Snarky Brides

How easily $1k can be wasted

Apparently whether your loan is subsidized or non-subsidized determines how long your interest is frozen on a school loan.  Anthony was given way more money than he needed for his classes but we held onto the total amount anyway, since shortly after he got it, I lost my job and we thought, maybe we'll just give it back a little later in case this situation is worse than we think.  So I get a job and we're probably going to pay off a big chunk soon, but it just slips our minds and we figure we have til the end of the year before interest starts accruing.  Uh, not so much.  We just racked up $800 in interest and got a bill for it.  Apparently, his loan was sold and changed status (subsidized/non, I'm not sure) so now we owe interest. POOP.  His old-old loans are still frozen and not accruing, so I know we are somehow getting screwed here.  I don't know a lot about this since I let him handle all this himself.Then I turned in my "proof of new insurance" papers to Twan's employer too late and it's past the 30 day cut off (I'm within 30 days of when I did the paperwork, but apparently the deadline is 30 days from your start date -- BS).  So now I have to pay for two insurance policies through the end of the year.  So that's like $400 there.So in one day, I found out we wasted nearly $1000.  I drank several beers yesterday.
"As of page 2 this might be the most boring argument ever. It's making me long for Rape Day." - Mouse

Re: How easily $1k can be wasted

• That sucks Fent, I have heard there was _shitty stuff going on with student loans lately.  
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Savannah
    image.
    Callista
    Baby Trail Blog
    "Someday we will look at our babies and know it will be worth it. If it was easy, we would not have had our babies, the babies we were meant to have." From Amy052006
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • But you have $500 coming so consider it only $500 wasted.  Either way it sucks, man.
  • That sucks but don't forget to claim the interest paid as a tax deduction if you're income eligible.
    TTC since 07/11 Me: 32 AO PCOS/DH: 32 Lowish count/motility IUI#1-3 = BFN (Clomid, Clomid-->Femara, Injects) IVF#1 ER on 9/24 19 ER/19 M/9 F w/ICSI Transferred a 5AA and a 5BB on 9/29 Beta 10/9 = 139 Beta 10/11 = 287
    imageimageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

My Blog

• Why do I have $500 coming?
    "As of page 2 this might be the most boring argument ever. It's making me long for Rape Day." - Mouse
  • Twan's bonus?That sucks, though.  J has a shitton of student loans and I sometimes feel like we'll never get them paid off.  But I pretty much let him take care of it, so I have no idea exactly how bad it is.  Student loans are the debil
  • That sucks Fenton. Does Twan's health insurance have open season? That starts soon and you should be able to switch. Plus, you might want to check with the "changes in life circumanstances" or something like that because you changing jobs might allow you to get back on his.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards