Gay Weddings
Options

What type of events for a gay reception?

I've done a few google searches but I am not coming up with much... What type of unique "events" can be done at a gay wedding? We obviously will not have boquets or garters to throw... we don't really want to do a money dance. What other things can we do?

Re: What type of events for a gay reception?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Who says you can't have a garter toss. I am planning on having one. My and my boyfriend wedding is going to be trandtional. We are having bridesmaids and groomsmen. But I think any types of events that you like you can do. It is your wedding have fun with it. It only happens once.
  • Options
    alisonzalisonz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it would be kind of genius if you did a garter or bouquet throw :)

alison + irene | 10-10-10 | Studio 450

My Big Fat Gay Wedding

Pro Photos
  • Options
    mattmikemattmike member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Haha.. maybe we should! I wonder how we could put a twist on the tradition and make it "unique" to our wedding. Something we will have to think about.
  • Options
    2dBride2dBride member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We did a first dance, and toasts.  But other than that, there were no specific "events."  We had food, a DIY "photobooth,"  and music and dancing all night.
  • Options
    Simply FatedSimply Fated member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    A lot of straight receptions (is that the right term to use?) don't have garter tosses, bouquet tosses and money dances either, so I wouldnt' worry about it. All you really need is good food, good music and good people for a good time.None of those things really take a long time anyway. You can fill those minutes in with extra dancing... people might not even notice.And, yeah, if you want a bouquet toss and/or garter toss... go for it!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We actually had a lot of fun with our bouquet tosses... maybe you could do a mock bouquet toss.  We had two bouquets, so we did one toss for the single ladies and one toss for the single men... no garter toss.  It was a lot of fun doing tossing the bouquet to the single men!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I did the boquet toss and all the singles got up there and we both did the garters and again all the singles were up there. Everyone had a blast! It was so funny b/c my friend Todd cought one of the garters and another friend Danielle cought the boquet and we made Danielle put the garter on Todd.... It was just more appropriate. You can see pics of the whole thing thru my blog link to snap fish.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers My bio Last Updated: 12/1/09 http://tinyurl.com/7zz6z7u
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My fiance and I have been DJ'ing weddings --both gay and straight --for several years now. Most couples are moving away from incorporating any of these stereotypical wedding day things. Really, though, it is totally up to you! One couple recently decided to surprise their guests with a drag queen performance (to 'We Are Family'), to get the dance party started. It was fantastic!!
  • Options
    mattmikemattmike member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    TravelingFin: What a great idea! Haha.. I love the idea of an opening drag show!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The traditional toasts, first dance, dad/mom dance is always a great way to start. My husband and I made our unique event by announcing we got married in CT legally during the reception. The location we had the wedding isn't a state where it is legal. This kicked off the cake eating and dancing after a yummy meal. This is not the eloping no-no that it is for straight people where the guests might feel jipped. trust me, it pumped up the adrenaline for all the guests and the party was even more exciting!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards