Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Seating Chart During Ceremony?

I am debating whether or not I want children at the wedding at all (Our ceremony and reception is in the same place). I have been to several weddings where there are screaming babies and the mothers don't walk out the door with them because they are in the middle of the row.

I was thinking, if I can assign seating during the ceremony, I can stick all the babies in the back row. How could I do that without obviously offending all the parents? Please help!

Re: Seating Chart During Ceremony?

• edited December 2010
    Other than reserved seating up front for the wedding party and immediate family, I've never seen assigned seating at a wedding ceremony.
  • I've never seen assigned seathing, either, except for reserved signs.  How many babies are you expecting?  And as long as your ceremony isn't terribly long, the babies probably won't even cry.

To answer your question, I don't think there is a way to seat all of the babies at the back without offending the parents.  They will notice.
  • Like PPs, I have never seen assigned seating at a ceremony, other than the front couple of rows reserved for wedding party and family.

I think the only thing you can do here is to get the ushers to ush people to an appropriate place, and get them to maybe ask the parents if they'd like to sit on the end of the row so that they can exit quickly if they need to.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_seating-chart-during-ceremony?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:10Discussion:4bb45f93-256d-470a-8567-f9c097d9e4fePost:639593b9-9f71-4cf0-93b9-519e51851d6d">Re: Seating Chart During Ceremony?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Other than reserved seating up front for the wedding party and immediate family, I've never seen assigned seating at a wedding ceremony.
    Posted by SaraAndrew2010[/QUOTE]

Me, either.
  • I have never seen assigned seating at a ceremony either. I would be put off if I came into a wedding ceremony and the usher told me where I HAD to sit, esp. if I was a mother who got relegated to the very last pew.

Give the mothers (and kids) some credit. Chances are, they won't even scream. if they do, many mothers DO decide to step out with them--don't let a couple exceptions taint your view of all mothers. And those who will refuse to leave will refuse either way no matter where they are seated.

Just let guests sit where they want and don't offend anyone.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_seating-chart-during-ceremony?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:10Discussion:4bb45f93-256d-470a-8567-f9c097d9e4fePost:bdc23875-6e34-4c0f-82bb-d843515a06ac">Re: Seating Chart During Ceremony?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Well, even if you don't have kids at the wedding, any infants (especially those who are breastfeeding) are the exception to the rule, so that won't necessarily help the issue.  Also, a mom who won't take said screaming kid out the door probably won't do it regardless of where she's sitting. So, all you are likely to do is offend the crap out of people and make a whole extra headache for yourself and your venue staff in the process.  Seriously, there were 3 babies at my wedding and not one of them cried once.  <strong>My youngest niece did get really excited during one of the solos and decided to "sing" along, but it didn't ruin the ceremony one bit.
    </strong>Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]

That sounds really adorable.  Do you have video of that?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Puppy Love
  • I've never seen assigned seating either.  I would just let people pick where they would like to sit because some babies will not cry or make a sound and some may scream their heads off.  For the screaming ones, it doesn't always mean the mother will move to not interfere.  It all depends on what the mother wants to do or feels like doing.  Some will move to be respectful and others will sit and simply not care.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards