Kentucky

Reception sites in Lexington for a girl on a strict budget

I already posted a long message requesting advice. After lurking on the boards, I have found so much helpful information. This site is awesome. Nonetheless, I thought I would send out a recent post to exhaust my resources.

I am looking for a reception site that would hold 150 people and that would fit in my budget. My wedding budget is 10k, my reception budget is 5k. In order to do this, I figure that food is going to need to be <$20/pp. Depending on the cost of the site, I will then look at DJs and decorations. The site and food are my priority.

Thanks to squirrly, I have looked at numerous caterers that are super friendly and most fit in my budget.

The venues I plan to look at after the holidays include: the Barrel House, the Limestone Club, the Clarion, Tates Creek Ballroom, and the Andover Golf Club & Country Club. If anyone has any insight or experience with these venues, I would greatly appreciate it!

Anyone suggest any other sites that meet my budget and guest list? I am a full time student and my goal is to decide on my venue before the holiday break is over, it is a hefty goal, but feasible....I think!

Re: Reception sites in Lexington for a girl on a strict budget

• squirrlysquirrly member
    Name Dropper First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you still are considering BBQ, I'd call  Good Ole' Days BBQ.  They have a facility in Midway which isn't far from Lexington, and my guess is that it's pretty reasonably priced.  The other caterers you're interested in might have spaces as well, or be able to recommend them. 

I'm afraid the ones you've mentioned will be really pricey, and make it tough to meet your budget. 
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • edited December 2011
    you will not fit in the Limestone club with 150....you'd be lucky to get 100 in there...they will insist otherwise but it's just not possible if you're doing any kind of dinner.  The girl that has taken over his sales has made the price go up quite drastically too.

Here are the ones I looked at...I wanted downtown.

Carrick House - they just got a new person in their sales dept.  Thank God!  The last girl was extremely unhelpfully and quite a b$%^&.  I have a friend that knows them quite well and it sounds like they are hurting for business...you may be able to negotiate.  They are building a new site behind the house...I wasn't interested in having my reception in a new building.  With 150 you would spend $2,500 just to rent the space...I thought that was rediculous.  They charge for every little thing too.

Baker's 360 - this place is GORGEOUS!!! However, strong rumors that it may not be in business in 6 months made me go elsewhere...they also promised me 150 would fit...I'd argue that.  I honestly think we could've done everything for about $5,000....food, drinks, hor d's, tables, chairs, china and flatware

Bodley-Bullock House - adorable quaint historical.  Can have weddings and receptions on site in the courtyard.  A lot of rules.  Make sure you read them ALL before you commit....super nice lady working there...sooo sweet.  We couldn't use it because I have two grandmother's in wheel chairs and that bathroom downstairs would NOT have worked for that.  I think renting the place was $1,000...does not include anything but the space

UK Faculty Club - I would've chosen this place in a heart beat if it weren't quite so far away from my ceremony site.  Might be a bit above your budget but it includes everything but the cake...literally...it is also GORGEOUS and Ginny is one of the sweetest people you'll ever meet.  Their menu looked yumyum too.  You have to be sponsored by a UK person to rent though.  For 150 you could get away with $9,000 and that includes drinks, food, hor d's, china, glassware, flatware, big screen tvs for you movie and an outdoor adorable courtyard.

I ended up picking Arts Place...I danced there as a little girl...they have an art gallery to entertain my guests while we take pictures and then a big auditorium type room for the reception.  I am definitely worried about fitting 150 people in the auditorium...I am spending about $2500 but it's going to a non-profit so I feel a whole lot better about it.  That includes tables, chairs, kitchen and both rooms.  The lady Kathy is super nice southern woman.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    forgot to add one...this may surprise you but Rupp Arena...you can rent the tiny little ballrooms...the Thoroughbred rooms all for about $800.  They don't like to talk about this because they are trying to rent out their big more $ rooms first but if you ask...I don't think they can say no.  Would definitely fit 150 with all 5 rooms together.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Longlegsrulee- you are a tremendous help! Do you think the Bakers  360 is worth checking out? My wedding isn't until 7/2012, so it does make me nervous to hear they might go out of business. I work for UK part-time, but $9000 is way out of my budget for the reception. I definitely want to keep it at $5000 or less. I may also check out the Arts Place- does the $2500 include anything like tables, chairs, linens? Do they allow outside catering? I looked at the website, but it does not show event pics.

I am also going to look at the Barrel House throught Bluegrass Catering. I do not know anyone who has used this venue, so if you are familiar with it, I would love feed back.

Thanks again!
  • edited December 2011
    longlegsrulee - I'm having my reception at ArtsPlace, too!  Kathy is very nice and easy to work with.

LRM - The $2500 should include tables and chairs in the rental price.  It does not include linens.  I'm renting those through my day-of wedding coordinator.  You can have any outside catering you want there, too, which I was super-thrilled about.
    Getting an autograph from UK's March Madness MVP image
  • squirrlysquirrly member
    Name Dropper First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm concerned that your venue preferences might be a bit dressier than the food you can afford to do.  You kind of want the food and formality to match - just something to keep in mind.  You can do BBQ somewhat elegantly, but a ballroom/Artsplace might be a bit much, IMO. 
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • edited December 2011
    Wow - a lot of us at Arts Place.  Mine is also there in June.  Be forewarned though, they charge you by each room (which may have changed given some of your quotes).  We are expecting around 150, and with rental of all the rooms, tobacco netting in the ceiling in the gym, kitchen, personnel, security deposit, and chairs and tables, it's about $3000.  I love the venue, but I feel like they have nickel-and-dimed us a lot.  

As far as caterers, they will let you use whoever.  They do have a kitchen if you have a family friend or something in mind.  We are using South Van events and they have been great to work with.  We are able to do food for about $20/pp, but that doesn't include any drinks.  Also, we are having to rent some additional things (china, bar set ups, etc) to accommodate everything.  Sadly, it adds up quickly!

We've been dealing with Katherine, who is the special events coordinator, and has been helpful with recommendations on decor and tips for the space.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I having my ceremony and reception at the Bodley-Bullock House. You get the venue for 9 hours. I'm having about 50 guests, and the cost is $650. It is more for 150 guests, but not too much more. It's a gorgeous location.
  • amylynn314amylynn314 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Take a look at The Thoroughbred Center. They are on the knot, and that's where I found them. I was looking for a place that could hold 150, as that's my guest count at this point. The "holding room" is very large. They provide some tables and chairs, and you get a lot of the deposits back which can be up to half of the total amount. My total cost was just over $1000. Although I'm going to use an outside caterer, so that's not including food prices.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm having my wedding at Asbury Seminary in Wilmore.  They have a beautiful chapel, do their own catering and are VERY in expensive.  We're going to have about 150 and it's only $3000 for the entire venue and catering.  It's a beautiful location just 10 minutes outside of Lexington and the people are great and very helpful!
    www.weddingsatasbury.com
  • MattoxMillerMattoxMiller member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I know this is a bit late! But, I spoke with Bakers 360 and the bridal show.  We aren't looking at it because it's a bit pricey. Their pricing begins at $60 per person and this is for a buffet or hors d'oeuvres and open bar. Also a 150 minimum...so you're looking at $9,000 plus tax and 15% gratuity tacked on minimum.

If you're willing to look a little outside of Lexington we looking at Buffalo Trace in Frankfort ($1,000-and you can pick you'r own caterer). It had character, just a bit far for us.

Spring Valley Golf Course is nice and only $1,000 to rent. You have to do catering through them which starts around $20 pp. If you don't do alcohol or just do hors d'oeurvres you might be able to keep it under $5,000. They charge per server instead of including it in the service fee so that adds a couple hundred dollars.

Those are the only ones we have seen in person so far. Hopefully you had a chance to go to one of the bridal shows over the last few weekeneds, if not I'd check out their websites and check out each of the venues that were there for different options!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards