Wedding Etiquette Forum

Please help - don't know how to word invitation

Sorry if this is redundant, but I'm pulling my hair out here... FH & I are paying for wedding but FMIL wants us to have traditional wording with her & her husband's & my parents names above ours. (Don't ask - you pick your battles, you know?) FH and I are 37 & 33 respectively and I SO do not want to use the term "children" (as in Mr. & Mrs. Smith & Mr. & Mrs. Jones request the honour of your presence at the marriage of their "children".) I absolutle can't find ANY examples of how to include the parents' names without using the term children. Help, please.

Re: Please help - don't know how to word invitation

• The marriage celebration ofJane DoeDaughter of Mark and Sally DoetoJohn JosephSon of Paul and Katrina Joseph
  • Mr. & Mrs. Smith & Mr. & Mrs. Jones request the honour of your presence at the marriage of Allea & FIJust leave out the "their children"
  • Son and Daughter?
    Photobucket
  • Why not use the traditional "daughter" and "son" wording -Bride's parents Request the honor of your presence at the wedding of their daughterBridetoGroomSon of Groom's Parents
  • Since they aren't technically hosting (or paying) and technically not requesting anyone's presence, could you get away withJudy Smithdaughter of Mr. and Mrs. John Jones and Alex Smithson of Mr. and Mrs. Steve Smithrequest the honor of your presence...
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • How about: "Together with their parents Mr. and Mrs. InnapropriateRequest & Mr. and Mrs. Allea'sParents, Allea and Allea's FI request the honour of your presence..."Wow, that is all kinds of wordy and hard to read. And also implies that they're co-hosting, so I dunno. I think your FI's parents are pretty bold to ask you to do this given the circumstances.

Taco cat: Always a palindrome. ALWAYS, okay J&K?

"cool......insult my size 2 body or my natural brown hair...or the fact that my parents own a country club, I have no budget for a wedding, and I have horses. I really dont care. Its better then having roots." ~ futurepivko
  • Sorry, mine wasn't very helpful. I think Kiki's example is the best because it's really the only way to put both their sets of names first (do they HAVE to be first or could you at least negotiate the name order with them?). But you still have the issue of them appearing as though they are hosting (and paying for) your wedding. If you and your FI are okay with that, then good for you. :)

Taco cat: Always a palindrome. ALWAYS, okay J&K?

"cool......insult my size 2 body or my natural brown hair...or the fact that my parents own a country club, I have no budget for a wedding, and I have horses. I really dont care. Its better then having roots." ~ futurepivko
  • This one is my favorite: Mr. and Mrs. James Anderson and Mr. and Mrs. Fredrick Jones invite you to witness the union of their families as Chelsea Anderson and Michael Jones ...
  • squirrlyand squirrly's FItogether with their parentsMr. and Mrs. Squirrly'sLastName &Mr. and Mrs. FI'sLastNameRequest the pleasure of your companyat their weddingThat's how ours reads.  We are paying.  I wanted to include our parents on the invite. 
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • FH & I are paying for wedding but FMIL wants us to have traditional wording with her & her husband's & my parents names above ours. actually, this isnt traditional at all.  traditionally, the grooms parents names NEVER went on an invitation becuase the grooms parents never paid for the wedding.
  • Are you asking them to host the wedding?  Because that's what listing their names above you implies  - that they're hosting the function.  Are you sure she wants her name above yours or is she OK with it on the invitation?
  • I would use squirley's wording (and I did, the first time I got married). It includes their names and gets around the "children" part.
  • Since you and FI are hosting, I suggest you do the whole invitation with YOUR names at the top, and then put this at the bottom: Tiffany S. Mills & Lafe R. Marble Will be married Sept 15, 2005 ------------------------------- -------------------------------------- The reception will be at blah blah blah address from 6-8 Parents of the bride Parents of the groom Mr. and Mrs. Wind Mills Mr. and Mrs. Round Marble
  • Thanks everybody!!! I love these suggestions...will let you know what I decide. Mwah!xoxo
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards