Chit Chat

Birth Control

2»

Re: Birth Control

• staar987staar987 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited February 2013
    <div align="left">In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_birth-control-8?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:1150f974-3fc1-44f0-be86-40bf9abd6ff3Post:59132654-c364-4d6d-a692-00bf1c74ce94">Re: Birth Control</a>:
    [QUOTE]I was on the Depo shot for 10 years and loved it. I did gain a significant amount of weight (about 20 lbs) but at the time I weighed all of 95lbs so the weight gain didn't bother me. I did not get a period the entire time I was on the depo. Over this past summer I switched to the Ortho tri cyclen pill because the longer you are on Depo the longer it can take to get pregnant after you stop taking it. I hate it. The first couple months it made me nauseous. Then I developed a fibroadenomas in my breast. It is a benign lump that can be caused by hormone changes. I ultimately had to have surgery to have it removed. I also hate having to remember to take a pill everyday. Those are just my experiences and you should definitely talk with your doctor to find out what is best for you. You may have to try a few different kinds to see what works best for you. Everyone is different.
    Posted by crystaldbl[/QUOTE]

And here is a great example of why everyone gave you the advice they did.

I was on the depo shot for about a year. I hated it. I bled/spotted the ENTIRE time I was on it. Once I stopped, I didn't have a period for a year. My body didn't respond well to depo, crystal's did. That just makes it a bad option for me, not for you.

No one here was rude to you. You were told that it was rude to change a post so that you'd know for the future. You were told why no one gave you their recommendations on what to take. Any birth control could work well with your body or not. Your doctor knows all the side effects and your body. We don't.

ETA: Trying to fix the centering. Why does TK insist that all my posts be centered? Grrrr</div>

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_birth-control-8?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:1150f974-3fc1-44f0-be86-40bf9abd6ff3Post:cd7926bb-66ea-4f80-969b-dafc226167f6">Re: Birth Control</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Birth Control : And here is a great example of why everyone gave you the advice they did. I was on the depo shot for about a year. I hated it. I bled/spotted the ENTIRE time I was on it. Once I stopped, I didn't have a period for a year. My body didn't respond well to depo, crystal's did. That just makes it a bad option for me, not for you. No one here was rude to you. You were told that it was rude to change a post so that you'd know for the future. You were told why no one gave you their recommendations on what to take. Any birth control could work well with your body or not. Your doctor knows all the side effects and your body. We don't. ETA: <strong>Trying to fix the centering. Why does TK insist that all my posts be centered?</strong> Grrrr
    Posted by staar987[/QUOTE]

Your post doesn't look centered to me...but it keeps centering all mine! It is quite annoying!
    Anniversary
  • I hated the pill. It made me nauseous, depressed and just feel bad overall. My sister on the other had has no problem with it. I currently have a love/hate relationship with nuvaring. I don't feel sick or depressed and not taking it every day is nice but my libido has been hit with a bus. Like taken out, on the ground dead. I hate it. There are also some other side effect I don't like but the death of libido is the biggest. Hope this helps and good luck.

• 99% of the time people think their posts are centered, they aren't for those of us viewing them. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_birth-control-8?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:1150f974-3fc1-44f0-be86-40bf9abd6ff3Post:c342cb31-f3e2-4bfc-8f8c-1ae1e71a9989">Re: Birth Control</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Birth Control : Your post doesn't look centered to me...but it keeps centering all mine! It is quite annoying!
    Posted by Jessalyn2013[/QUOTE]

GRR!!! Mine does this too! All of mine look centered even if I an sure to press the button to put it to the left side. I swear i'm not trying to be retarded guys. :(
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_birth-control-8?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:1150f974-3fc1-44f0-be86-40bf9abd6ff3Post:76f10257-249f-49ae-8314-8041a80d0f91">Re: Birth Control</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Birth Control : GRR!!! Mine does this too! All of mine look centered even if I an sure to press the button to put it to the left side. I swear i'm not trying to be retarded guys. :(
    Posted by Jayceestar27[/QUOTE]

We know it isn't you! Mine does change once I go back in and edit it. I give up.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_birth-control-8?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:1150f974-3fc1-44f0-be86-40bf9abd6ff3Post:cd7926bb-66ea-4f80-969b-dafc226167f6">Re: Birth Control</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Birth Control : And here is a great example of why everyone gave you the advice they did. I was on the depo shot for about a year. I hated it. I bled/spotted the ENTIRE time I was on it. Once I stopped, I didn't have a period for a year. My body didn't respond well to depo, crystal's did. That just makes it a bad option for me, not for you. No one here was rude to you. You were told that it was rude to change a post so that you'd know for the future. You were told why no one gave you their recommendations on what to take. Any birth control could work well with your body or not. Your doctor knows all the side effects and your body. We don't. ETA: Trying to fix the centering. <strong>Why does TK insist that all my posts be centered? Grrrr
    </strong>Posted by staar987[/QUOTE]

Staar, the only person that can see your post as centered is you.  Every once in a while mine start centering themselves but it is only like that when I view the post not others.

• courtski2004courtski2004 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited February 2013
    <div align="left">In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_birth-control-8?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:1150f974-3fc1-44f0-be86-40bf9abd6ff3Post:153a2258-9ac1-4bec-b2c9-a83986b4f3af">Re: Birth Control</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Birth Control : I realized it was poory written and unclear, which is why I went back and edited it. I'm not yelling, nor am I being rude. I am upset that I have been talked down to for my post because it was apparently a really stupid thing to post. I'm new to the message boards, and this is not a great first experience. I was hoping to get some friendly conversation going and a peaceful exhange of experiences with different kinds of birth control, which totally failed. Sorry.
    Posted by jburgess4[/QUOTE]

I'm curious as to why you chose your first post to be something about birth control.

I went on BC at the age of 15 to shrink ovarian cysts, tried 4 different kinds of BC before I found one that didn't mess with my body chemistry, and after years of tests found that there is no real reason for me to be on BC other than when I have a new cyst since I can't get pregnant. Not exactly a friendly or peaceful topic for me, but I digress.

ETA: I guess what I was getting at but didn't articulate was that you will no doubt get confilcting remarks from people on something like this--the Depo Provera shot could be a godsend for Julie, but it made Charlotte gain 30 pounds and it took her body over a year to get back on a normal cycle after she stopped taking the quarterly shot. Your OB might not even be able to predict how one pill or dosage will react with your body. I feel like it is trial and error in a lot of ways and you will probably end up going to your OB more confused about BC now than you were before.</div>
  • I used to take Ortho Novum 777, a low dose pill and it had virtually no side effects and really helped my severe cramps and heavy periods.  I very rarely had spotting in between and my periods were very short.  However (and this was many years ago) I did become pregnant while on it.  I was taking antibiotics and was unaware that they lessened the effects of the pill.  Neither my doctor, nor the pharmacist, ever told me that (but again, this was back in the early 90's).  I actually found out years later from a girlfriend who said she had been sick and was going to make her husband use a condom for the next month.  I was like why and she told me about the antibiotic issue. 

Also be open and honest with your doctor.  My niece just suffered a blod clot in her lungs.  The ER doctor was shocked she was overweight and a smoker and on the pill.  Her OBGYN was furious when she found out and said she would never have prescribed her BC pills if she knew but my niece lied about the smoking.  She could be dead.  I also had a friend, who was a non smoker and in incredible physical shape, develop a blood clot in her lungs while taking YAZ. 

All drugs have risks.  I am now off the pill, I am older and FI got a vasectomy for my 40th birthday, and once off the pill I did lose about 10 pounds, mostly in my chest unfortunately.  Your Dr is the best person to give you advice but I also think it is good to talk to other women about their experiences. 
    June 2013 * March Siggy Challenge * Shoes
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to Re:Birth Control:[QUOTE]Put me on the "don't get why you would ask something so intimate for your first post" bandwagon.

I mean, if a good friend asks me if I've ever had a threesome, what kinds of sex toys do I like, or what age I lost my virginity at, I'll tell em. If a random stranger walks up to me an asks, I'm probably just going to stare at them pointedly until they get the message. Same principle with message boards. Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]

I think that's what's rubbed me so wrong here. We gave an answer one would give to be polite to a stranger asking an intimate question, and got tantrumed at. I don't owe anyone an explanation of my sexual health practices except my husband. Also, why in the entirety of the internet, would someone come to a wedding site for drug advice? Que???
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_birth-control-8?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:1150f974-3fc1-44f0-be86-40bf9abd6ff3Post:76f10257-249f-49ae-8314-8041a80d0f91">Re: Birth Control</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Birth Control : GRR!!! Mine does this too! All of mine look centered even if I an sure to press the button to put it to the left side. I swear i'm not trying to be <strong>retarded</strong> guys. :(
    Posted by Jayceestar27[/QUOTE]

<div>I have nothing of substance to add to the BC convo, but please stop using this word to mean stupid or wrong. It's grossly offensive. </div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_birth-control-8?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:1150f974-3fc1-44f0-be86-40bf9abd6ff3Post:8289d19e-098a-4871-a6ec-5e95e198f5db">Birth Control</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hey everyone! I'm getting married in June and I'm just wondering what has and hasn't worked for you. I know everyone's body is different and i DO plan on talking to my doctor, going to the Gyno and all that good stuff. Just curious to know what you all have used and how it effected you physically, emotionally...etc.

<div>
    </div><div>To actually answer your question... I never supported the depo shot. ALL my friends who have received it either got pregnant or bled for a straight three months. The BC Pill however has been more than successful in my circle of friends and family! I have been on it for a good 4 years and love it! I first took the pill to calm my menstrual cycles and thats exactly what it did, as of now, my period lasts three days, they are light and almost pain free! It also made me lose weight, cleared up my acne and has been great by preventing pregnancy! </div><div>
    </div><div>Plus it was free for me for a while. </div>
    ~Soon to become Mrs. O'Kane!~
  • SlothGoalsSlothGoals member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited February 2013
    <div class="Discussion_PostQuote" style="font-size:11.818181991577148px;margin-top:0px;margin-right:0px;margin-left:0px;outline:0px;vertical-align:baseline;font-family:Arial;">[QUOTE]I think everyone's point here is that you cannot just listen to anecdotal evidence on birth control. Do some research yourself first just to get an idea (from some legit websites). There's hormonal methods like pills, patches, nuvaring, and certain kinds of IUDs There's non-hormonal methods like a diaphragm or non-hormonal IUD There's fertility observed methods like the different kinds of NFP and FAM ETC... Lots of options... do some research...then of course, talk to your doctor about all your options. I will also add that your doctor has lots of wisdom and knowledge, but you as the patient should also present your concerns and research to make sure that you're finding the perfect fit.  You're the one that has to use it.
    Posted by monkeysip[/QUOTE]</div>

<span style="font-family:Arial;font-size:11.818181991577148px;background-color:#ffffff;">[QUOTE]</span><span style="background-color:#ffffff;font-family:Arial;font-size:11.818181991577148px;line-height:14px;">Thank you so much for the advice. I don't know why people aren't getting that I AM ALREADY PLANNING ON TALKING TO MY DOCTOR AND TAKING WHATEVER SHE PRESCRIBES. I'm not going to go in there and say, well hey this BC worked for so and so on the internet so I want to take it.[/QUOTE]</span><div><div><span style="font-family:Arial;font-size:11.818181991577148px;background-color:#ffffff;">
    </span></div><div><span style="font-family:Arial;font-size:11.818181991577148px;background-color:#ffffff;">Umm, this was actually a really nice answer. It outlined different types of BC to think about and gave you advice about what you should do before talking to your doctor. No need to flip out.</span></div></div>
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary 
  • In Response to Re:Birth Control:[QUOTE]You seriously edited your post AFTER it was quoted? nbsp;Whatever kind you use, please make sure you use it to the letter, because you are obviously nowhere near mature enough for kids. Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]

She's not ready for kids cause she edited her OP to make better sense for people new to the discussion and what she wanted to know? That's not completely uncalled for or anything.
    158 Invited image | 68 will be there image |6 can't make it image | 84 still need to reply! image
    RSVP Deadline: 4/6/13
    4/26/13 March Siggy Challenge: Bridesmaid Dresses

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • OP, doing some research on your own through credible sites (like a PP suggested) plus talking to your doctor about the best form of BC for you will be best. Honestly it just greatly depends on so many factors, that a post like this will never be productive for you.

You said in a reply that you wanted to hear if someone had issues with a certain pill or something so you can voice those concerns to your GYN. But that's our point: the problems or concerns ONE person has on a medication does not equal an automatic concern for you.

I switched pills recently and was poking around on the reviews on WebMD (out of curiosity more than anything-I was trying the pill regardless of the reviews) and may were negative and people complained of hair loss, fatigue, nausea, acne, low sex drive, etc. None of those issues happened for me. What is a concern for one person is not automatically a concern for you.

Instead, when your doctor suggest a certain type of BC, I would ask him/her about common side effects (though they won't all necessarily happen to you) and discuss those.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • yaz did make my period lighter but gave me tons of anxiety! I would have so many panic attacks for no reason. loestrin24fe is what i'm currently on, been on it for 3 years now, love it!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • In Response to Re:Birth Control:[QUOTE]In Response to Re:Birth Control:In Response to Re:Birth Control: She's not ready for kids cause she edited her OP to make better sense for people new to the discussion and what she wanted to know? That's not completely uncalled for or anything.Posted by allychaseNo, actually it was the lack of maturity in trying to hide her initial mistake, rather than adding to it or simply clarifying later in the post that I was referring to. nbsp;And, hell, I'm 29 and not ready for kids, so it's not like it's the ZOMG worst insult in the world. nbsp;I didn't say she should have a tubal ligation and never procreate. nbsp;It's no different than when a poster tells an OP they might want to hold off on getting married because of an obvious lack of maturity. nbsp;This thread just happens to be about kids instead of weddings which require way MORE maturity and responsibility by the by. nbsp; Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]

It seems more to me that everyone's judging her for this topic being her first post than for it being an immature one. Nothing SCREAMS of immaturity, unlike the 18 year olds that come here stomping their feet cause mom and dad won't pay for a wedding or something. People having kids is a touchy subject and definitely not one that should be judged based upon the correction of a post.. We see DDs all the time and I really think she was just trying to correct it to mean what she was really trying to say the first time. She could have just left a comma in the subject line and walked away... That would speak more about maturity IMO...
    158 Invited image | 68 will be there image |6 can't make it image | 84 still need to reply! image
    RSVP Deadline: 4/6/13
    4/26/13 March Siggy Challenge: Bridesmaid Dresses

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I was on depo for a year and stopped in December of 2011. I still haven't had a period. I'm thinking of getting nexplanon as soon as FI and I get married and I go on his insurance.
  • I've taken b-control pills for 16 years.  In December I decided I wanted to try an IUD for no other reason than I was sick of taking a pill every day and wanted to see how my body would react to being off of it.  I got the Paragaurd IUD and it was the worst pain I've ever experienced in my life.  I was so sick afterwards and had to stay at the doctor for an extra hour before they'd let me go home.  It took a couple days for me to be back to normal.  A week and a half later I had an ultra sound to make sure it was placed correctly (if it's not in there correctly you can get pregnant).  Of course it wasn't correct so my options were removal or replacement.  They must be high if they thought I was going to get it replaced.  So I had it removed and went back to my pill.  I am happy again.  So really, everyone is different.  Do some reasearch on the various types of birth control available.  You'll see many different reactions to each kind.  But, the more information you have before you speak with your doctor, the better.  
  • Lol. The boards are very honest when you don't think through what you say. : I don't like pills because you need to take them the same time every day and are not protective while on antibiotics. To complicated for my busy life. Nuva ring popped out during sex and I nearly lost one when I didn't notice...no thanks. Depo won't be prescribed for people with specific psych history do that was out. I picked IUD mirena with hormones. Love it. I stopped having periods! They last 5 years. I'm on my second one. Do your research. Think before you post. Good luck.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_birth-control-8?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:1150f974-3fc1-44f0-be86-40bf9abd6ff3Post:ab3823d2-8653-4a4a-acee-b808dc412bcc">Re: Birth Control</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Birth Control : This is my first time ever posting on one of these message boards, or any message board for that matter. I didn't realize that there were rules on how I'm supposed to post and edit.
    so many rude and mean people on here!!! I learned that after my first post too...what the heck, right?? 
    I responded before, but i'll do it again i hated yaz, it gave me panic attacks. Love loestrin24fe..i also take it everyday at the same time like my life depended on it haha..my friends forget to take theirs so they are on nuva ring now...they are both happy with that because they dont have to remember to take a pill everyday. That's a good thing to keep in mind, too. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards