Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul

Evening Dresses/MOB Dresses in the Cities...

Hi Ladies...My step mom is coming up next week to help do some wedding stuff and I thought it would be fun to look for dresses for her... does anyone have a good place to go and look for nice evening dresses/MOB dresses... she definitely wont want the typical MOB dress, so I was hoping for some nice ideas for evening gowns...TIA!
Trying to Conceive Ticker

Re: Evening Dresses/MOB Dresses in the Cities...

• edited December 2011
    My mom found hers at Macy's.  We looked at Bloomingdale's, too.  Neither had an amazing selection, but we found one she loved!
  • edited December 2011
    My step mom got her dress for my bro's wedding at Von Maur for $60 and it was really pretty. I think my FMIL got her dress for her daughter's wedding at Von Maur as well!
    Trying to Conceive Ticker "All that I'm after is a life full of laughter, As long as I'm laughing with you" Planning Bio image
  • Bimbi284Bimbi284 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Department stores are usually a good bet. I would try Macy's, Bloomies, Nordstrom, etc. Aside from that, there are some nice boutiques around where you could find some nice things. There's a few in the Galleria (Edina), and while you're there you can hop on over to Southdale and see if their Mestad's store has anything nice. Of course, all of this will depend on what she's willing to spend too.
  • MsCrispyMsCrispy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My mom and I went a few weeks ago and I have to say it's much harder to find a good MOB dress than I expected.  We didn't find the perfect dress, but got a good enough idea from these that we could find what we wanted online.  Good luck!Here's where we went, all at the MOA, except the last one is in the Eden Prairie Mall:Nordstrom's Rack - It's kind of hit or miss, but it's worth a shot.  My mom bought the dress she wore to my sister's wedding her, but we struck out.Nordstrom's - Decent selectionMacy's - I was disappointed with their selectionVon Maur - I had never heard of this place, but Louise suggested it and it did have the best selection of all the shops we went to, so I would recommend it.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers o
    edited December 2011
    I should mention that its not easy to find a good MOB dress for the nontraditional MOB. My mom and I have had this vision of her dress since we decided on our overall theme, and we had seen many things similar, but all out of our price range (go figure, we have good taste, lol). We finally settled on this one online at Neiman's:[img]http://tinyurl.com/yb26yxv[/img]
    edited December 2011
    Whoops! Sorry its so huge! :-/
  • threemarie24threemarie24 member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I will also say that Macy's, Nordstrom's and Von Mar will be good ones. A funny thing: My MIL and MOM actually ended up with THE SAME DRESS, different colors, but SAME! some girls might freak out about this, and I am trying to talk myself down from it, but it will all work out. I think I will dress my mom up a little more with a fancy broach. GL!
    imageimage

Congrats to my super sweet BFPB, veronicafvr, She's a SEP '11 momma

Married bio ? follow my boring blog Follow Me on Pinterest

• wittyschaffywittyschaffy member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My mom also had good luck at Nordstroms.  Macys (at the time) had really matronly looking formal dresses and that wasn't what my mom wanted at all. Not sure if they've changed it out or not but they could be a good option too.
  • rosebc118rosebc118 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    thanks ladies! We were at the wedding fair a couple of weeks ago and they had a display of some GORGEOUS dresses that were exactly what I was thinking... set up right by where the runway show was, in front of the piano player... Not sure if anyone else saw these but they were amazing! But... there was no display of where the dresses were from... one dress was a one shoulder rouched dress If anyone saw those and knows where they were from that would be awesome! Thanks again for all the advice!
    edited December 2011
    Not sure about those, as I wasn't at the show, but I did see some similar styles in the bridesmaid section at Mestad's in Rochester, so you may wanna take a look at their website. They have links to all of the designers they carry, so you can check out their styles and then decide if you wanna check it out. There's also a location in St. Cloud, so if you see something you like, you could call and see if they carry a sample of it for your mom to try (since it may be closer for you).I recommend looking for designers that do bridesmaid dresses as opposed to just mob dresses.For example:[img]http://s7d4.scene7.com/ir/render/AlfredAngeloRender/7068-600?wid=340&obj=main&sharpen=1[/img]or these by Jim Helm:[img]http://www.jlmcouture.com/assets/Occasions/bm/large/5964.jpg[/img][img]http://www.jlmcouture.com/assets/Occasions/bm/large/5981.jpg[/img][img]http://www.jlmcouture.com/assets/Occasions/bm/large/5917.jpg[/img]
  • rosebc118rosebc118 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    ahh those are great ideas! I have a feeling those dresses at the wedding fair were from mestads, just not positive. I feel like my "moms" are young and hip and dont have to wear grandmother dresses just because their daughter/son are getting married :) thanks for all the tips ladies!
  • edited December 2011
    I think my mom tried on every dress at MOA and Southdale.  She ended up finding hers at Stephanies in Edina (there is also one in Highland Park). It is just a little boutique, so there isn't a ton of selection.  They have some great stuff, though! 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards