Iowa-Des Moines

Assigned Tables

Hi! I'm getting married in a few weeks and I'm trying to do decide if I should do assigned seating or not.
220 guest, room holds 240 if I cover the dance floor with tables (I'd have to break them down for the dance)
Are you doing assigned seating/tables/none of the above?! Thanks!! :)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Due May 10, 2012

Re: Assigned Tables

• Daisy1LuluDaisy1Lulu member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i personally really like it when the bride and groom take the time to assign seating because then I don't feel like I have to run into the reception and find a table that's not already full.  ok, maybe I don't run, but you know what I mean.  That's why we did assigned seating at our wedding.  If you don't have time then it's something you can leave out, but I always think it's a nice touch.
  • edited December 2011
    im not doing it. i dont want to risk sitting people together that can't get along! i'd rather them stare from across the room then fight but thats just my family!
  • kdyer09kdyer09 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    While I'm not getting married until next year, I've been to plenty of weddings and participated in several.  I've always thought it nice to not have to worry where I'm sitting and can enjoy taking my time getting to the reception area.  Also, it's awkward if a couple has to split up due to an odd amount of people or something like that.  You should know your guests well enough to put them with people they have something in common with!
  • edited December 2011
    I'd say yes, assign seating. The reason being that people are not going to fill the tables if they pick seating themselves. There will be single seats all over and couples will have to split up just to sit and eat. Then you'll have other tables where everyone wants to sit together so a table for 10 becomes a table of 15 because they just pulled chairs over from others. You'll have people standing along the wall because they don't know anyone and there aren't any available tables anymore. It will be a mess for you and the catering crew.

Other advice I've seen here on TK is that if you don't assign tables you need to have 1.5 times more seating than guests. So you'd need another 110 seats give or take in order for everyone to sit where they want to.

Make the seating chart.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_iowa-des-moines_assigned-tables?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:80Discussion:ff62f426-9605-4546-b7e9-3f8237b5be63Post:d1f479db-f245-4c1d-9376-bdefb5dd0860">Re: Assigned Tables</a>:
    [QUOTE]While I'm not getting married until next year, I've been to plenty of weddings and participated in several.  I've always thought it nice to not have to worry where I'm sitting and can enjoy taking my time getting to the reception area.  Also, it's awkward if a couple has to split up due to an odd amount of people or something like that.  You should know your guests well enough to put them with people they have something in common with!
    Posted by kdyer09[/QUOTE]

some people have thier own lives and dont have the time to keep tabs on who's getting along and who's not! what is so wrong with letting people have a choice? i'm sorry but that's just like saying gay marrage is wrong! it's not wrong it's love.so why tell people what to do let them have a choice and no harms done.i just feel (and this is my pure 100% opion) that it is tourture to tell people what to do just because your a bride and you think you can!
  • edited December 2011
    I would only point out that the people who are sitting on the tables on the dance floor will not have a seat when you take their tables down. If seating is open then it would be less awkward for them to move to another table. If seating is assigned they may feel as though they are stealing someone's seat. Otherwise I do like assigned seating but I can see arguments for both!
    ~basquing in the wedded bliss~
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards