacs) so we'll be funding most of the wedding ourselves.  Her mother (who owns a liquor store) has graciously donated everything we need for an open bar.
    Ambience: We'd like the shin dig to be described as elegant and classy with a splash of modern.  I'm having my buddies from my old unit come in and do the Arc of Sabers for us at our ceremony Sealed

The Problem: The Reception Venue
    After lurking on these boards and extensive googling we've gone to see 7 venues already (Our Saturdays have been packed with Sunday reserved as our day of rest.. even though we still fit in a photographer or DJ interview in sometimes). We'd prefer it to be BYOB since her mother is providing all of the alcohol, but if it falls within our budget and specs, I'm not going to complain.  We'd also prefer a place that had its own site for a ceremony just for the convenience of things.  Here's a quick low-down of the places we've checked out already (There are plenty of positives for each, but I'll list what we didn't like about it... maybe we're being too picky or maybe there's a quick fix to these problems?):

1) The Old Red Museum: Didn't really liked the exposed stone.  Reception area seemed a bit divided.. columns were a little big.
    2) Addison Event Center: Didn't like the side entrance.. looked a little small.  No room for a ceremony.
    3) Addison Convention and Theatre Center: Had more of a conference feel to it.  Where to do the ceremony?
    4) Dallas Scottish Rite Cathedral: Loved everything about it!  Exclusive caterer caused us to go over budget though as they weren't very flexible with us on the alcohol.
    5) Bella at II Creeks in Richardson: Possible for reception.. a lot of extra fees for our own caterer and alcohol.  The ceremony room had exposed brick and stained concrete that we weren't a fan of.
    6) The Room on Main: This place looked great for a reception but DF was worried that if we had a ceremony and people went to the side for cocktail hour while they flipped the area into a reception, all our guests would see the flipping and moving and it wouldn't seem as elegant.  We'd have a better chance to get a wow effect if they saw it reception-style for the first time when they walked through the doors.  The foyer was also a bit small so I can see a bit of a bottle neck there when people came to check in/sign the guestbook.  So the only big negative on this is finding a nice ceremony site nearby?  We're also kind of scared of how all of the things we want there will add up. (exclusive uplighting.. parking..etc)
    7) The Museum of Biblical Art: Nice venue! We didn't like the art paintings in our reception hall though. Scared of the coordinator, she had bad reviews.. She also didn't come out to greet us or anything.. her assistant did all the talking. Also, there will be children at our wedding and we definitely don't want to be held liable for anything getting damaged there.

Phew.. That was rough.  If you've made it this far then you really care!  We plan to check out the Heard and Perot museum as well and possibly City Place (but we don't like how the dance floor on the 42nd is separate from the dining area)..

Finally.. Small problems biting at our ankles:
    A really good friend from my high school years has started her own wedding planning business.  She's certified and has been mentored by a wedding planner who's been voted the best of Dallas (The name escapes me ATM)  She's been doing all of this since last September.  I really want to support her.  Her rates start off at about $1k for day of (month of) planning.  Is this a fair rate?  I haven't had the time to do the market research into the wedding planning business but maybe a few knotties could give me a shot from the hip and tell me if this is an alright deal?  I do trust her work ethic, management skills and her eye for details though.  My main goal out of hiring a planner is that my DF and I can enjoy our wedding (and maybe even eat)

DJ - We've got some quotes to test the going rate.  I feel like I've negotiated an awesome deal with one particular DJ where he'll include a dance lighting set, 3 pin spots, uplighting the room, 2 LCD tvs, a Spot light and a gobo.. oh and he'll mix the music for us too :P.  What would be considered a good deal for you knotties on this?  The only caveat.. He's got a strong Latin accent.  This means I'd rather err on the side of caution and have a separate MC.  Thoughts?  Should I hire a DJ who can be my MC as well?  Get an outgoing GM to do it and get this DJ? Or actually hire a separate MC? 

Sorry.. If you've gotten this far.. you've just spent a good 10-15 minutes you'll never get back.  So don't let those minutes be in vain!  Reply and help an exasperated FI out! 

-KIRA</~root~>
  • I had my reception at Cityplace and I'm not sure what you mean by the dining area being separate from the dance floor.  We had dinner and dancing in the loft space, with cocktail hour set up in the club space, and we had roughly 250 guests in attendance.

I think Hickory Street Annex is BYOB, and it has a neat modern feel.  There's also 333 First Avenue, which is gorgeous, but when my husband and I saw it we agreed it was "too cool" for us, so that might have the feel you're looking for.

As for your coordinator, I know I've seen day-of coordination for less, but $1000 for month-of sounds pretty reasonable, especially for someone who has been independent for less than a year.  For a reference, I paid about $3K, give or take, for full service coordination, and I will always say it was the best money I spent for exactly the reason you mentioned -- the whole process of planning our wedding and enjoying the day was so smooth.

DJ: I personally prefer a DJ to be a little... quieter?  Obviously you want someone to introduce certain "big" moments, like the toasts and the father/daughter dance, but I feel like when I'm at a wedding where the DJ just keeps talking to the crowd, I get pretty annoyed.  If this guy you're looking at has been in the business for any length of time, you should be able to find reviews on him, and if they don't mention his accent being a problem, then I wouldn't worry about it...  Overall I think what you described sounds like a great deal!

Congratulations!
    Anniversary

• Thanks professorscience!  You've always been a fountain of knowledge on these boards.  I really like how you set up CityPlace.  As we were looking at the floor plan we kind of just assumed that the dance floor would go in the club (since it's called a club) and dining would happen in the loft.  We didn't even think that the 200 ppl capacity we weren't using in the loft could be used as the dance floor!  We'll have to check it out now.  We'll definitely be checking out Hickory Street Annex and 333 First Ave as well.  (Looks like our next Saturday will be packed as well). 

As for the coordinator, I think you just helped a budding event coordinator get hired!  Thanks!

DJ:  The only review I've found for this DJ was back in 2009 and there was a complaint about his accent.  I've interviewed him though and he's already said his style is definitely not the loud-type of DJ.  What's the usual rate for that kind of package described above?
  • I don't really have the answers to these questions but your descriptions sound a lot like someone that I have a lot of mutual friends with. Did you grow up in cfb? Are you talking about Sarah Kee as your planner? Jw cause all that sounds familiar...if not sorry for asking weird questions!
  • Lol.  PM'd.. crap.. you never saw me on here.. my friends would totally take my man card away!

• Definitely just get one DJ/MC. If you don't like this guy's accent, find someone else. There are a ton of great affordable DJs in Dallas. Don't over think the venue choicenothing is going to be perfect. If you search, there are recent posts where I've listed BYOB venues.
  • Thanks for the advice stephiehall.  You've also been pretty active on the boards and always willing to help everyone out.  Guess I'll have to delve in to the DJ world after the venues and photographers and videographers are all done with. 

I've found a bunch of posts that had lists of BYOB venues and outside catering venues that you suggested.  I've gone crosseyed looking through photos and seating capacities of each venue and filtering the ones out to our specs.  Some have picked up exclusive caterers (Scottish Rite just started doing exclusive catering  last December I think) and a lot just don't have the space to fit my big fat asian family!  (Not literally fat for any of them reading this)  Just thought some knotties might know some that fit my specs and wanted to save my vision. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_introhelp-neededreviewsreally-really-long-post?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:d4e7bc86-82c9-4718-baad-c82e683806bdPost:2d162c8e-897f-4855-b3bf-8fcf137e3939">Re: professorscience</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks professorscience!  You've always been a fountain of knowledge on these boards.  I really like how you set up CityPlace.  As we were looking at the floor plan we kind of just assumed that the dance floor would go in the club (since it's called a club) and dining would happen in the loft.  We didn't even think that the 200 ppl capacity we weren't using in the loft could be used as the dance floor!  We'll have to check it out now.  <strong>We'll definitely be checking out Hickory Street Annex and 333 First Ave as well.  (Looks like our next Saturday will be packed as well).</strong>  As for the coordinator, I think you just helped a budding event coordinator get hired!  Thanks! DJ:  The only review I've found for this DJ was back in 2009 and there was a complaint about his accent.  I've interviewed him though and he's already said his style is definitely not the loud-type of DJ.  What's the usual rate for that kind of package described above?
    Posted by KnightInRustyArmor[/QUOTE]

<div>They're really close to each other, so it shouldn't take you too terribly long to see them both!</div><div>
    </div><div>We really wanted the club part because of the neat bar and the view of downtown, but our guest count was too big for everyone to fit.  They were nice enough to let us do cocktail hour in there (which we missed, but whatever).  The loft was set up with the dance floor in the middle, and 12 and 13 round tables on both sides.  They had one bar in a corner of the loft, and another bar right outside in the atrium.  The food stations were also in the atrium, which was really nice because with all the tables it would have gotten suuuuper crowded to have food in there, too.</div><div>
    </div><div>I don't know about DJ packages.  We went with pretty minimal decor -- just uplights -- so I can't really speak to the cost of everything you need.  I agree with Stephie, though.  Since the DJ is responsible for keeping the "mood" of the reception going, if you're at all uncomfortable, go with someone else.</div>
    Anniversary

• Well I was going to suggest Trinity River Audoban Center but see they now have an exclusive caterer as well. I'm not crazy about HSA's ceremony space but it might fit the bill. McKinney Cotton Mill is cool. I am no help with venues thoughI looked at one! : I loved my DJ Glen Roush and he also owns LeForce Entertainment who Professorscience used.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards