Chit Chat

Videography: waste of money?

So I booked a videographer today for $1,500. It comes with full day ceremony and reception. When I told my mom, she thought I was crazy and that a videographer is a huge waste of money.

What do you think? 

BTW - $1500 was the most reasonable price I found. Some places quoted me 2 and 3k! 
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Videography: waste of money?

• At first I was going to skip the video, but after thinking about it, I decided I really wanted it.  It does cost extra, but I think it is worth it!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Anniversary

• I couldn't really vote - there was no option that captured my opinion.  I think videography is important if you want to capture the entirety of the ceremony, reception, etc.  I don't have the 1500 to spare.  A family friend offered to tape the ceremony for us - fortunately for us, it's his hobby. 

Who's paying for the videographer?  If your mom is paying for it, I see her thinking it may be a waste of money.  If you're paying, well, you obviously have your answer.
  • Are you SURE that the cheapest around you is $1500?? That IS a lot. Go to your local board and see if anyone has found someone cheaper. I am in Chicago, and we found one for $800.
    And the whole time, my future husband was in the room...... image image
  • If you've got the cash and it's important to you, I don't think it's a waste.  I couldn't personally justify the expense, but that's just me.  A family friend likes doing that and will be taping our ceremony and important events at the reception, and that was enough for me. 
  • I think it depends on the individual.  For DH and I, yes, any money spent on videography would've been a waste because it wasn't something we were interested in having.

For others, though, that feel capturing a video log of the day's events is important, $1,500 would not be a waste of money.

DH and I were told by many that we would regret not having a video.  We don't.
  • Honestly, yes, I think it's a waste. I must be in the minority among my group because people were shocked we didn't have a professional. But it would be pointless, DH and I would never watch a video. We hate the way we look and sound on camera, and I get really nervous watching myself. I would bury the tape and never pull it out again. Photos are fine for me.
  • ExpatPumpkinExpatPumpkin member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited April 2010
    I think it was one of our best investments, and we spent even more than that...  After the day is over, all you have - besides your memories and your marriage ;) - is pictures and possibly a video.

We love ours.  Aside from all the coverage, we got a 7-minute highlights piece that shows the day from start to finish.  That's what we show friends and family who couldn't make it to the wedding...  It's in my bio if you're curious.

So I say it's not a waste of money if you can swing it.  I doubt you'll regret your decision ;)
  • I am going with a Videographer.  I got a package deal with a Photographer, Videographer and DJ for $3700 total and they are well know where I live and they have a great reputation.

I definitely say having a video of your wedding is worth it.  Pictures are great but a video shows a whole different side to your special day. Smile

• I couldn't vote because I don't know if you have the money for it and if it is one of your priorities.  For me, it would have been a complete waste.  But that's because having a professional video was not at all important to me.  One of my friends brought her video camera (she offered - I wouldn't have asked) and she taped much of the day for us.  I've watched it a few times but if it had been a pro, I don't think I would have enjoyed it any more.  

I really liked being able to watch the part of the ceremony that happened before I came into the church.  Also, it would be wonderful to have if I was ever going to have children.

So if it is important to you and you have the money for it (without giving up other things that are more important), I would say it might be worth it.  I would try to shop around more if you think the price might be higher than you could get from another videographer.
  • I think it is totally worth the money.  We are having 300+ people and with the video i will be able to see all the things I missed at the wedding.  Plus I think it is just nice to have.  
  • I am having just the ceremony done for $300.  We talked about, and we feel that is all we want/need. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

2011 Reading Challenge

Jessica has read 16 books toward her goal of 150 books.
    hide
    "It's fine to have an open mind, just not so open your brains fall out."
  • I've only put "yes," because of the amount.  Independent films have been made for less.  Unless they are screening your wedding at a film fest, you're being ripped off.

As for having it filmed, yes, I'm all for that.
    10-10-10
  • I think videography and photography are two of the best investments made on your wedding day because once the day is over.. the food will have been eaten.. the drinks will have been drank.. the flowers will have wilted..the dances are over..etc.. but you'll have your pictures and videos forever. I also think it's great to have it on video, because then your children and grandchildren can watch it in the future.
  • Eh. If it's really important to you, then go for it.

I will add though, my dad was remarried and he and his wife had a videographer. It was "super super" important to her to have it. It's been about six years, and they have never watched it. She regrets even thinking about paying for it now.
  • I'm so glad we had a videographer.  Our photographer couldn't bring his assistant along, so without the videographers, there's probably a fair amount of the day that we would have missed.  For instance, he lost a lot of time going between the suite where I was getting ready and the suite where H was.  But one videographer stayed with me and one with him, so we still have that documentation.  Plus, after the photographer left, the videographers were able to capture a couple of stills when we realized that there were family pictures we'd missed.

We paid about $1K for ours, and that was at a pretty steep discount on her normal services.  If you can comfortably afford the $1500 without skimping on your guests, then go for it.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • A friend is filming the ceremony.  Then we'll have great photos, that is all we need..how often would you actually sit and watch the video, and why is that so much better than looking through your photos?
    imageimageVacation Till our honeymoon!!!
  • We just got the video from our wedding back and I am so beyond THRILLED we got one. It was never not an option for us, but I can't even begin to tell you how many times we've watched it already. Watching our ceremony brought back so many awesome memories, laughing at everyone dancing at the reception, etc. I just love it and I know in many years to come we will still enjoy watching it!!! IMO 1500 is a really great price!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards