Attire & Accessories Forum

Petite and looking for a Wedding Dress

My name is Rebecca and I am about 5ft2 and I am being my search for my Wedding Dress. I am not really sure where to start because I am not really sure what would work with my hieght. I hoping that someone will read this post and give me some direction or some information on where I should being my search. Thank you Rebecca AKA: Shawn's Bride To Be
I LOVE BEING A FUTURE BRIDE AND I CAN'T WAIT TO BE A WIFE :)Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Petite and looking for a Wedding Dress

• typically I think they suggest a simple A-Line gown for more petite girls.
    ~Chelsea~
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm 5 ft so I totally know how you feel. I brought a pair of tall heels with me when I tried of dresses to help get the overall feel. The dresses will be way too long but remember, the dresses will be made according to your height. Sometimes its hard to imagine what they will look so use your imagination.As for cut.. I found modified alines, fit and flare and even almost mermaids looked best on me. I know the big full skirts/pick up gowns would engulf me so after I tried on the first "disaster" I moved on to more figure flattering dresses. i also think strapless & sweetheart neckline dresses make me look taller. hth!
  • I'm five one, and the dresses that looked the best did not have a defined waist, and were not big ballgowns. A-line, modified A, and fit and flare were the best. I saw on your ticker you have two years to your wedding day. Do NOT buy your dress now. Don't even go look. Wait until you are a year out. Otherwise, you risk loving another dress closer to your date, and end up a two-dress bride. I also wouldn't try on dresses until you have your venue secured.
  • I'm 5'0 and well I would just try on whatever you think will work as each dress is always tailored to exactly fit you!
  • Thank you sooooooooooooooooooooo very much for all your help in this area, I really want to say thank you :). Good Luck with your upcoming Weddings everybody :).
    I LOVE BEING A FUTURE BRIDE AND I CAN'T WAIT TO BE A WIFE :)Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm 5'2" and I chose the dress below, I wouldn't say there is a specific style that works for petite's, I just tried on a little bit of everything.  Good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • It will also depend on your body shape.  I was a gymnast so I'm short with no hips and no boobs.  The mermaid fit made me look like I had curves and a halter top made me appear taller since the dress continues up higher.
  • I am only 5 foot and I found a Watters dress. It has an empire waste and it really adds height to me! The ball gowns and fuller dresses made me look shorter. Good Luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm 5'3" and have a thin frame, but I ended up with a beautiful ballgown dress. I don't think it's too big or engulfs me, but that might be the style. I'd encourage you to try on anything! It's important to see a style on you, and not always trust what everyone says. If you want, I can send you a picture, so you can see that not all ballgowns are off-limits for us petite brides :) Let me know, and good luck!
  • im a little late to this. i found that more fitted dresses looked better because they didnt overwhelm a small frame. i ended up with a fit and flare gown. the same one as october010bride, actually. :)
  • Hi Rebecca~I am very petite as well, a little over 5'0.  I tried on about 30 dresses before choosing.  I tried on all different shapes and styles.  The mermaid style look far better than the rest.  I was LOST in the ballgowns, the ALines just didn't give me any shape at all.  I can email you pictures of my dress if you'd like.Good luck!
  • I also think it depends on your shape. I am 5'1'' size 8 BUT rather chesty with hourglass figure. I rocked the strapless ballgown. I also loved the fit and flair but the ballgown looked the best on my figure.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards