Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions

How many musicians for church?

I'd like to book a string ensemble for my church ceremony, but I'm not really sure how to determine how many musicians I will need. Is there some kind of formula for this? It's probably an average sized church, so I think I will need at least a trio, but I'm worried that won't be enough.

Is there a rule of thumb I'm not aware of?

Re: How many musicians for church?

• pirategal03pirategal03 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm sorry, I don't understand, enough for what?  Are you worried about the sound carrying to everyone?  Everyone being able to see a musician? 

The number of musicians would be better determined by the type of instruments you want and the arrangements you want played.  I personally love a solo guitar, or a violin cello duo, but that's because of my musical taste, no other reason.

One bagpiper would probably be enough.  Wink
  • edited December 2011
    I guess I wasn't clear. I mean enough for the sound to carry throug out the entire church. I don't care so much if everyone can see but I don't want it to not be loud enough. I definitely like a violin, I was thinking  with a viola and a cello...
  • pirategal03pirategal03 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Your musicians should be able to project their sound so that everyone in the space can hear.  When you're talking with them, ask if they are familiar with your church, or give them a "my church seats ###, have you played in a space that size? can you project your sound for a space that size?".

FWIW my church seats 300+ a single violin can be heard in the back just fine.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards