Kentucky-Louisville

Cannolis?

Does anybody know of a bakery that does really good, really authentic cannolis?  FI (from Boston) loves them, and while I've found some (Heitzman's) that he'll eat, they aren't quite right.  In addition to being able to treat him from time to time just because, he wants to do cannoli's in lieu of a Groom's Cake.
DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
Mom to J: 2011
Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485

Re: Cannolis?

• edited December 2011
    Have you tried Desserts by Helen?  I have no idea if they keep them on rotation, but her desserts are magnificent.
  • squirrlysquirrly member
    Name Dropper First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've had her Italian Cream Cake before, but that's it.  And, her website is most unhelpful.  I'll call this afternoon & see if I can pick some up.  Thanks!
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • edited December 2011
    That woman can make some serious stuff!!! I go by there every few months and she will fix me up a box of different things. I just stand there and point and she fills the box and cheerfully accepts my credit card. haha! Then my husband and I divide on each night. 'Chocolate Surprise' is DA BOMB! Sweet Surrender is another FABULOUS place to go for desserts too. I have no idea if either one makes cannolis in specific, but both are great places for sweets.
  • edited December 2011
    OMG...Sweet Surrender...how could I forget?!?!*drools*
    edited December 2011
    Sweet Surrender and Desserts by Helen do not do cannoli's at all.  Helen said she *might* be able to do them, but the recipe she normally uses doesn't match up with what FI wants.  Somebody else told me to call The Bakery at Sullivan.  They do them.  But, with chocolate chips in them & they won't deviate.  Even for a 10 dozen order.  Gah!  I predict that this ends up being the single most stressful thing for the wedding.  Really.
    DIY & Planning | Married 

• RosemaryCBRosemaryCB member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    What about Lotsa Pasta on Lexington Road in Louisville?  They do a lot of homemade Italian food--if they don't make them, maybe they can send a name your way...http://www.lotsapastalouisville.com/
    edited December 2011
    I shop in there fairly often looking for authentic-ish stuff for FI.  I haven't seen any cannoli's but I didn't think to ask them for a name.  I'll try that tomorrow. 
    DIY & Planning | Married 

• edited December 2011
    I was thinking too, maybe you could call Porchini's too and/or some of the other Italian places that are privately owned. If they have a head chef, it may be worth tapping into their knowledge and they could get you pointed in the right direction. Or, maybe they would be willing to whip something up for you? Couldn't hurt to ask. ;-)
  • edited December 2011
    Dang..that sucks!!!!
  • millieandsheamillieandshea member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was just curious to know if you found anyone to make them?
    edited December 2011
    Not yet.  My work day was really busy this morning, and I didn't get any calls made.  Then, the Fort Hood tragedy sort of consumed the end of the work day.  (My FI has friends stationed at Fort Hood.)
    DIY & Planning | Married 

• edited December 2011
    The Fresh Market makes them, and I thought they were good. It's worth a try.
    edited December 2011
    There are a lot of places that have them, but virtually all of them have the chocolate chips in them - and FI can't stand those.  (And, it turns out, those places order the filling pre-made, so they can't take the chips out.)  The rest either have gritty filling, or soggy shells.  I need to try Lexington too, since our wedding is actually in Georgetown, but since I'm not up there much it would be easier to get them in Louisville.As soon as I find them, I'll let you all know where so you can indulge too!
    DIY & Planning | Married 

• edited December 2011
    There's a little lunch place on Main St. that has them called Luigi's. I'm guessing they do not make them in house, but he might know of either a good place to get them in town or a good place to order them and have them shipped.
  • edited December 2011
    Hey..i think I found out something for you..can you email me at meganlela @ a o l .com?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards