New York-New York City

help for out of towner on a budget- Dec 2010 abt 50 people

I live in Texas but all my family's in NY. We want to do a Dec 11 wedding for about 50 people on a budget of $10K in NY. Is this possible to accomplish this including photographer, video, food, drinks, dj, flowers, etc? I am not picky about flowers or centerpieces and fine with a cocktail party type of reception and even scaling down to wine & beer if necessary. Also want a cucpake tower as a birthday cake vs a wedding cake. We can do Queens, Brooklyn, Long Island, the city, wherever! I'll do anything to save money, except we must have a dance floor! I already have a dress and travel to NY is in addition to the budget. A view would be nice but I fear our budget wont allow for it.

Can anyone recommend venues and/or vendors? I know there's not a lot of time and it's Christmas party season but it's my 40th birthday and we'd love to do it that day.

I'm originally from NY and moved here just want to say thanks fellow New Yorkers for all your help!

Re: help for out of towner on a budget- Dec 2010 abt 50 people

• edited December 2011
    I wish I could trade places with you. I'm iin NYC planning one in Houston. Good luck.
  • edited December 2011
    Take a look at Tosca Marquee in the Bronx.  A friend of mine just booked her wedding there and it sounds reasonably priced.  Not sure about availability though...Good luck!
  • marisa17marisa17 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    oh hi jkara525 - Hahaha! I was going to suggest Tosca. Our guarantee is 55 people but yea go talk with Charles at Tosca Marquee to see if this can be arranged for your wedding. The venue is very nice and it is in the Throgs Neck (mainly Italian, Spanish families) section of the Bronx.

You can PM me if you need more info re: pricing.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Wedding Countdown Ticker

I love my soon-to-be husband!

• brideinsatbrideinsat member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    bRooklynRocks Maybe we can help each other? I live in San Antonio and get to Houston about once a month.

Thanks everyone for the Tosca reco. I will check them out.
  • lucyslovelucyslove member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You should look at Thalassa Restaurant.  I had a friend who was married there and she had a smaller budget too.  The food was really good and the restaurant was nice.
  • edited December 2011
    It will be possible....but difficult.  Your best bet, like others suggested, are restaurants.  I looked at both of the previously mentioned restaurants and they are gorgeous inside.  For those, you are looking at $75 to $100 per person.  Remember than any price quoted will have an additional 20% gratuity and 8.75% sales tax.

Also, just to give you an idea, cheap photogrphers are about $1,000, and cheap videographers are closer to $2,000. At least at real companies, not sure about independents.

Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-new-york-city_out-of-towner-budget-dec-2010-abt-50-people?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:114Discussion:28bab98f-64d5-4080-a6b8-238f812632a0Post:a65db218-2729-4a91-9031-87f1f127ce78">help for out of towner on a budget- Dec 2010 abt 50 people</a>:
    [QUOTE]I live in Texas but all my family's in NY. We want to do a Dec 11 wedding for about 50 people on a budget of $10K in NY. Is this possible to accomplish this including photographer, video, food, drinks, dj, flowers, etc? I am not picky about flowers or centerpieces and fine with a cocktail party type of reception and even scaling down to wine & beer if necessary. Also want a cucpake tower as a birthday cake vs a wedding cake. We can do Queens, Brooklyn, Long Island, the city, wherever! I'll do anything to save money, except we must have a dance floor! I already have a dress and travel to NY is in addition to the budget. A view would be nice but I fear our budget wont allow for it. Can anyone recommend venues and/or vendors? I know there's not a lot of time and it's Christmas party season but it's my 40th birthday and we'd love to do it that day. I'm originally from NY and moved here just want to say thanks fellow New Yorkers for all your help!
    Posted by brideinsat[/QUOTE]
    If you DIY and buy a cheap dress, you might be able to get away with that kind of budget, with the exception of the photography and videography.  You're probably going to have to pick either photos or a video.  For a bar, look into a limited bar to save money.  I'm doing beer, wine, and a signature drink.  Think about it this way, the reception is usually about 50% of your budget ($5,000 in your case).  So that leaves you with $5,000 for everything else.  <div>
    </div><div>Also, if you are inviting 50 people, you probably won't get 50 people at your wedding.  So, be wary of booking a place that makes you guarantee 50 people unless you are willing to pay for people who don't show up.  Tosca is great, but I would recommend a restaurant with a guest list of that size.  </div>
  • brideinsatbrideinsat member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks Goldlie11,
    I already got the dress and yes, going for DIY centerpeices/favors. Since it's Christmas season we were thinking of something with ornaments I saw online. We have about 70 on our list so estimating 50 will show up. I like the restaraunt idea but really want a dance floor so it wont work. If I can get a place that's available on our date, around $60 for food & drinks, I think we can pull off the rest. I think out families will help out with limo, rehearsal dinner and Sunday brunch so that makes things easier.
  • marisa17marisa17 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-new-york-city_out-of-towner-budget-dec-2010-abt-50-people?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:114Discussion:28bab98f-64d5-4080-a6b8-238f812632a0Post:6c3ce334-8e99-4203-9586-7ccc73112a25">Re: help for out of towner on a budget- Dec 2010 abt 50 people</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks Goldlie11 , I already got the dress and yes, going for DIY centerpeices/favors. Since it's Christmas season we were thinking of something with ornaments I saw online. We have about 70 on our list so estimating 50 will show up. I like the restaraunt idea but really want a dance floor so it wont work. If I can get a place that's available on our date, around $60 for food & drinks, I think we can pull off the rest. I think out families will help out with limo, rehearsal dinner and Sunday brunch so that makes things easier.

I know you said Dec 11, but think Friday and afternoon receptions can sometimes be $10-20 less per person..Just a suggestion! Tosca fits 90 ppl in its small room (w/o) dance floor so I think 55-60max would be fine!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Wedding Countdown Ticker

I love my soon-to-be husband!

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-new-york-city_out-of-towner-budget-dec-2010-abt-50-people?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:114Discussion:28bab98f-64d5-4080-a6b8-238f812632a0Post:6c3ce334-8e99-4203-9586-7ccc73112a25">Re: help for out of towner on a budget- Dec 2010 abt 50 people</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks Goldlie11 , I already got the dress and yes, going for DIY centerpeices/favors. Since it's Christmas season we were thinking of something with ornaments I saw online. We have about 70 on our list so estimating 50 will show up. I like the restaraunt idea but really want a dance floor so it wont work. If I can get a place that's available on our date, around $60 for food & drinks, I think we can pull off the rest. I think out families will help out with limo, rehearsal dinner and Sunday brunch so that makes things easier.
    Oh, ok.  I'm inviting 70 but figure I'll get about 50.  You can try Tosca but it's not $60.   Maybe they will work with you if you skip the cocktail hour or something.  Good luck.  
  • prusgirlprusgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Go to www.weddingsitesandservices.com.

I recommend going in Queens if you are trying to save money.  The area is very accessible for all your guests and they have great venues.

I got married at the Sunset Terrace at Chelsea Piers; they do groups of 50. But, that time of the year may be too cold.
  • rosedemorosedemo member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Try Jason Wasserman for Video
  • edited December 2011
    Suggestion for photography: http://www.tiffanyarment.com/

I haven't worked with her, but she's a friend of a friend, really talented, and starts at $1200 for six hours with two photographers!!
    DW Siggy Challenge: Halloween Pictures!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • erin579erin579 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Here are a couple of ideas.  Some we checked out for our wedding, some I have ony heard of.

http://watersedgenyc.com/weddings.html - we did not go here but it does have a view of the city, it's in long island city.

http://www.butterrestaurant.com/#/space we did check this place out for our wedding, it's a neat venue and has a downstairs area that can be set up for dancing. 

http://www.easternstarcruises.com/index.html this is who we ultimately went with.  We are getting married on a boat next month and are completely excited with the idea of sailing around manhattan.  Of course december may be a little too chilliy for something like this.......

good luck.
    Erin

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards