North Carolina

Stupid Email!!!

I don't need this kind of stress!!! Okay, so I booked musicians for our wedding back in March. I also sent a song list asking if my choices were possible. All indications were a go. Well, I just got this dandy of an email. Now, I realize, there is still the potential I will get all of my songs, but why wait so stinking long to check with your musical partner???? Not cool.

Oh, another tidbit from the day. My FI and Rob #2 (All three GM for our wedding are named Rob) ordered suits from Men's Wearhouse. It was a buy one get the second for $100. The guys split the bill. The suits had to be altered. We get the call the suit comes in...oh, this must have been around April. FI goes to pick up his suit a few weeks later. I stressed how important it was he tried on the suit in the store. Of course he didn't.

Rob #2 tells me a few weeks ago he got around to picking up his suit. He told me that when he tried it on, in the store, they took the pants in too far. I was like "Wow. Good thing you caught that. FI has yet to try his on. I'll make sure he does that soon."

Flash forward to this morning (at least 3 weeks after Rob#2 got his suit). We have time before church so I tell FI to try on his suit. He does...and the pants are too short and the legs are huge. I'm not happy. I think they screwed up his alterations as well.

NOPE. THE SUITS GOT MIXED. I think my guy is great 99% of the time, but for this I want to smack him upside the head. I think MW is going to work with us on the mix-up. The assistant manager was helping us when we were at the store at 11:01 am.

Wow. This all got long.

Okay, here is the email....

Hi Shelly,

I sent your original email to Bob (my partner in the Pratie Heads)
back when we first were corresponding, and he didn't say anything
about all those requests, but now as the time grows closer when I sent
him the list again (asking if he knew any of them) he said, "what she
really wants is a cover band that can play anything."

How attached are you to all that list of songs? They aren't really our
kind of thing and while I'm willing to do them if I can find them, I
may have to find another guitarist if your list is writ in stone.
Please let me know asap.

I apologize for this late notice, we tend to operate on a "need to
know" basis and Bob evidently didn't feel he needed to know till now.
If we could cut down the number of requests and do more of the
material we usually do, that would work. Or, as I say, I may have to
find somebody else to do this with.

Let me know,
Jane

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Stupid Email!!!

• ecuchikaecuchika member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    WOW..the first thing that jumps in my mind is WOW..

sorry all those things happened.  I would want to smack FI too.  But that happened with my BM dress for a wedding I was in.  Me and another BM had our dresses mixed up.  We were able to find that out just in the nick of time I was about to take my dress back to the store.
  • edited December 2011
    That's terrible with your band!!

And I'd want to smack my FI upside the head for the thing with the suits too... Though it totally sounds like something he would do... I'll have to keep that in mind!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    April 2011 Siggy Challenge: Hair
  • Beth0882Beth0882 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Is the type of music that the musicians usually play a type you like?  Had you listened to them before hand?  It sucks that the guy said it was obvious you were looking for a cover band who would play anything, when the other guy gave you the impression that they basically were!  I guess its too late to find another band?  Also, did you pick this duo/group specifically so that if Jane finds another person to play with, it will sound completely different? 

That stinks...sorry to hear about the band and the suits!
  • edited December 2011
    Wow, that really sucks about your band. What type of music do they typically play? Would you be okay with just having that at your reception? For sure they know it will be fairly difficult for you to find another band or even a DJ this late in the game. :o( Hopefully she can find someone else so they can deliver on what you'd like, if not, I hope they give you a full refund if you have to find someone else, because they should have told you this awhile ago.

My FI does stuff like that too, and I'll never understand it. It must be a men thing. Glad to hear that MW is working to correct it for you though.
    Photobucket
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    The live music is for the ceremony. When I originally sent Jane (violinist) my list of music, I asked if any of my songs would be an issue. I included links to mp3's so she could listen to the songs. The only response I got back was how she loved the song True Colors and instantly searched out the sheet music so she could start learning the song.

Apparently, the songs seemed fine to her b/c they were all listed in the contract I signed and returned to her. Currently, I"m struggling to find my copy of the contract. I must have it at home with my stacks of wedding stuff.

Oh, this is the email she sent me on 4/16

Hi Shelly,
     We're free for your date. I know quite a few of these songs already.
    You can see some of our other music on the http://weddingmusicinnc.com
    site. Let me know if you'd like to sign a contract or if you have
    further questions!
     Thanks
     Jane

I'm going to draft a response to her email and ask which of the songs are acceptable for the guitarist. I hope to keep a majority of the music. I will also search out songs on the link she included in the email response from 4/16.

• CJ4578CJ4578 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Shelly, that just sucks! I am so sorry you have to go through that (I can see from the tone of the email that this Jane person is pretty pissed at her guitarist too, however it's bad business to not confirm everyone in the group can play something before contracting with you to do it, so she's still totally at fault.)

Also, I'm sorry but aren't most violinist/guitarist duos "cover bands" by definition if they play weddings? I mean, sure you can compose new stuff, but for a wedding you would sorta expect that at least a couple people want Canon in D or something. Gah!

Good for you for getting them listed in the contract though, she can't say that wasn't part of the deal or something. Argh.

Hope it works out, let us know if you need some recommendations for new music! FI knows a really great brass quintet that we're using for our wedding, and they're learning whatever we want. (Or really what FI wants since he's the music buff.)
    -- C
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• pirategal03pirategal03 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The Pratie Heads seem like a pretty specialized music group.  Are the songs you've requested traditional music from the British Isles or Early American music? I think if what you've requested would fit into those categories, then your requests are reasonable and if they have to find someone else, then they have to find someone else.  If you're asking them to play the YMCA for your reception, you're a bit out of line. 

Either way, sounds like a frustrating situation for all involved. 
  • edited December 2011
    Okay, music update. Just got a response back from Jane. She is switching guitarist. All of my music is now okay. I even get Good Day Sunshine as our recessional music. Crisis averted.

Oh, on a wedding task note. I got FI to help me with some of the favors and OOT bags while we watched Nascar on Sunday. I folded the boxes and added the shredded tissue paper. He put in the slip of paper with the planting instructions (for the tulip bulbs) and closed the boxes. I figure getting this task done early will make it super simple to just add the bulbs and favor tags in late August.

We also added the welcome note to the outside of the OOT bags. Just punched a hole and attached them with raffia ribbon.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards