New Jersey - South

Canon n D for entrance?

Who used it or is using it?  I'm planning on using it as my entrance but wondering if I should do it for both mine and the bridal party.  The aisle at my church isn't long and the organist told me to walk really slow b/c if not you never get to hear the song but I'd have to walk REALLY slow I've realized after listeing to the song.Has anyone had the bridal party and the bride both walk into the same song?   He didn't suggest it so I'm wondering if it would workTIA

Re: Canon n D for entrance?

• JeffDawn09JeffDawn09 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I thought it was customary to use one piece for the bridal party and then the "here comes the bride" piece for your entrance.  That's what I'm doing.. but everyone's different and you don't have that long walk to the altar so I see your reasoning.    If it works for you to just use the one.. then surely you should do it. 
  • edited December 2011
    I plan on using it for my bridal party and I'm walking into here comes the bride. I've been to a lot of weddings where the bride does not use here comes the bride. My best friend walked down the aisle to canon in d, but she had a fairly long aisle and the bridal party walked down to something else. I've never seen the bridal party and the bride walk into the same song, but if you want to, why not?
  • lmck7979lmck7979 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I used "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring" for my bridesmaids to walk in to, and I walked in to Canon in D.  I had a pretty long aisle to walk though, so we were able to hear pretty much the whole song.  IMO, if you have yourself and the bridesmaids walk in to the same music, it might make your entrance less special.  GL!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • shanr09shanr09 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I plan on using it for my 12/12 wedding for both the bridesmaids and me. the organist recommended using it for both because it is a long song.... does anyone know if there is difference in sheet music from the pach. canon in d and the a christmas version?
  • nygirl07nygirl07 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    shanr: I've been listening to the versions online and they seem to be the same...Someone suggested that if I do it for both to have the song split and have the organist pause and place the more intense party when I enter.I might just do it for my entrance though and stick with Jesu de joy of man's desiring for the bridal party. I met with the organist today and he said that he could start the song that have the doors open and there be a pause while everyone stands and then we start walking slowly.  I don't care if I don't hear the whole song but I want it to be recognized.  Now it's just hoping that I remember to walk slow
  • edited December 2011
    I'm using Canon in D as my entrance. I'm actually NOT ALLOWED to use Here Comes the Bride, believe it or not. I always wanted Canon in D anyway, but what a weird rule! I haven't thought about if I'll use the same song for my BMs yet - the aisle isn't very long so I'm not sure. We're using a string trio so I'll most likely go with their recommendation. Honestly, I've never noticed if the song is the same or different for any wedding I've gone to.
    Yorkie Jenga

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited December 2011
    I love the song too! However, I was in a wedding where the bride had us BMs come down to that song and then the song kept going and she then came down the aisle and people in the pews were a little confused and then surprised when she was halfway down the aisle b/c I guess they were expecting a different song to announce her.  Of course we didn't notice this during the moment but it was really obvious while watching the wedding video.
    BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    We used Canon in D for seating of the grandmothers and mothers. I picked different songs for my bmaids and me. IMO, it 's more dramatic and noticeable to use a different song, but it's not mandatory. My bmaids walked to 'Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring' and I walked into 'Trumpet Voluntary.' I love love love Canon in D, but sometimes I find it too solemn.. I didn't want something uber solemn because I didn't want to cry as I walked :)
  • edited December 2011
    I was in a wedding 2 weeks ago and she used Canon D for both us BM's and her entrance. There was nothing to break it up and have her entrance any different. You could tell from the guests that they were a little confused. Do whatever works best for you but I would suggest doing something different to differentiate yourself from your bridal party.
  • nygirl07nygirl07 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for telling me about the weddings that did use it for both...that was my concern so I definetly won't do that.    
  • sbf2sbf2 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The Canon in D is one of the easiest songs to shorten or lengthen. I've played in a lot of weddings, and this song is used about 75% of the time. Your organist can skip sections and arrange the piece to play it however long you need it to be. If your organist is unable to do this, this is speaking very strongly about their level of skill. You should be able to select any music you want and it is the musician's responsibility to figure out how to properly arrange it for the amount of time needed. Also, the tempo can be modified to how fast you'd like to walk, but generally the tempo it is known for isn't too fast.Also, if you'd like to use it for your bridal party, you can have the organist start the melody over for your entrance to make guests aware of your entrance.
  • shanr09shanr09 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I did alittle research, about 2 minutes into the song it gets more "fun", my favorite part, I"m going wait for that part to enter, I only have 5 bridesmaids...maybe the organist can change the tempo or something! we'll see, glad other people are in this canon d boat, haha!
  • edited December 2011
    I walked into Canon and my BMs walked into Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring. It worked out very well and made for a more dramatic entrance as stated by pp. You do not start going down the aisle right away (they start the song, everyone stands, the doors open, everyone looks at you and snaps pics, and THEN you start your slow walk down the aisle) so the organist will play plenty of the song.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards