Wedding Etiquette Forum

Recycled E-ring?

A guy I know got an e-ring for his gf of 6 weeks. It didn't work out and they broke up before he proposed. This was about 8 months ago. He says he's going to keep it and get the stone put in a new setting and give that to "the one" when he finds her. Two of our mutual friends thought this was a good idea so he wouldn't waste any money because supposedly he tried to sell it and no one would give him more than $500 (which I think he's making up). Am I crazy in thinking that I'd be friggin p-o'd if I got an ex girlfriend's diamond in my ring?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Recycled E-ring?

• I would HATE that.  I couldn't knowingly wear it.
  • He's probably not lying about not getting money for the diamond. They are hard to resell unless it's a realllllly nice diamond. Most stores, however, will give you store credit for your purchase.Anyway, there's a girl out there in ND walking around with my old ring on her finger. I wouldnt want it, but it was a good deal for the guy. And I'm sure she'd never know.If no one ever WORE it, I think I'd be more open to that idea than if it was a ring or diamond that my fiance's ex WORE as an engagement ring....maybe.
    Vacation with Alix, Andy, Mandy, and FLORENCE. AND HER MACHINE.

The Margarita Evolution
  • Nope. I would definitely not be happy about that.
  • yea, i wouldn't like that. i wouldn't mind wearing a strangers old diamond, but not my husband's ex.
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Only an idiot would return an diamond ring.  Smart women save them and have a good piece of jewelry made later in life
  • I think the problem lies in buying a ring six weeks into a relationship.
    Whatever you hatters be hattin. -Tay Prince
  • I didn't want anything to do with that diamond, OOT.

The Margarita Evolution
  • I would HATE that.  There was an episode of Yes, Dear about this (Kim's ring was a reused one).  But, yea, I think that's a horrible idea.
  • fish, if you collect enough of them, you can have matching studs and a necklace made up:P
  • The fact that she never received the ring, means it has never been anyones ring technically. Thats my opinion atleast.
  • She never wore it but he had it custom designed for her. Yeahhh everyone told him he was moving too fast and he shouldn't pop the question. I pointed out that I'd be pissed if my stones came from DH's ex and then was told I was "attacking him". ::eyeroll::
  • BUT, to be devil's advocate, it was never HER diamond. If she never wore it and he never gave it to her, it's always been HIS diamond, technically. The problem would be if she preferred a different cut or something other than the one he had. I would really assume if he got it anywhere, they would give him store credit for his purchase. He should look into that.

The Margarita Evolution
  • I have no idea where the diamond in my ring came from.  Someone owed my granddad some money in the sixties and whoever this person was didn't have the cash, so he gave my granddad a loose stone.  Which he had set and gave to my grandmother.  It wasn't her engagement ring, they'd been married at least ten years.
    Whatever you hatters be hattin. -Tay Prince
  • And identify custom designed. A lot of times I think people THINK they have a custom designed ring, but it's really not.And OOT, I didn't give the rock back to the fuucker, that's for sure, but I did sell it, got some money for it, and took a nice trip with my mom with it. ;)

The Margarita Evolution
  • I agree with LaurenClaire...therein lies the real problem. Since he never actually proposed to the girl, though, it would be slightly less awkward than if she she had worn the ring. The other issue, though, is if he is going to do it, why is he blabbing about it?? His future fiance would NEVER know it came from another girl's ring if he didn't tell people that it did! Since he never asked the ex to marry him, I'm sure no one saw the ring. If for some reason they did, then if the setting is different it would look like a totally new ring. No one inspects individual gems that closely unless they are the jeweler. He should have kept his mouth shut. Ignorance is bliss in this situation.
  • I wouldn't have a problem with a diamond being pre-owned.  My problem would be that he bought it intending to give it to another woman.  Personally, I'd rather have no e-ring than one originally meant for an ex.
  • No idea, I was just told he had it designed for her, I'm not sure what the details were. I asked what he'd do if she wanted a princess cut or something and his super mature response was "the girl I marry won't have that kind of style".
  • Because he picks his girlfriends by the kind of diamond cut they like? Holy smokers. He sounds...fun. ;)

The Margarita Evolution
  • Apparently I'm a slow poster. I meant to reply to the earlier post of "he should not have bought a ring after 6 weeks." THAT is the real problem.
  • Sorry tink, there are at least 10 people that know he was going to propose that saw the ring before they broke up and all those people now know he's planning to recycle it. His defense was "well she won't know unless one of you guys tells her" ummmm if it's so not a big deal in his opinion, why cover it up!
  • I wouldn't want it.  I'd rather have no ring than somebody else's ring.  (Exception - family jewelry.  Maybe.  But probably not as an e-ring, actually.)I think he'd be better off resetting it as a pendant and using it as a really awesome Christmas gift.
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • I don't think I'd mind as much since it never belonged to the ex.  But yeah him buying the diamond 6 weeks into the relationship is definitely more of a problem than the ring belonging to someone else.  Also, he could take the center stone and put it in a new setting or new piece of jewelry for the next "one".  If this happened, then its just like a new ring pretty much.
  • Fische, I don't particularly like this guy, so you won't hurt my feelings. Actually if I had to describe him in a word it would be douche!!!!
  • Eh it was never given to someone else so it's just a diamond in my mind.  I don't think he should definitely use it but wait until he does meet someone and see what kind of ring she would like and decide then.
    TTC since 07/11 Me: 32 AO PCOS/DH: 32 Lowish count/motility IUI#1-3 = BFN (Clomid, Clomid-->Femara, Injects) IVF#1 ER on 9/24 19 ER/19 M/9 F w/ICSI Transferred a 5AA and a 5BB on 9/29 Beta 10/9 = 139 Beta 10/11 = 287
    imageimageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

My Blog

• This would bother me.  BUT - if it was made into something different and NOT an e-ring, I don't think it would be that big a deal.  There's something... different about an engagement ring and the diamond in it.My mom saved the diamond from her e-ring when she and my dad got divorced.  She got it re-set into a pendant and gave it to me for my HS graduation.  I love it and plan to wear it on my wedding day.  So something like that would be better than in a new e-ring, IMO.
  • FI was in a terrible relationship right before me and was engaged for all of about a month or 2. He took back the ring and got store credit. I knew about all of this and it didn't bother me in the slightest. Even more interesting, he wanted to know what style I wanted and when I described it, he said it was the exact style that his ex had. That bothered me a little more, but not enough to make me not want the ring I really loved. Some think it's a little creepy, but it doesn't bother me at all. Plus, it's twice the size of hers, so that makes it much, much better ;)
    "In the old days my ass would be in your back yard picking cotton, so excuse me if I don't put much stock in how f*cking awesome the old days were." -Nuggs
  • I know a guy who used the same diamond to propose to three different girls....Personally, I'm not sure I would care. But I would have punched FI in the face if he had given me a diamond ring of any sort. We got that straight pretty early on in our relationship, pretty much as soon as we started talking future plans, and he had absolutely no problem going with what I wanted instead. :)Given that I already kind of think they're a waste, it seems like a lot more waste to sell a diamond that one already has for less than it is worth, in order to buy a different diamond and lose a lot of money on the deal.
    imageimage
    Our Story MAJORLY UPDATED 8/6/09
    Wouldn't it be nice to live together in the kind of world where we belong?
  • I agree! I think pre-owned or family jewelry or antique e-ring is completely different from "ring you bought for your ex".
  • The fact that FI saved up and shopped around to find the ring that he thought I'd like best, is special to me. To think that he just had the ring available because of a past relationship, would take that specialness away, IMO.
  • Ohh, then future gf/fiancee will certainly know that it is a recycled ring. I would hate that if it were me! He should totally just make it into a necklace or find a matching one to turn into awesome stud earrings.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards