Wedding Etiquette Forum

Crazy 2012 to the extreme

Today Nat. Geographic posted an article on why the world isn't going to end in 2012 and poking holes in the current "theories". Apparently NASA was getting too many comments of people seriously considering killing themselves and/or their children so that they won't be here for the end of the world.Wow...just...wow....

Re: Crazy 2012 to the extreme

• Everyone knows you arent supposed to kill yourself until shiit actually hits the fan and you have no possible way to survive. These people dont know anything about disaster survival. So does that mean the article is just fluff to shut these people up?
  • I remember reading something about in the middle ages there was a date people in Europe thought was going to be the end of the world. They gathered in churches to wait for the appointed time and when it came a whole bunch of them died of fright/heart attacks.
  • I saw an article on cracked.com a couple months ago that explained how all of the theories are just that-theories, and that the world will most likely NOT end in 2012.  And in true cracked fashion, it was hilarious.
  • Why would you need to kill youself if the world was going to end anyway?  Wouldn't you most likely die anyway?  I hope no one actually goes through with this.  We don't need a crapload of Heaven's Gates instances.  This is sad and weird.
  • Wow is right.  I might take that day off from work and eat all the junk food I want in anticipation of no calorie consequences but... nothing as extreme as offing myself :)
  • The article was actually really good. It explained how the Mayan calendar began around the year 3000 so it's not like it started when the world started and that it's ending means the world will end. How the "scientific" theories of things like Pole Shift and a rogue planet crashing are statistically near impossible.Basically sure, this stuff could happen one day, but there's no reason to think we'll be alive to see it so stop freaking out.The world was supposed to end in 1666 (year of the devil). It didn't help that the plague/London fires occurred in 1665. Also the world was most recently supposed to end in 1996, 2000, 2003, and 2006
  • I will admit that with all of the crazy theories out there, it can be scary, but I ultimately don't believe that the world is going to just end in 2012.  If it does, then I was wrong.  I'll be dead, and that's that.
  • I read an article on MSN (I think) a few weeks ago that even the Mayans are sick of hearing about 2012 and that the majority thinks it's BS and they have more important problems to worry about.
  • There's nothing we can do about it anyways except get drunk and have a party.
  • I admit I get freaked out a the prospect of 2012.  One day was I was thinking, oh shiit, I live on an island, if the poles switch I'm screwed.  Maybe the mountain would be a better place? (drowning is my biggest death fear) All that said, I would never kill myself, I would just let nature do it's thing.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I think some of the theories are plausible. I think the increase of earthquakes that have been happening are an indication of something going on beneath the surface of the earth that could happen soon. I also have read a fair bit about the current solar minimum being extremely intense leading scientists to believe the upcoming solar maximum will be incredibly intense. I dont have the article that quoted a situation in the 1800s where solar flares wiped out the entire morse code network. Its speculated if that happened now, electricity would be wiped out for up to 4 years. Not the end of the world but it would be chaos for a long time.
  • lynda thats kind of funny,becuase while I don't really beleive the 2012 hype, a small part of me thinks DH wanting to buy a sailboat may not be such a silly idea (I've never really wanted to own my own hole in the water, thats what rich owners are for)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • And now I'll probably have one of my crazy WWIII/apocolypse nightmares again tonight.  Yay.
  • Nebb, that's kind of what they were hinting at. Sure the earth is due for some changes, some larger, some smaller, but nothing like crazy earthquakes + tsunamis + volcanoes+rogue planet + .....Maybe we'll just have worse earthquakes for the next 500 years?
  • I'm reading the article right now.  It's quite interesting.
    kd.joseph's wish is my command
    Just call me "Brothel"
    And betrothed, I'm disgusted with most of the comments that you have posted. I don't think I've ever read such judgmental comments in my life. I'm so lucky that the girls I speak to on theknot are nothing like you...I would've never come on here for ADVICE if I would've encountered a big a bitch as you. I genuinely feel awful for your children or your future children, and I think it would be irresponsible of YOU not to invest in their future therapy sessions starting now. Because trust me when I tell you honey, they're gonna need it. ~jcaruncho2010
    my read shelf:
    Betrothed 123's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Anything is possible. It surely wont be anything like what it shows in the movie though, thats just silly. Even if say the caldera at yellowstone was to blow, it isnt going to decimate the entire planet, it will be a slow progression that will effect us over time. 130049 disasters at once makes for better movies though.
  • They used to have a show (I think on Discovery?) about super natural disasters. They did have some scary shiit on there. Like a super tornado sweeping through Dallas or a super hurricane obliterating Florida.Then at the end they were like "the chances of this happening are about equal to the chance of someone winning the mega-lottery 10 times in a row....but it could happen!"
  • aMrsin09 - you could be your own noah's ark...

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I read a funny cartoon recently that showed a couple Mayans sitting on top of their Mayan temple scratching out a calendar, before one complained about how his arm was killing him.The other said, let's just end it as of December 12, 2012, call it a day and go for a beer.The world has supposed to end many times and has not. One day, I am sure somehow it will. I don't think it will be 2012 (though, I definitely would not be surprised if there is another World War declared by then).
  • Is this NG article online?
  • what makes is scary is not the Mayans.  It's the Mayans,  Chinesse, and other prophets, etc.  All saying the same thing years before they knew each other exists.I also heard there is some alignment in the universal that will happen for the first time in 25, 000 years on the winter solsticec.  One therory is the poles are going to switch. Oh well, just like I'm afraid of heights did not stop me from sky diving, this is not going to stop me from living.

• The article:[url]http://tinyurl.com/yhx9nw2[/url]
    kd.joseph's wish is my command
    Just call me "Brothel"
    And betrothed, I'm disgusted with most of the comments that you have posted. I don't think I've ever read such judgmental comments in my life. I'm so lucky that the girls I speak to on theknot are nothing like you...I would've never come on here for ADVICE if I would've encountered a big a bitch as you. I genuinely feel awful for your children or your future children, and I think it would be irresponsible of YOU not to invest in their future therapy sessions starting now. Because trust me when I tell you honey, they're gonna need it. ~jcaruncho2010
    my read shelf:
    Betrothed 123's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • The thought of 2012 freaks me out, but I'm not going to do anything extreme like kill myself over it.  If the world ends, that's what God wanted and I'll die with the ones I love.  I will not be seeing the movie though.And I remember Y2K and how freaked out everyone was about that. 
  • Also read the article on previous "end of the world" dates and failed prophecies.
  • I was ten when the whole Y2K thing was going on.  I didn't know NOT to believe, so I cried buckets when my mom sent me to spend the night with my grandma on New year's Eve.  I did not want to die with that mean old lady.
  • Stupid NG needs to stop thwarting natural selection.
  • I wish we knew for sure because then I would travel, rack up debt and live as freely as I wanted.

"It's shart week." -georgiabride
    "This post is seriously retarded." -Stackeye210
    Miss
    Mrs & ZOMG we built a howse!
    being healthy. blog.
  • I never thought the world would end with Y2k.  I work as a computer programmer and knew it might cause an inconvenience if companies did not fix their programs, but not cause the end of the world.

• It was disaster movie Sunday on the "SyFy" (grrrr) channel. The best one was an over-botoxed or something Kim Delaney in 10.5 Apocalypse, about a rift in the midwest and an overland sea that used to divide the North American continent potentially reforming (there was a giant sinkhole that swallowed the Las Vegas Strip).  Speaking of Heaven's Gate, they also did a special on cults, and they were one of the ones they covered.  Interesting.
    Do not mess in the affairs of dinosaurs because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
    I love you Missy. Even though you are not smart enough to take online quizzes to find out really important information. ~cew
  • There are way too many people out there willing to believe anything that people tell them without doing research, without questioning, and without thinking.The idea that a reversal in the Earth's magnetic field would cause a cataclysmic crustal inversion is the ill fruit of a warped mind and totally untrue.  Anyone who has taken at a least a 6th grade level science course knows that the earths magnetic field constantly shifts over time.  This is produced by the movement of the liquid core.  Changes in the magnetic pole direction are used to monitor the spreading of the ocean floor and to establish a timeline for the continental drift, which happens slowly over time. I think the main reason why we get these kind of crazy stories is that they are manufactured by the media to produce general fear.  People are more predictable and easy to manipulate when they are in a state of fear, and they are less likely to call into question the conduct of those that rule over them.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards