African American Weddings

Updates and checks

Ok, I haven't posted in a while and since I finally got somewhat of a break, I thought why not? Some of ya'll might remember that I previously posted questions/concerns about this stuff and some of you might not, just thought I'd share how it's going.

1. A few weeks ago, we finally switched cake vendors and we are SO happy. The last vendor was hard to contact, had to twist her arm just to get her to show her portfolio, changed locations randomly without notice, never gave a contract for us to sign, couldn't manage to give us a price, and quite frankly hasn't contacted me since our last meeting (I just disappeared on her, thinking she might call to check but she hasn't so I'm assuming getting paid wasn't important to her). New vendor supplied prices, a contract, money-saving alternatives, etc. in a heartbeat. We're happy but kind of upset that previous vendor led us on and made us waste so much time. Oan: We are now having a 3-tier cake with about 100 cupcakes on the side. Should I put them on a cupcake stand or a large serving tray? Finding pics that aren't cupcake cakes are kinda hard.

2. Finally managed to order ceremony programs. I have to print them on my computer, I wanted them pre-printed but I'm not going to complain too much about that. My ex-bridesmaid was supposed to do all my wedding programs for me---she offered since she's a graphic designer. After weeks upon weeks of false promises, I finally got fed up and ordered my own. I'm not too mad at her anymore but I just wish people would be honest and say that can't do something. I mean, what do they think, I'm gonna attack them just because I'm a bride? That's so not me.

3. Honeymoon hotel is finally booked. Again, we were led on by false promises. FI's stepfather had offered to pay for honeymoon and I thought that'd be so great since his side of the family has put in no money whatsoever. The weekend he was supposed to wire the money, phone off and no way of contacting him. I was pissed and after weeks of unreturned calls, we ultimately decided to do our own thing with what little we could squeeze out of the budget. So we're taking a staycation for our honeymoon by not going out of the state or country and we're actually excited bcuz we have a list of new places we want to explore right in our own backyard. By the way, stepdad just contacted us a few days ago and gave an excuse and promised to send money this weekend. We didn't tell him about our plans and hope to use the money if he actually comes through.

4. Rings are ordered and we're actually waiting for them to arrive. FI's mom purchased them. So I can't say nobody in his family has put in no money but that's about it. We're happy and grateful that she did offer to help though.

To wrap it up, cake, programs, honeymoon, and rings Check! *does ultimate check dance*

(Sorry it's SO long but I needed this typing therapy session lol)

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Updates and checks

• That's awesome! Congrats on all your checks.
    image180 Made the cut!
    image 129 Ready to drop it like its HOT!
    image 7 Found something else to do
    image 44 Are just plain RUDE!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

Follow Me on Pinterest November 2012 - October Siggy Challenge image
  • Congrats on the checks !
    imageimage May2013 October Siggy:Honeymoon:Putna Cana http://1badwedding.weebly.com/
  • Great checks! Your day is quickly approaching!
    145 Invited image
    65 Cannot wait to party! image
    1 Saving me money! image
    80 Looking for the mailbox image
  • rowenac82rowenac82 member
    Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited August 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_updates-and-checks?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:400Discussion:5bdd19ab-78fa-4da1-be0d-109031cdd08aPost:841b20e7-5d46-4d30-bafb-6cf38b73bb72">Updates and checks</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ok, I haven't posted in a while and since I finally got somewhat of a break, I thought why not? Some of ya'll might remember that I previously posted questions/concerns about this stuff and some of you might not, just thought I'd share how it's going. 1. A few weeks ago, we finally switched cake vendors and we are SO happy. The last vendor was hard to contact, had to twist her arm just to get her to show her portfolio, changed locations randomly without notice, never gave a contract for us to sign, couldn't manage to give us a price, and quite frankly hasn't contacted me since our last meeting (I just disappeared on her, thinking she might call to check but she hasn't so I'm assuming getting paid wasn't important to her). New vendor supplied prices, a contract, money-saving alternatives, etc. in a heartbeat. We're happy but kind of upset that previous vendor led us on and made us waste so much time. Oan: We are now having a 3-tier cake with about 100 cupcakes on the side. Should I put them on a cupcake stand or a large serving tray? Finding pics that aren't cupcake cakes are kinda hard. 2. Finally managed to order ceremony programs. I have to print them on my computer, I wanted them pre-printed but I'm not going to complain too much about that. My ex-bridesmaid was supposed to do all my wedding programs for me---she offered since she's a graphic designer. After weeks upon weeks of false promises, I finally got fed up and ordered my own. I'm not too mad at her anymore but I just wish people would be honest and say that can't do something. I mean, what do they think, I'm gonna attack them just because I'm a bride? That's so not me. <strong>3. Honeymoon hotel is finally booked. Again, we were led on by false promises. FI's stepfather had offered to pay for honeymoon and I thought that'd be so great since his side of the family has put in no money whatsoever. The weekend he was supposed to wire the money, phone off and no way of contacting him. I was pissed and after weeks of unreturned calls, we ultimately decided to do our own thing with what little we could squeeze out of the budget. So we're taking a staycation for our honeymoon by not going out of the state or country and we're actually excited bcuz we have a list of new places we want to explore right in our own backyard. By the way, stepdad just contacted us a few days ago and gave an excuse and promised to send money this weekend. We didn't tell him about our plans and hope to use the money if he actually comes through.</strong> 4. Rings are ordered and we're actually waiting for them to arrive. FI's mom purchased them. So I can't say nobody in his family has put in no money but that's about it. We're happy and grateful that she did offer to help though. To wrap it up, cake, programs, honeymoon, and rings Check! *does ultimate check dance* (Sorry it's SO long but I needed this typing therapy session lol)
    Posted by bsims726[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I am so going through this right now and I really need to take my selfish hat off and do something like you and FI are doing. I had my heart set on going somewhere. </div><div>
    </div><div>But congrats on your checks! You are almost there. 

</div>
    Anniversary
  • Thanks, ladies Smile
    rowenac82 Yeah, we had our hearts set on something with the whole bells & whistles---beach, resort, etc. but I guess God has other plans. After realizing we live in a whole state w/ cities we've never explored, we decided to choose a city, research the attractions/events they have around, and make the best of the situation.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards