Wedding Etiquette Forum

Welcome Booklet for Out of Town Guests

Hi ladies and gentlemen:

I am writing about the welcome packet/bag.  We're having about 100-120 guests maximum, and so I am initally planning 25 out of town welcome bags.  I have already determined what we'll include (snacks, toiletries, regional specialty gift, postcards, bottled water, etc.)

I have put together a 12 page booklet (8 1/2 x 11 inch pages), which would also include brochures from the Baltimore Tourism Bureau, take-out/delivery menus, postcards, and a few other smaller non-8 1/2x11 inch pages. 

I am writing to ask if anyone knows of an office product for a small booklet like that - a folder or binder with an insert page on the front for the welcome letter, and with insert pockets in the front and back, so that everything is collated and organized not just stapled or binder clipped.

Ideally this item would be in white, yellow, or blue - our wedding colors. 

If you could send links with prices and vendors who offer this via an online purchase, that would be ideal. 

I'd also be interested in seeing what other folks have created and/or used for wedding guide booklets.

THANKS!!!!

Ella

Re: Welcome Booklet for Out of Town Guests

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_welcome-booklet-for-out-of-town-guests?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:a6a2e429-d649-4a1d-951e-67661bbe8ec7Post:7c274360-496c-4fc0-9a24-f452b1901a54">Welcome Booklet for Out of Town Guests</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi ladies and gentlemen: I am writing about the welcome packet/bag.  We're having about 100-120 guests maximum, and so I am initally planning 25 out of town welcome bags.  I have already determined what we'll include (snacks, toiletries, regional specialty gift, postcards, bottled water, etc.) I have put together a 12 page booklet (8 1/2 x 11 inch pages), which would also include brochures from the Baltimore Tourism Bureau, take-out/delivery menus, postcards, and a few other smaller non-8 1/2x11 inch pages.  I am writing to ask if anyone knows of an office product for a small booklet like that - a folder or binder with an insert page on the front for the welcome letter, and with insert pockets in the front and back, so that everything is collated and organized not just stapled or binder clipped. Ideally this item would be in white, yellow, or blue - our wedding colors.  If you could send links with prices and vendors who offer this via an online purchase, that would be ideal.  I'd also be interested in seeing what other folks have created and/or used for wedding guide booklets. THANKS!!!! Ella
    Posted by Ella and Pedro[/QUOTE]

I have never heard of making such an elaborate booklet for the welcome back.  Have you thought of maybe just paper clipping the pages together and saving that money for some other aspect of the wedding?  People who get the booklets will only use them for a day or two, if at all. . . . then what?  I imagine they will be thrown away.
  • That sounds really over the top. I agree you might use the money better elsewhere. For our "guide booklet," we posted some info about local attractions on our wedding website. If I were travelling to a wedding, I would probably already have looked up things like that online before arriving and needing you to provide me with such a thing. I'm not knocking it if you want to do it, but I just think it's overkill. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • No offense, but I think this sounds like a big waste of energy. What would your guests do with take out menus at a hotel? I would assume your guests might want to get out and explore the city while they are in town. And really, when was the last time you sent a post card.

Save yourself the time and money. Your welcome bags sound like more than enough.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • You probably ought to make a trip to an office supply store... By your description, I keep imagining all those cheap portfolios I used turning in projects back in grade school.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Oh phew - I thought I was being mean when I felt the same way as the other posters.  This is really too much.  People are in town for you wedding.  If they are the type to site-see, then they will have looked into what to do before heading to Baltimore.
  • This is over the top. And have you heard of google?
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • This sounds like a job for Staples or Office Max. I know you'd rather a fancier binding, what about using actual binders in your wedding colors? It's probably cheaper and easier than using a random online source. You can get those transparant protective sleeves to slip the papers into.
  • This is way over the top. Just put the pamphlets in the bag. 
  • I agree that this is not needed, but just for the sake of offering a suggestion, I have had great booklets made at Fedex Kinko's.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Check with staples or office max. They may have products just what you're looking for or their copy department may be able to make it for you. I found the paper that I used to make my menu cards there and the staff there was extremely helpful with it.They even offered to print the menu cards & cut them down to size for me.

It may be a lot of extra work & some extra expense, but if it's something you want to do, don't let others stop you from doing it. It will be a nice thing for your OOT guests to get when they arrive. It shows that you thought of their comfort and enjoyment even though it's your big day.
  • Thank you for the comments, ladies. 

I should clarify that most guests are coming from afar and don't know the city, and many are coming for 3-4 days, so they will do more than the wedding.  Further, we're not offering activities beyond those from 4-12 midnight on Saturday, excluding those who are rehearsing and having the rehearsal meal - which will be a half-day.  So, there definitely will be people who do tourist things.  In fact, because we are *not* providing a bunch of organized activities, it seems only courtesy that we *do* provide resources to help people plan their own experience/s. In that vein - the brochures I have are not comprehensive, i.e. they don't discuss much beyond the top 3-4 attractions, and even then, don't really describe them - for example, the aquarium brochure does not include pricing for entry. If I was traveling with a toddler (diaper bag, stroller, squirmy kid) and I got all the way there only to then realize it was out of my budget, I'd be annoyed.  So ---  I certainly *have* heard of google- the internet is how I was able to create such a resource. 

Many people in our two families will not travel wtih laptops and do not feel comfortable online - including my father, my fiance's elderly aunt, and my godmother - none of whom are computer savvy.  Therefore, although I suppose I could pick and choose who gets a printed booklet, it seems logical that we should have one. Maybe some families are full of computer-literate and google-navigating folks, but I am betting that there are always a few wedding guests who feel left out of the loop.

As to the postcards, you may not send them, but I do. In fact, one of them we're addressing to us, and asking folks to send to us with their thoughts (it's going to be our 'guest book.')

I guess I hoped someone had found a specific product - but yes, I know to check office supply stores.  And yes, I know if budget does not permit, I can definitely use just basic folders, paperclips, binder clips, and/or staples. What I was going for was a more elegant and streamlined presentation.

Have a great day!

Ella
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards