Snarky Brides

Live lighter

The news here just aired this commercial that is airing in Australia, its pretty graphic (so youve been warned)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fx8Nvmgxu68

Do you think this would work here? I somehow cant imagine ever seeing that on tv, but I do think its incredibly interesting actually SEEING it.

Re: Live lighter

• Even if they would air something like this in the US, I don't think it would necessarily make a real difference with the obesity epidemic.
  • edited June 2012
    I liked that ad.  I think it was interesting.

ETA - but no I am not sure if it would air here.  A lot of stuff that is rolled out to combat obesity is met with resistance and I don't get it.  I mean, yeah, you can eat what you want.  But look around.  30 percent of the population is fucking obese - not just overweight, OBESE.  I see nothing wrong with policies or ads or initiatives or whatever that at least get people thinking differently about what they eat.  I honestly don't think a lot of people care here, and that's just... sad to me.
    panther
  • NebbNebb member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    I guess they would in Canada... I just remembered this HORRIBLE work place safety commercial that used to air here. Seriously, it was so bad that I would change the channel if it came on cause its that bad. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tN2gpRcFKAQ if you want to watch it. Im telling you its bad.
  • FUCKING SHITE, NEBB.  HOLY MOTHER OF FUCKING SHITE.

panther
  • NebbNebb member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    Right? it was the worst of a whole series of really graphic work place safety commercials. That said, I feel like people are super SUPER sensitive about fat/size and would probably freak out negatively if a commercial like the fat one aired here. As in, sue the tv or something silly lol
  • I also found the first video to be interesting.  For some reason many Americans like to just pretend they aren't doing their bodies harm by eating poorly.  I don't think it would change anything if it aired over here.

The second video makes me want to rip my eyes out.  I can't believe that used to air on TV!  How horrible!
  • I recognize that actress.  Pretty sure I saw her in a Lifetime movie, lol.
    panther
  • edited June 2012
    FUUUUUCK, Nebb. I shut my eyes as soon as she picked up the stock pot. 

ETA: Argh, seriously, my heart is pounding. NO NO NO.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_live-lighter?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:ee286a84-5625-45f1-9f78-620fb5bca2bbPost:0eca3576-9ea7-4d56-aa4c-390fad587b79">Re: Live lighter</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>I guess they would in Canada..</strong>. I just remembered this HORRIBLE work place safety commercial that used to air here. Seriously, it was so bad that I would change the channel if it came on cause its that bad. <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tN2gpRcFKAQ" rel="nofollow">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tN2gpRcFKAQ</a> if you want to watch it. Im telling you its bad.
    Posted by Nebb[/QUOTE]

<div>I think they would there too. That wasn't much worse than the pictures they have on cigarette boxes of cancer-ridden lungs.</div>
  • Also, I think I must be extremely desensitised to stuff, but neither of those videos seemed all that bad to me. You see it for like, 3 seconds.
  • edited June 2012
    If they're gonna show black lungs and people with stomas and shiiiit I don't know why they'd hesitate about this commercial. Health related commercials that show horrific stuff is ineffective and only serves to gross people out. I doubt it's gonna make anyone not smoke the cigarette or walk away from the cheeseburger. To be fair though, I minded that commercial much less than the horror story anti smoking commercials. 
    Whatever you hatters be hattin. -Tay Prince
  • I honestly don't know what would work, tbh.  I know that Taco Bell is bad for me but dammit if I don't enjoy one of their quesadillas once in a while, kwim?  And people who eat bad food habitually, meal after meal, usually know it's not the best choice.  But they don't care.  Despite anything they may have learned about what's really in their food or any better choice they could make.  You can give them all the information, but you can't seem to make them care.
    panther
  • I see this a lot in my classes but no, I don't think a 16 second commercial would work in the USA.
  • Okay, I'm terrible, but I laughed at the safety one ONLY because the girl was so smug when she air quoted "accident." The burned face was horrific, though.
  • edited June 2012
    I doubt the "live lighter" commercial would be effective. I think about how much I laughed at DARE commercials, even as a kid. And bodies don't gross me out. But seriously, body-innards that are clean and fatless aren't particularly more attractive than the fatty ones, I think, so this loses some of the gross-out factor for me. I can't see being all proud that my intestines are sexier than someone else's.

Well, I guess there are some things about bodies that do gross me out, which is exactly why I was such a pvssy about the workplace safety video. Injuries and gore and people in pain? Oh my goodness, I can't deal. 
  • Holy shhhiit the chef commercial is AWFUL. I wish I could unwatch that. 
    imageVacation
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards