Hawaii

Need ideas...

My grandmother recently passed away and when going through some of her stuff, I found a blue, silk scarf.  I was thinking of using it as my "something blue" but not really sure how to integrate it.  It doesn't need to be seen...I was thinking of maybe just cutting a piece of it and sewing it to the inside of my dress?  Or somehow using the fabric to make my garter?  Any ideas???

Re: Need ideas...

• jrossbjrossb member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You could also wrap it around your bouquet some how?? Unless you don't want the blue to show?? Just a thought... or possibly you could use part of it as the bow on something for your garter like you said or just a small piece of it tied in a bow on your bra if you want it on you... that way you don't have to sew to your dress? I hope this helps. What a great idea to intergrate that into your wedding to remember her! :)
  • vanilla15vanilla15 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think all of the pp suggestions are good ideas.  I did  something similar with my bouquet...I wrapped my bouquet with an old Hawaii handkerchief that DH's Uncle bought for DH's Aunt during the war & I used it as my something old.
    imageLilypie Second Birthday tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited December 2011
    I love the idea of using it to wrap your bouquet, if you have one. That would be sweet. Also, if you wanted, you could incorporate it into some of your photos during your photo time...... you could wear it around your neck for a couple photos...... or just hold one end and have it floating in the air around you/behind you/above you.That could be neat and very lovely and meaningful.
  • edited December 2011
    i actually used my friends garter that wasnt at my wedding and wrapped it right underneath the top of my bouquet. it wasn't really showing but i knew it was there. i really like the bouquet idea.
    ryan and jennifer |august 10, 2009| lanikuhonua phase II
  • KKakesKKakes member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I love the bouquet idea :) You could also integrate it into your ring pillow as well (I sewed mine so did something similar). My grandmother and my DH's grandmother also passed away this year and to honor them we tied their rings to our ring pillow (instead of ours) so that they could "walk down the aisle" in front of us. It was a really special thing. You could do something like this by sewing in the fabric to your pillow maybe!
  • edited December 2011
    Great ideas!  I really like the bouquet idea too.  I'm not sure if the blue will match, but I'll see if I can tie it in somehow.  I'm planning on presenting my bouquet to my mom at the end of the night, so it would be meaningful to her too.  Thanks ladies!
  • edited December 2011
    I like the bouquet idea.Are you thinking about honoring your grandmother during the ceremony?  If so, maybe you could reserve a chair for her during the ceremony and tie the scarf around the chair?
  • edited December 2011
    Hey Jamie!  Since your wedding colors are purple, I don't know if I would tie it around your bouquet.  But I do love the idea of having it wrapped around your bouquet when you present it to your mom.  How thick/long is the scarf?  Could you use it a handkerchief?  If so, then just tuck it in somewhere during the ceremony (bra???) and then tie it around your bouquet for the reception before you present the bouquet to your mom???  If it's a long scarf, then you could definitely cut off a small strip and use that to make you garter.  Then you could still use the rest for the bouquet presentation.  Good luck!  I think it's so wonderful to be able to have your grandmother still be part of your wedding!   :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards