Gay Weddings

Write you own vows

Has anyone wrote their own vows and what do you think about writing your own vows.

Re: Write you own vows

• mattmikemattmike member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My partner is very hesitant about writing our own vows... I think it is because he is terrified of public speaking. Our officiant said it is usually half and half of people who choose their write their own vows. As long as you both are comfortable with the idea, I would personally go with writing your own vows. I think wedding guests always enjoy hearing what people write.
  • edited December 2011
    We're probably going to write our own. We think that is the best choice for us because it allows us to be more personal and express exactly what we want.
  • 2dBride2dBride member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We sort of did.  We combined the Hebrew from the Jewish service and the declarations and vows from the Church of England service.  However, both of us wanted traditional language, even if it was a mixture of two different traditions.  It's really easy for vows written by the couple to get pretty boring for anyone other than the couple, if you are not careful.
  • mattmikemattmike member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    2dBride -- So true! I have heard of personal vows where they include inside jokes or talk way too long... those kind of vows just bore the family and friends. But if they are done well and are length appropriate, I think they are wonderful.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards