Wedding Reception Forum

table settings-premium plastics okay?

So FI and I are on a budget, and we're having a fairly casual wedding at his brother's farm.  We were going to have a buffet reception, but we're thinking about heavy hors d'ouerves instead.  Would premium plastics be a good choice, or would plastic dishes at a wedding be tacky?

Follow Me on Pinterest Image and video hosting by TinyPic Photobucket Photobucket

Re: table settings-premium plastics okay?

• I think premium plastics would be a good idea. I always like a sturdy plate. FOr a casual wedding, there is no reason to have china. My caterer recommended www.smartyhadaparty.com for the premium plastics.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Catwoman708Catwoman708 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited June 2010
    They are fine for a casual outdoor wedding. 

If you were using plastic for a formal wedding in an upscale venue, then yes, it would be tacky.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_table-settings-premium-plastics-okay?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:70d6fa4e-075c-401d-87cd-6c606a5584ecPost:18e840a4-4e80-48e3-a87c-5c50cf173553">Re: table settings-premium plastics okay?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think premium plastics would be a good idea. I always like a sturdy plate. FOr a casual wedding, there is no reason to have china. My caterer recommended <a href="http://www.smartyhadaparty.com" rel="nofollow">www.smartyhadaparty.com</a> for the premium plastics.
    Posted by SarahPLiz[/QUOTE]

Smarty Had A Party is actually where I've been looking...lots of selection and the prices are awesome!

Thanks for your input ladies!
    Follow Me on Pinterest Image and video hosting by TinyPic Photobucket Photobucket
  • 2dBride2dBride member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited June 2010
    We used the premium plastic plates, but got them from The WEBstaurant Store, which was less expensive than Smarty Had a Party.

Another alternative would be these porcelain plates, which are $10 a dozen and could be resold afterward.

We used stainless steel forks instead of plastic, because we wanted to make sure they were sturdy enough.  We got teaspoons for $0.86 a dozen, knives for $2.59 a dozen, and forks for $1.33 a dozen.  Because we were able to resell them, the net cost was less than that of plastic.
  • We used clear plastic plates we bought at Sam's club with matching plastic ware wrapped in napkins with a ribbon tied around them.  It dressed it up pretty good and it was cheaper!

• I know you were asking specifically about the table settings but I thought I would suggest another way to help with the budget...my fiance and I are also planning on a farm wedding--rustic, casual--and will have a potluck/carry-in (depends on what you call it where you live...here in OH they call it carry-in but where I grew up in IL we called it potluck...). This way guests can have a full meal but you don't end up footing the whole bill. It's working out depends on how many guests will be local and therefore able to bring a dish to share...and if you think your guests would be willing to do so. To make it seem less like a picnic and a little "fancier", we will be going with the "real" table settings--buying and then reselling after the wedding-- and renting linens. This is also more "sustainable" and "green" to use a could catch words popular these days :-)
  • Where did you find the porcelain plates?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards