Honeymoon Discussions

Italy in December for a honeymoon?

We are getting married in October, but both work for public schools and are subject to school vacations.  We were toying with the idea of going to Italy during our April breaks, but that won't work for me.  So, another option is Italy over the winter break.  Has anyone been to Italy over the Christmas week and what was your experience?

Re: Italy in December for a honeymoon?

• In college I did a mini mester study abroad that left right after the New Year and we went to Rome and Southern Italy. Italy celebrates Jan 6th which is the Epiphany, and in Rome it was really crowded with a lot of tourists and people from around that area visiting. The Vatican has a huge manger display that is amazing and there are some piazzas with Christmas decorations and what not. In Rome and Southern Italy the weather was also mild; you needed a coat but it wasn't freezing or snowing.
  • I studied abroad in Italy for a year and during Christmas time it was pretty cold.  Depending on where you want to go, there will always be a lot of tourists.  I love Venice, but would not recommend going in December.  It is cold and mostly everything is closed.  

Because the whole country is religious, there are lights everywhere, a huge Christmas tree in front of the Colosseum, and yummy pastries everywhere.  It is a really cute time in Italy, you just need to dress for the weather.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards