Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

To cake or not to cake...

I am not a huge cake fan and it is so expensive!! I know it is a huge point of the wedding reception, but I was wondering any ideas for alternative cake options? Cupcake, cheesecake, ect??

Re: To cake or not to cake...

• Donuts!  Whoopie Pies!  Eclairs! Yummy! Damn food cravings! hahahaha
    "I reject your reality and substitute my own." "Who doesn't LOVE candy?" Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • My H isn't a big cake fan either, so we had cheesecakes instead.  I bought the pre-sliced cheesecakes from the Super Walmart deli, so they were fresh not frozen.  They were delicious and a big hit at our reception.  Pics in married bio of how we set it up.  The thing with cheesecakes is they can only be out for a 3-4 hours, so we didnt' have them out at the start of the reception.  The venue staff brought them out for display after dinner.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My cousin's grooms cake was a tower of krispy kreme donuts shaped to look like a cake...I thought that was a pretty good idea!
  • You know those big cookie cakes at the mall?  We're doing those in tiers.  I'm going to have to make the cake stand custom, but I'm super excited about it.  We're also having cookies, truffles, chocolate covered pretzels, and mini-cheesecakes (hopefully) to round out the dessert offerings.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • GOD! I LOVE CHEESECAKE anyways... !  Have fun with this one!
  • We are doing an ice cream sundae bar.  Be creative!
    - Crystallee What we choose changes us. Who we love transforms us, how we create reshapes is, what we do remakes us. - Dr. Eugene Callender
  • We are not big fans of cake either.

So we decided to go with cupcakes. There will be a tier of them to mimic a cake and a small cake at the top for us to cut!!

Go with your favorite dessert!! it adds a cute custom and unique touch!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We are having a wedding cake but for the "grooms cake" we are having Round Rock Donuts which are my FI favorite and we are putting them on tiered trays. I think they are going to look great & be a huge hit.

Not having a wedding cake is becoming more common-place I think. I've seen weddings with pies, cheesecakes, cupcakes, or just a candy bar. Do whatever you want, its your day! I think as long as you have some sort of sweets everyone will be happy.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We found out that mini cakes are less expensive (depending on where you go) than big cakes, so we decided on three to five really little cakes, probably no taller than a foot, spread across the desert table. And the desert table is pretty much everything except hard candy. The best looking weddings I've seen have desert tables that look like retro candy stores though.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards