Wedding Etiquette Forum

Knot: Does this annoy anyone else?

Am I the only one that thinks its ridiculous and petty to freak out over someone misspelling a word or two?***

Sometimes I hit send without using the spell checker.  I bet I'm not the only one.  No one's ever called me out on it.  But I see other people getting reamed for this stuff all the time.  Yes, proper spelling is always nice.  But if someone is getting on your nerves and all you have on them is that they misspelled a word... reallyYou're going to make an issue out of that?   Just save your energy.  You look far worse making an issue about it then they ever could making the mistake. 

Is it just me?   It might be just me. 

***This is not to say that a total raping of the English language is ok or should be free from mocking. (Ackrite, anyone?)  But there is a difference between the two and we're all smart  enough to recognize the difference.

I'll add a clicky poll, just because clicky polls are fun. 

edit:  I misspelled "misspelled".  Thats kind of funny. 

"Whatever East. You're just mad I RSVP'd "lame" to your pre-wedding sleepover."

Re: Knot: Does this annoy anyone else?

• It's not just you East.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I agree.  One or two things misspelled doesn't bother me.  It's just when every other word is misspelled and I have a hard time reading it that it actually bothers me.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Anniversary

• tlv204tlv204 member
    First Comment
    It really really bothers me when people make mistakes that aren't just typos (we all make typos, clearly), but the only one I usually say anything about is etiquette. Yeah it's petty but I can't help myself. It's RIGHT THERE.
    Leo says hi. He's...special.
    Married
    Planning
  • I think a type-o here and there is okay.  However, sometimes it gets out of hand.  Case in point:  That girl in the FFF is a barking idiot.
    Photobucket
  • "To err is human, to forgive divine."

We all make mistakes, I think people who point out honest typos have too much time on their hands or are just trying to stir the pot. Or both.
  • It's not exactly good etiquette either. Ha ha ha. It does seem petty and weakens the original disagreement.

Except when the word in question is aisle/isle. Because that mistake makes me crazy. I just picture a bride and groom walking in scuba flippers down a beach to keep myself in good humor.
  • I generally agree East, and usually think it's petty. But if you're referring to Mewebster in FFF, it is my opinion that she falls on the other side of "misspelling a word or two." Also when someone goes out of their way to "educate" people in language, it makes them more likely to be scrutinized for things like this.

This sounds super-defensive, but I don't mean for it to be.

Taco cat: Always a palindrome. ALWAYS, okay J&K?

"cool......insult my size 2 body or my natural brown hair...or the fact that my parents own a country club, I have no budget for a wedding, and I have horses. I really dont care. Its better then having roots." ~ futurepivko
  • depends. Misspelling "etiquette" multiple times when it's the name of the word? That's ridiculous.
    Misspelling "grammar"? I don't care.

• I like this thread, as well as the results of the poll. 
  • How does ediquette not just KILL you?
    I guess that is just me.
    The too/to thing doesn't get me riled though.
  • If I'm being frank, I'm rather guilty here.  If someone is being a total douche, I sort of just open up with whatever is available to me at the time.   If someone has made a rational post requiring real guidance or they are soliciting a genuine response, regardless of if it agrees with their own pov, and there happen to be a spelling error or two, I would never pounce on that.  But when someone is getting into the "Fuuck you AND your ediquete!" arena...yea, I'm in there with a red pen. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_knot-this-annoy-anyone-else?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:dcbaec96-7023-477c-ba55-f86f685eacfaPost:74764920-4e42-4f7d-bafd-f443592e36f4">Re: Knot: Does this annoy anyone else?</a>:
    [QUOTE]depends. Misspelling "etiquette" multiple times when it's the name of the word? That's ridiculous. Misspelling "grammar"? I don't care.
    Posted by nda_roxybabe[/QUOTE]

I agree with this girl.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Well crap. The clicky poll will not come up for me.

"cool......insult my size 2 body or my natural brown hair...or the fact that my parents own a country club, I have no budget for a wedding, and I have horses. I really dont care. Its better then having roots." ~ futurepivko
  • As someone who does not have the greatest spelling/grammar skills, it kind of sucks to get called out on it. I agree that if you're totally butchering a word, it would be nice to be corrected, but it's also really embarrassing. This is why I'm marrying a writer. He'll teach the kids English/history and I'll teach them math/science.
    August 2011: E-Pic! Photobucket
    229 image Invited to celebrate!
    191 image Remembered to RSVP!
    26 image Can't make it
    7 image Got lost on the way to the mailbox

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited May 2010
    I liken calling someone out on their spelling errors in an argument to calling someone derogatory names during an argument.  If that's all you've got in your arsenal to use, you've lost.   Just because you went to that ridiculous of a level instead of sticking to the points of the issue.

edit:  I also agree that if its every. other. word a person is messing up or theyre unapologetic about communicating on a second grade level, thats one thing.  Its when people are sitting there going "I have nothing....I have nothing... OH, SHE JUST MISSPELLED TWO WORDS, HERE I COME!"  that I have to eye roll. 

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_knot-this-annoy-anyone-else?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:dcbaec96-7023-477c-ba55-f86f685eacfaPost:8a8ec14a-b680-4394-bdab-17a7bd651e1f">Re: Knot: Does this annoy anyone else?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I liken calling someone out on their spelling errors in an argument to calling someone derogatory names during an argument.  If that's all you've got in your arsenal to use, you've lost.   Just because you went to that ridiculous of a level instead of sticking to the points of the issue. 
    Posted by eastunder1[/QUOTE]

Good point. And what if language <em>was</em> the original issue?

• See East, I think that sometimes the spelling and grammar habits go hand in hand with the issues at stake. Pointing out a spelling mistake (that is atrocious and consistent) often lends itself to bolstering a argument that the poster is flying by the seat of their pants with no comprehension of what they are doing and no accountability for the words they are typing. Sometimes it is a way to slow down the shiitstorm.
  • I think sometimes people just call others out for their GSP mistakes because they're in the middle of an argument and don't have anything constructive left to say.

BUT.... I HATE when people don't use paragraphs. I can't stand posts that are one giant paragraph!!!! Hit the ENTER button please!!

• I say it's a case-by-case thing.

Mewebster was getting really annoying.

There have been times, I will admit, when I have said something. But I don't do it much anymore. I usually just ignore it.
  • They are like huge neon lights flashing to me. The spelling I saw when I taught 5th grade was beyond ridiculous, and it concerns me that for some, it continues into adulthood.
    I'm not talkng about those with genuine issues, but text speak and laziness.

FFS, I had a student write about Louisiana and Hurricane Katrina from an article in the newspaper - the word Louisiana was right in front of her, and she still spelled it Looweezyanna.  Seriously.
    Do not mess in the affairs of dinosaurs because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
    I love you Missy. Even though you are not smart enough to take online quizzes to find out really important information. ~cew
  • Also - on the subject of annoying things, I can't stand when you post something to a person on their wall on FB and a third person comes in and "likes" it or adds something to it.  I WASN'T TALKING TO YOU.   GAH. 

(This is completely off the subject but it literally JUST infuriated me so I thought I'd complain.)

• tlv204tlv204 member
    First Comment
    Ok, but ediquette? I don't think I've made a habit of picking on people for stuff like this, and again I certainly make typos too, and 99% of the time I could not care less, but ediquette? I can't help it.
    Leo says hi. He's...special.
    Married
    Planning
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_knot-this-annoy-anyone-else?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:dcbaec96-7023-477c-ba55-f86f685eacfaPost:cfac84db-6a98-4352-8569-3f484f5cc0bd">Re: Knot: Does this annoy anyone else?</a>:
    [QUOTE] The too/to thing doesn't get me riled though.
    Posted by MeaghanandMichael[/QUOTE]

Oh man that does get me riled! Same with your/you're, there/their/they're... sometimes if I'm typing quickly I'll make a mistake but generally it bothers me when people don't know which one to use.

And it bothers me that a lot of people don't know how to spell <em>definitely </em>and <em>tomorrow. </em>
  • East, yes.  Unless I know both people. If you both know me, then you can "like" my convo. Otherwise, nope.

In fact, I blocked someone from high school from being able to make comments on my statuses, because he was "liking" inappropriate things.
    Do not mess in the affairs of dinosaurs because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
    I love you Missy. Even though you are not smart enough to take online quizzes to find out really important information. ~cew
  • case by case, but I agree if someone is totally butchering things--if you know you have spelling issues, use spell check.

Aisle & Isle rile me up as does imput.  It's INPUT. "I'm looking for INPUT as to which veil looks best on me."  Drives me bonkers.
    Crosswalk
  • East, you still didn't answer my question. ;)

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_knot-this-annoy-anyone-else?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:dcbaec96-7023-477c-ba55-f86f685eacfaPost:053fdaa5-4036-4be9-a7a9-c051c0521b81">Re: Knot: Does this annoy anyone else?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Knot: Does this annoy anyone else? : Oh man that does get me riled! Same with your/you're, there/their/they're... sometimes if I'm typing quickly I'll make a mistake but generally it bothers me when people don't know which one to use. And it bothers me that a lot of people don't know how to spell definitely and tomorrow.
    Posted by JennaV26[/QUOTE]

I am really bad at spelling both of those words.  I see judging by you in my future. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Some things bug me.  When a lot is written as one word, for example.  Otherwise, unless its a ridiculous spelling, eh, its not like readers don't know what the word is supposed to be.

The grammar/spelling "police" are just as obnoxious as the sig police or etiquette police.  No one here is Emily Post or the Webster dictionary. Does someone really have to reply to one post with,"Its supercalifrajalisticexpialadotious, not supercalifrajalisticexpialadocious!
  • advice and advise.

One is noun.  One is a verb.  Seriously.
  • edited May 2010
    Not just you. We all make mistakes.

I think when you're already flaming someone, their spelling and grammar becomes an easy target. Which, at that point, seems like a low blow. It's especially annoying when 6 people catch it and comment on it at the same time.

It's one thing if you really can't comprehend what they are saying because their spelling is so atrocious. It's another to pick on them for misspelling ridiculous or using the wrong there/their/they're. It happens.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards