African American Weddings

Rogue Mom

My mom has been inviting people without my knowledge to my wedding, which she is not financially contributing to. She keeps saying its for the sake of good gifts. Thing is the my guest list is at capacity. And she has volunteered herself to be in charge of invitations. Do Ive been considering just doing the invitations myself and give her the programs to do. I don't want a bunch of people I am not close to at my wedding! How do I break it to her?

Re: Rogue Mom

• Honestly I told my mom I didn't want any weirdos at my wedding. Lol I think the direct approach is the best way.
  • edited May 2012
    I agree with PP, be very direct with your mom.  Let her know you're on a budget and only want close family & friends of yours and FIs.  Sometimes the gifts aren't all that "good" anyway...lol  You might end up paying more for the guest than their gift is worth :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    133 Invited image 92 Are ready to celebrate! image 24 Are missing out image 17 Can't find the mailbox. image
  • Yep.  Tell her the truth, be direct.  She's your mom, she'll understand.
    Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest! Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • The mr and I have both had to tell our momma pump the brakes! My mom said the same thing about gifts!
  • Direct approach
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Simply Fabulous!
  • Tell her sure they can come if she pays for them all.
    imageAnniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_rogue-mom?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:400Discussion:53cec02e-6b6d-4a3f-95fa-e01ff6897b51Post:4c877d86-7480-4131-86e6-1dfcf5d3f4b7">Re: Rogue Mom</a>:
    [QUOTE]Tell her sure they can come if she pays for them all.
    Posted by 20pearls16[/QUOTE]

BOOM! This usually makes people hush!
  • Thanks for the advice, I just think she wants to feel involved. I'll have to find her something else to do fast!

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_rogue-mom?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:400Discussion:53cec02e-6b6d-4a3f-95fa-e01ff6897b51Post:9e4e4ccd-62ea-4a2d-bd40-d3b9bbb44455">Re: Rogue Mom</a>:
    [QUOTE]The mr and I have both had to tell our momma pump the brakes! My mom said the same thing about gifts!
    Posted by Strv2perfection[/QUOTE]

This... I had it from both my mom and my aunt!.. But after they volunteered to put money up I kept my mouth shut!..lol Although.. I still reigned them in so that they weren't going too overboard...and it all worked out in the end!
    Anniversary BabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_rogue-mom?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:400Discussion:53cec02e-6b6d-4a3f-95fa-e01ff6897b51Post:861f7099-2b93-4aaa-b2f6-78995187bfc4">Re: Rogue Mom</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks for the advice,<strong> I just think she wants to feel involved. I'll have to find her something else to do fast!</strong>
    Posted by jazzygray[/QUOTE]

<div>Maybe you can put her on a craft???</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards