Getting in Shape

Don't lose any more weight!?

So I bought my wedding dress at a Running of the Brides sale last April, when I was about 25+lbs heavier. It was a little big even then but I knew it could be altered. Since September/October, I've been exercising more and doing Weight Watchers and manages to lose over 25lbs. My seamstress has had my dress since November and she hasn't done any alterations yet since I'm stil losing weight and doesn't want to do double or even triple work.

So I went in yesterday for a fitting and I did not realize how much I've actually lost! My dress is huge on me, even where she already put pins in where she'll taking it in. So she looked up at me and said, "Don't lose any more weight! I mean maybe another 10lbs or so. But if you lose much more than that between now and the wedding(June 9th), your dress won't fit you well; I can only take the dress in so much. You should probably begin stabilizing soon." My heart dropped. I've worked so hard to lose the weight I have so far and I don't want anyone to tell me that I shouldn't lose more. To reach my personal goal weight, I have about another 30lbs to lose. Should I just get a new dress (which I really don't have money for) or just start to stabilize my weight loss as suggested? Has this happened to anyone before? TIA!

Re: Don't lose any more weight!?

• Congrats on losing the weight! That is awesome. 

Really it is just up to you and what you can handle and afford. There are inexpensive dresses out there that you could probably find in time for your wedding, but if you are in love with your dress, listen to your seamstress. There is only so much she can do or it's basically not going to be the dress you chose any longer. While I would never encourage someone to stop being healthy, perhaps you can maintain this weight and then continue your weight loss after the wedding? 

I know you want to keep losing and look your best for the big day, so if you decide that is more important to you than wearing the particular dress you chose, go for it. However do keep in mind that as you continue with WW and losing weight, your body often slows down and you will not lose as quickly as you did in the beginning. 
    April Siggy Challenge-Wedding Escape: Reading HG/dreaming about Peeta.... Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker Bio-Updated 4/22**
  • Congrats on your weight loss, that's fantastic!

Just because you go into maintenance now doesn't mean you can't get back to losing weight after the wedding.  I ended up losing a bit too much from my dress (completely by accident)--you can tell it's too big in the bust in my sig picture, and there was really nothing that could be done about it, unfortunately.  I had to keep an eye on the neckline of my dress all night and be careful not to lean forward too far, etc.  It was a major pain, and it's really, really obvious in some of our pictures.  

There is no way I'd shell out for another dress.  Just start maintaining, and get back to losing after the wedding.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Along with PP, congrats on the weight loss thus far!  It takes a lot of discipline and willpower to lose like that!

I would agree that perhaps you could try to maintain for now, and go back to finishing up your weight loss after the wedding.   Trust your seamstress on this one, she knows what she's doing.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I would suggest you maintain what you have.  I got married in September and almost had a major dress issue because of weight loss. When I bought my dress it was a size 16W I then managed to lose 45 lbs at 31 inches.  By the time it was time to do my fitting in August my dress didn't fit and I was into a size 10. taking the dress in would have altered it too much and cost me a fortune and because of the colour it was going to be difficult to find another one.  In the end I was lucky and they were able to switch the dress to one in the size I needed with and the colour that was on it but for a week it was a nightmare worrying about whether or not I was going to have a dress.  I did plan on losing the weight after I initally tried on the dress but really how many brides say that I was surprised with my dedication to lose it but would never want to go through not knowing whether or not I would have a dress again
  • I know a lot of people seem to say "maintain," and rightly so with the dress being SUCH an important part of the wedding for us brides ... but my personal feeling is that if I was making that kind of progress and felt I could continue to make progress, I'd take my health and weight loss over the dress. If you're worried about money, you could consider selling your current dress and looking for something off the rack. You might break even. Just another perspective.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_dont-lose-weight?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:c51b6cc8-afea-49e9-b429-d7959d894d40Post:9b8bd5ca-5008-434d-83e9-70c7350625f7">Re: Don't lose any more weight!?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I know a lot of people seem to say "maintain," and rightly so with the dress being SUCH an important part of the wedding for us brides ... but my personal feeling is that if I was making that kind of progress and felt I could continue to make progress, I'd take my health and weight loss over the dress. If you're worried about money, you could consider selling your current dress and looking for something off the rack. You might break even. Just another perspective.
    Posted by ltleen[/QUOTE]

Thanks for providing this perspective! Much appreciated since this did cross my mind!
  • You ladies are great! Thank you all for chiming in! I'll just have to see where it goes from here!
  • If I were making progress like you are I wouldn't listen to anyone who told me to stop!
    Who says you'll be able to pick up where you left off after the wedding.  Its not just about looking good on your wedding day.  Losing weight and getting in shape is about your health.  I would seek out a second opinion from a different Tailor/ seamstress.  If they agree that you're too small to have your dress altered I'd consider a new dress but I truly believe that a talented professional can make your dress work for you.

Keep up the good work and don't let anybody stop you.  You're doing this for you not for your wedding!!!

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_dont-lose-weight?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:c51b6cc8-afea-49e9-b429-d7959d894d40Post:cc5917c0-7742-43a6-9d24-244dea4db9d0">Re: Don't lose any more weight!?</a>:
    [QUOTE]If I were making progress like you are I wouldn't listen to anyone who told me to stop! Who says you'll be able to pick up where you left off after the wedding.  Its not just about looking good on your wedding day.  Losing weight and getting in shape is about your health.  I would seek out a second opinion from a different Tailor/ seamstress.  If they agree that you're too small to have your dress altered I'd consider a new dress <strong>but I truly believe that a talented professional can make your dress work for you</strong>. Keep up the good work and don't let anybody stop you.  You're doing this for you not for your wedding!!!
    Posted by DeborahLynne[/QUOTE]

It absolutely depends on the dress.  If there is a lot of detailing, NO, it can't be taken in more than about 2 sizes usually.  It doesn't matter if it's a seamstress working out of her basement in her spare time or someone that works for YSL. 

I agree that your health is most important, but if you can't afford another dress, then you do what you have to do to fit into the one you have. 

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • I agree that you should lose what you want to and deal with the dress issue after.  I personally want to feel and look thin for my wedding and honeymoon and not stay heavier than I want to be for a dress.  There are a lot of dresses out there that will look different and better on you after you lose weight and you will probably find one you like as much if not even more.  Selling the other one to help offset your cost is a great idea, too.  You still have time so start putting a little away here and there and see what you can scrape together for a dress that will flatter your new slim figure. 

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • If it was me I think I would continue to work on my goals.  I would post your dress on here and recycled bride right away and maybe even check out some local shops in your area that will buy a dress for resale.  You live in a big city so there should be something like that.  I know my sister in law went to one in Florida to look for her dress - it is like a consignment for weddings.  Then I would take that money and put it towards another dress that would fit me at a smaller size.  I feel like I saw a davids bridal sale commercial recently and Filenes Basemenet is now going out of business so I have heard of people getting great deals on wedding dresses at their location in New York and Boston w/o the running of the brides.  You could even look on here or recycled bride for another dress or also google other going out of business sales in your area.  I got my dress 80% off because the place was closing their doors in like 2 days and wanted everything out.  Finally, congrats on yur weight loss!! That is amazing!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited January 2012
    Thanks so much! I think I will just continue to work on my goals and not let the dress thing distract me(I kinda already did when I indulged in a ridiculous amount of coffee ice cream this weekend lol). I'm still a big girl and have never been able to stick to something like this before so I want to see how far I can go. To be completeky honest, I was never in love with the dress but I knew I could have some things on it altered to be more like my dream dress. So maybe this is a chance to get the dress I really want. I'm quite the budget bride and managed to find other ways to cut costs so I'm sure it won't be too much of a problem to figure this dress thing out. I really appreciate all the virtual support on my weight loss and making this decision!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards