Wedding Reception Forum

Cake & Punch Reception

Has anyone been to or had or is planning to have a cake & punch reception? What is the timeline for this type of event?Thank you

Re: Cake & Punch Reception

• I'm considering having mine this way. Though there will be light apps/some dancing (ipod dj) as well. 1:00 - 1:45pm ceremony2:30pm Announced at Reception (20min drive between venues)2:30-2:45pm (first dance/fd dance)3:00 - 4:00pm Eat and mingle4:00 - 4:30 Cut the cake/toasts4:30 - 5:00 Mingle5:00pm Send off
  • We went to a cake and punch wedding last spring.  It was 2-2:30 ceremony2:30-3:00 mingling, served tea and lemonaid3:00-3:30 WP introduced, B&G did table visits3:30-4:00 toasts, cake cutting4:00-5:00 cake served, more mingling, guests left
  • Cake and punch receptions last 2-3 hrs at max. No other food is served beyond cake. No alcohol is served either. The cake is cut and served as soon as the couple arrives. Guests mingle and then head out. Usually they skip the tosses. Toasts are not typically done. Dancing is usually not done and there isn't typically any background music. However, if there is dancing, it often takes place at a different venue where alcohol and substantial food (most often is sandwiches from a local deli) may or may not be served, depending on the couple's wishes and budget. Also, when the cake is cut, it is not taken anywhere to be cut. It is cut and served at the cake table itself.
  • I've been to several.  They are typically immediately following a 1pm or 2pm ceremony and last about 2 to 2.5 hours.  The ones I've been to didn't have a DJ or anything, just some background music.  No dancing and no alcohol. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Typically cake and coffee receptions as they are called in my circle are at 1:30 in the afternoon and reception follows immediatly in a adjoinig or very nearby venue. Food and drink ranges Minimum Cake , bowls of nuts, coffee, punch, icewater Typical of the type in my circle Cake , veggie platter with dip, fruit platter with dip , bowls of nuts , bowls of m&ms coffee , tea, soda, lemonaid, ice water Bordering on too extravagent to be called a cake and coffee Cake ,+ all out fancy appetizers thigs liek crab cakes ect wine beer coffee tea, lemonaid , soda champange
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards