Pre-wedding Parties

Rehersal Dinner Ideas???

Hi Everyone,I'm trying to come up with economical ways to do the rehersal dinner.  Does anyone have an idea for a venue in downtown Chicago that won't charge me $40+ a head?

Re: Rehersal Dinner Ideas???

• trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    First of all, try posting this on a local Chicago area board.  This board is international, and people in Anchorage probably won't know much about specific Chicago venues.Having said that:  there are plenty of options.  Have pizza and beer at someone's house.  Have a BBQ picnic-style in someone's yard (weather permitting).  Have family members cook a couple trays of lasagna, add a tossed salad and bread (or get it all at a Costco).  RD's don't have to be formal sit-down dinners. Move away from that idea, and there are tons of options.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • edited December 2011
    We're having ours at our favorite mexican restaurant. I don't even think they have anything on the menu over $12 and the pitchers of beer and margaritas are reasonably priced. If you like mexican and have a good, authentic restaurant in your area it might be an idea.
  • krayzmelmelkrayzmelmel member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    we are having our rehearsal dinner at Olive Garden.  FI's parents booked it so I'm not sure how they managed to reserve it on a Friday night... but I promised FI that I wouldn't bug him about it so i'm just going to have a little faith!  haha my other choices was to have one in an upscale Asian buffet, because most people can find something they like in one of those!!  That being said.... this rehearsal dinner is going to have around 120 people so we really had figure out an inexpensive place... or else it would have costed more than the wedding itself!  :-p
  • edited December 2011
    We first looked for a place that could accommodate the amount of people, then we looked at the food they offered. We found a great buffet that had great food, and does not charge more than $20 a person. This way we did not have to worry about who would only eat what.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • NikkkibeanNikkkibean member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    FI and I are doing a pizza party and bonfire. We're really excited about it!
  • tommyandytommyandy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're doing flip flops, fajitas & margaritas at my folks house. The fajitas will be self assembly style for the ease of accommodating those of us who have allergies & for the vegetarians. If the budget allows, we will rent a 'rita machine. What if you did a rehearsal brunch & had it before the actual rehearsal? Or maybe lite apps & drinks? Think new years party.
  • edited December 2011
    Our rehearsal isn't until 7pm, so we are having snacks and drinks after at my FIL's. It doesn't have to be fancy or expensive
  • edited December 2011
    our rehearsal was pizza, salad and soda in the basement of the church where the rehearsal (and ceremony) was held. total cost for 30 people: $250. not for everyone i know, but it worked perfectly for us. informal, inexpensive, and relatively quick. afterwards the parents went out to a bar with their friends, and we went out to a different bar with our siblings and friends. great time had by all!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    How formal do you want your RD to be?  I'm from Chicago, and we did our RD at Gino's East - Pizza and beer, what can be more simple, yet still fun?  Especially if you have a lot of OOT people that will be there, its a great way to give them a little taste of Chicago.
  • edited December 2011
    I think pizza and/or italian food is a big thing for RDs because it seems that a lot of people have mentioned doing this. I'm from Kentucky and we are also doing italian food for our RD. FIs parents have their own company and do a lot of business with an Italian Restaurant in our town. We are having our RD there and their food is AWESOME and pretty reasonably priced. The restaurant also does catering if we decide to have it somewhere else but still have their food. RDs don't have to be a big deal and cost a lot of money. Go fun and laid back !! Let everyone unwind a little before the big day !
  • rlyttlerlyttle member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We got married in Cincinnati in Sept. For our rehearsal dinner we rented a conference room at the Marriott and had our favorite Cincinnati pizza (larosas) cater it. We had 60 people and the food was $350. We had salad, pizza, wings, lasagna, and deserts. We also had a keg of beer, cosmos, and tons of pop and water. Everyone LOVED it!! I just wanted to have a laid back rehearsal dinner that didn't cost a ton since the wedding was HUGE!! 
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • hmccracken28hmccracken28 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Not sure if this is an option but we are doing our rehearsal in the morning and having brunch at my parents' house. Catering breakfast is much cheaper than dinner, even if you get creative with stuffed french toast, tomato & basil eggs, etc. Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    Since Chicago is famous for pizza I think that would be a fun treat for everyone. We found a restraunt with a private room (they didnt charge us for it) and they served a selected menu that was pre-picked and had a beer and wine bar in the room set up for us. It was easy and cost effective. New Bio! www.kimanderic.weebly.com
  • edited December 2011
    We are doing bowling and pizza.  We got a really great price at the bowling alley and just ordered pizzas.  You could also just buy some take and bakes and have someone bake them and bring them. Depending on the time of year (which I wish we werent' getting married in January for this reason) you could do a backyard bbq and smore roasting.  I love the idea of being really laid back for the rehersal dinner since everyone will be dressed up nice for the wedding the next day.
  • shelly.codyshelly.cody member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are having our rehearsal dinner at an amazing local pizza place. They have a seperate building that is a party room. We can have as much pizza, beer, and soda we want...all for $300.
  • edited December 2011
    I was thinkning of having a low-country boil. Our apartment complex has a nice pool and we are goign to host it there. It should cost about $100.
  • edited December 2011
    I live in Madison, WI.I'm renting a meeting room at a hotel (Super 8) and having Giordano's from Rockford cater the event. The room is $50 for 3 hours and that includes the pool for the kids, and we can feed everyone for under $400 and that includes all beverages and alcohol also. We have 37 guests.Giordano's is my FH's favorite food EVER and it's really afforable.So I'd try Giordano's downtown. Everyone loves it and it's very afforable! You don't have to get pizza. We're doing all sorta of things. Good luck!Maggiemkdieck@gmail.com
  • NikkiesixNikkiesix member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Don't go crazy over the reh. dinner. We had our actual rehearsal at the venue and then we had a catered casual dinner back at our house on our front porch. It was really nice and casual which is what hubby and I were looking for. It was great and pretty inexpensive! If you have the location to do it its great. Also, we had ours on wednesday and got married on Friday. Good Luck
  • edited December 2011
    Our RD will take place at the reception hall of my parish on the South side of Chicago, at no charge!  We hired a caterer to to bring in food and beverages.  The parish has table linens, dishes, glasses, and flatware.  Toral cost for 40 pp = $250.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards