Wedding Etiquette Forum

WWYD? Long, vent

My best friend came over today with her 4 year old son. She asked to use my lap top and when she was finished she placed it on the floor. Her son came over and jumped on it to close it. (I wasn't home, I was gone to pick up food) When I came back she told me he jumped on it, he broke my room mates sons DS and also broke the dog gate. I tried turning on my lap top and it will not boot. She told me I must have a virus. She tried "fixing" it but it didn't work. She said lets just put it behind the couch for a second and give it a minute. while I was in the kitchen baking her lemon lush for her, her son went behind my couch and began jumping on my lap top again. She said "you better stop that before Sarah beats your butt." He did it again! So i finally yelled and told him to get off of it. She said "ha ha sorry he doesn't listen."I love the kid to death but he DOES. NOT. LISTEN! He punches, slaps and kicks her all the time. She packed up her stuff and left. As she was leaving she said Ill call ya tomorrow, I need to use your other computer to do my journals for clinic. My lap top is brand new and now does not work. He cracked a piece off of it and everything. She didnt even offer to pay for it or anything. She thought it was funny. Should I ask her to pay for what he broke or just let it go? :/

Re: WWYD? Long, vent

• CN: BFF son broke my laptop, a Nintendo ds and my dog gate. She laughed about it and left my house. Do i ask her to pay or should I let it go?
  • If your kid breaks something, you are 100% responsible for replacing or repairing it. Period.She sounds like a winner, and her son sounds like a future winner.
    On bed rest since Groundhog's Day and every day since has been exactly the same.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Blog
  • I am so upset. She is my absolute best friend but her son is so beyond out of control. I dont even know how to go about asking her. She gets extremely defensive about her son and I know she is going to freak out, I just know it.
  • Er, sorry if that was harsh. I just can't imagine laughing it off and leaving without a thousand apologies and immediate offers to fix/replace everything.
    On bed rest since Groundhog's Day and every day since has been exactly the same.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Blog
  • The next time she is walking in the door she would be handing me a new laptop and DS, or she will not get through the door.  There is no way I'd let her use your other computer until she replaces the one her monster broke.  And she KNOWS he broke it, since she didn't ask to use the laptop again, she specifically said she knew she had to use the other computer. Gah, now I'm all worked up for you.  My ex friend had a monster like this.  Kicked out of three day cares by the time he was 3, becuase "no one understands his needs..."
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • But she has NO GROUNDS to freak out. If she does, she is off her rocker. HER son broke YOUR stuff. In no rational world can she expect that to be your responsibility.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Blog
  • Are you kidding me??? I would end a friendship over that. She is rude, disrespectful, and her son sounds like an assshole. I can't even fathom not offering to pay, but I also can't fathom having a child like that. Do not let it go....you are not a doormat.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • It isn't the first time he has done it either. He has broken FI's PS controllers and tortures the hell out of my dogs! I have two small tea cup chihuahuas and one has a collapsed trachea, he insists on choking her all the time. When I got home today, he told me "mommy let me play with the puppies for a while." I just know this could possibly end our friendship.
  • ALSO! As much as it is her responsibility to teach her son to act like an adult, she also apparently needs to learn a hard lesson about being a parent. She's raising the kind of kid that people cite as the reason they hate children. She's the kind of parent that people cite as the reason they hate PARENTS.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Blog
  • I told her he is the best form of birth control I have ever encountered.
  • She's going to accept the fact that, as long as she allows her son to behave like that, she is is going to lose A LOT of friends. If you decide to let her spawn back into the house, take the puppies with you if you leave.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • That is just wrong in every way. She's the mother not only should she have gotten him off the laptop, but to allow him to do it again, she should have been punshing him to the sofa and to sit for the rest of the evening. She was in the wrong as much as the child was. She should definitally be paying for a new laptop. And be saying sorry a million and one times.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • but kids who torture animals... ah... don't always turn out so hot, you know?Ugh, I know, I just had a class on this and I swear hes straight text book. I mentioned to her that he may have some form of adhd, I am no doctor but the child is OUT OF CONTROL. She freaked out on me and told me I knew nothing about parenting.
  • She has lost friends already. Some of her family limits the child to their homes as well.
  • Sarah, I am so beyond mad for you right now!!! I would really want to beat the shiit out of that kid, and his mother. If some little assshole hurt my dogs I would completely flip. Chihuahuas are very tiny and fragile and he could easily break their neck. I may seriously brutally beat a kid if they killed my dog. Do you have pics of your babies? I have 4 chihuahuas:) They are in my bio. 3 are 3-5 lbs, and Beefy is a bg fat man...9 lbs, but short and firmly packed.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • It may make me one of those snotty, know it all childless jerks, but I would blame parenting way faster than ADHD or anything like that. I mean, he may very well have ADHD but she's obviously kind of a permissive and ridiculous parent. I'd try better parenting before medication on a four year old. Is she one of those ones who thinks that the word "no" will break his spirit?Or, even better, does she say, "I can't make him listen!"He's four! Four! Has she not seen Matilda?"I'm big, you're small. I'm right, you're wrong."Can't make him listen, my butt.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Blog
  • You should most definitely ask for reimbursement. Ridiculous
  • Honestly, and I fell horrible saying this but, its more I am too lazy to get up and deal with you so here is whatever you want to make you shut up. I would never want to medicate a child either but you have no idea. He DOES NOT SLEEP. Literally 2 hours a night and doesnt nap either. Constantly screaming and just ugh its so bad. Sacha, not on this computer, :( All my pics of the girls are on my laptop. They are extremely fragile. I have already paid extensive vet bills for both. 1300 for one and 600 for the other. Daisey is 3.5 pounds and white with cream spots and bruiser is 2.5 lbs tan with white spots. They are sisters and 1 year apart.
  • He doesn't sleep? Whats his diet like...?
  • It sounds like your bf hasn't created any boundaries for her kid. You need to establish them in your home. If he can't be trusted with valuable stuff, then he either doesn't come over, or he doesn't get to touch the stuff - it goes in the closet or is otherwise safely tucked away. Also, you absolutely need to tell her the value of the laptop and ask her to reimburse you. I say ask b/c that's the nice way to approach it, but it's really just telling her to reimburse you. Her kid breaking your stuff = her breaking your stuff = she owed you for it. Do not accept no for an answer. If it's the end of the friendship, that's her decision. She can either be a good friend and establish some boundaries re the kid, or she can not. Those are the choices. This COMPLETELY sucks, is not your fault, but you can't let her keep doing this, and getting away with it.
  • Roxy, pure junk! He came to my house after having dinner with his Grandma and ate a bowl of chicken Alfredo, 3 chicken tenders and fries and a piece of lemon lush (in 2 hours). He just went right over and took mine and my other friends food. Thanks for the advice girls. I think I knew what to do but just really hate the outcome. I have finally had enough. I am so upset, I even started crying. FI really can not tolerate this child and hates when he is here because I have to constantly clean up after him. I ALWAYS defend him and say that I dont mind it. This time there was no excuse. I just wasnt sure if becasue of the stress of work and the wedding that i wasnt over reacting and if it was worth the drama with my best friend.
  • OMG.they sound too cute for words, and that brat should not be allowed around them. He could break their little necks. Seriously...please do not trust him. You must post pics as soon as ou get your info off there.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Roxy, pure junk! He came to my house after having dinner with his Grandma and ate a bowl of chicken Alfredo, 3 chicken tenders and fries and a piece of lemon lush (in 2 hours). He just went right over and took mine and my other friends foodThis. Is why he doesn't sleep.
  • 1) She absolutely owes you for the laptop.  2) She will try to argue that she doesn't.3) She KNOWS she does and that you're right, but will be trying to argue her way out of it anyways out of embarrassment for being a jackhole and irritation that you actually demanded what youre owed, costing her hundreds.4) You will never, ever see one cent for that laptop.5) You need to call her out on it anyways, if for no other reason than just principle.

"Whatever East. You're just mad I RSVP'd "lame" to your pre-wedding sleepover."
  • She shows him no limitations. Sacha, I will, Ill upload some tomorrow! They are like my children and I cant stand him around them. They shake when they see him. Its so sad. I always lock them up but when I am not around she lets him take them out. Thanks for the advice ladies! I just realized its 2:30 though and since I can not lay in bed with my laptop its time for me to go. :/
  • East, youre 100% correct.
  • Bye....I think you know the right answer. Life is easier without toxic friends. Can't wait to see the pups.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I would defintely make her pay for it. And if she refuses do NOT let her into your house w/o you being there or at all.
  • Ditto East Do not ever let her or the spawn of Satan in your house again.  Ever.  And never lend her anything again.  Ever.  As a matter of fact, it's time to end the friendship.
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards