Snarky Brides

Ok, we solved the problem, now share your quinoa recipes please.

NFT.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.

Re: Ok, we solved the problem, now share your quinoa recipes please.

• Cheesecloth?
  • Cheesecloth. Or, even a clean J-cloth will do the trick. Make it like an upside-down parachute, and rinse the quinoa in small batches.

You'll probably still lose a few stragglers, but those are the ones that didn't want to get eaten anyway. ;)
  • That would work....if I had some.

If I line a colander with paper towel, will that work?

• Ok, no, this is somethign I need to do like RIGHT NOW.  I should have specified that.

• Paper towel or coffee filter should work. 
  • I use a small strainer.  I think you could do the paper towel trick, but some of the quinoa will stick so you'll have some loss.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_please-tell-rinse-quinoa-rinsing-down-drain?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:4a5d71f5-2d4d-444d-9b3b-52e577d2ca6dPost:2004fac5-a1a2-4ddb-9475-5c6ad44e9e0a">Re: Please tell me how to rinse quinoa without rinsing it down the drain.</a>:
    [QUOTE]That would work....if I had some. If I line a colander with paper towel, will that work?
    Posted by J&K10910[/QUOTE]

I would think so. Maybe do it twice?
  • Ok, I used the papertowel.  Some DID stick, and I'm not sure exactly how rinsed it got, but for being unprepared, it worked ok. 

Investing in a mesh strainer asap.

Thanks guys!

• I use a wire mesh strainer.  But a paper towel, or coffee filter should do it, it'll just take a little while to drain.
  • Also, since you're all here, if you want to share your favorite uses/recipes for quinoa with me, I wouldn't object to that.

• I'm an idjit... what the hell is NFT?
    Thanks.

• hahahahahaha I say idjit IRL all the damn time.

No Further Text

• So I'm a quinoa virgin (haha, it's been a long time since I referred to myself as a virgin anything!). Do you make it with dishes you'd otherwise make rice with? Or is it like couscous?
    Malcolm AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I use it mixed with brown rice, actually.  It just adds another texture. :)

J- this is one of my alltime favorite WW recipes. http://www.weightwatchers.com/food/rcp/RecipePage.aspx?recipeid=100601
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_please-tell-rinse-quinoa-rinsing-down-drain?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:4a5d71f5-2d4d-444d-9b3b-52e577d2ca6dPost:747bf690-b8e2-4ced-8d4b-fc2535b50309">Re: Please tell me how to rinse quinoa without rinsing it down the drain.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Also, since you're all here, if you want to share your favorite uses/recipes for quinoa with me, I wouldn't object to that.
    Posted by J&K10910[/QUOTE]

Actually, this is about the only thing I use it for. 

<a href="http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes/1767" rel="nofollow">http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes/1767</a>

Roasted stuffed bell peppers, sometimes I just cut up the peppers and cook it with the mixture and don't bother to stuff them and roast them.
  • That looks good Steph!  (ETA:  and Pirate)

I made some extra tonight (I'm making these: http://www.soveryblessed.com/2012/01/cheesy-quinoa-bites.html), and I want to experiment.  I'm thinking of doing a Mediterranean type salad...some lemon juice, balsamic and/or red wine vinegar, feta, grape tomatoes, cucumber.

I need ideas for healthy lunches that don't need to be refrigerated.  Would something like that or what you posted, Steph, be ok out of the fridge for 4-5 hours?

• Yeah, probably.  It lasted in the fridge for a week too (then it was gone, but I'm sure it would've lasted even longer.)

I've also tossed some quinoa with dijon mustard and that was really good too.
  • Last night we cooked some garlic and onions in duck fat (I had some in the fridge from our Thanksgiving duck). Then I mixed that in with quinoa cooked in chicken broth. Amazing.
  • That looks really good, Sarah!  I loooove avocado.

• Funny you should ask that.

I used way less cilantro, and I used shredded cheddar instead of parmesan.   They were delicious!

• I add a little chicken broth to the quinoa while it's cooking, maybe some lemon zest.  Then I add the cooked quinoa to cherry tomatoes, green onion, fresh minced parsley, lemon juice and a dash of olive oil.  Season with salt and pepper.
  • That sounds good too Mica!  Thank you!

My H even liked the quinoa, which surprised me.  So I think I'll be doing some experimentation for sure.

• Loaded Quinoa Veggie Burgers

1/2 cup uncooked quinoa1 carrot, diced4 scallions, sliced 2 cloves garlic15 ounces can black beans, drained and rinsed 1/4 cup Italian seasoned dried breadcrumbs 1 large egg, lightly beaten 1 tablespoon ground cumin ¾ teaspoon salt ½ teaspoon pepper 2 tablespoons olive oil In a small pot, bring 3/4 cup water to a boil. Add quinoa, cover, and reduce heat to low. Cook until liquid is absorbed, 12 to 14 minutes; set aside. In a food processor, pulse carrot until finely chopped. Add cooked quinoa, scallions, garlic, beans, breadcrumbs, egg, cumin, salt, and pepper; pulse until combined but still slightly chunky. Form mixture into four patties. In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium; cook burgers until browned, about 8 minutes per side. serves 4

Enjoy!
    imageVacation
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards