Honeymoon Discussions

Best way to handle money? (Mexico)

We're going to Riviera Maya in September and I'm wondering how we should handle our money. Should we bring our debit/credit cards (we don't actually have credit cards, they are the banks cards). Or leave those at home? Or in the safe in the hotel? Should we use traveler's checks? Cash? Get a pre paid credit card? I'm not sure which option(s) are best.

Re: Best way to handle money? (Mexico)

• We usually take cash, and than have 1 debit card and 1 credit card with us for emergencies, I usually lock these away.
    image 220 Are ready to party!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I've been told that Mexico has a law that you cannot use USD for any transation over $100, so we plan to bring one credit card down to book our excursions. Otherwise we will have some cash on hand for small things.
  • MNVegasMNVegas member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    We usually stay at AIs so need minimal amout of cash. We bring cash for tips, small purchase/incidentals and bring a credit card should we want to make a larger purchase.

The law the PP mentioned re: US dollars went into effect in  September 2010:

1. Hotels and Exchange Booths will only be able to change a maximum of $1,500 USD CASH per person per month into Mexican Pesos. Previously there was no limit.
    2. Businesses will only be able to accept a maximum of $100 USD CASH per transaction – but the number of transactions per customer is not restricted.
    3. Certain businesses may not be able to, or may choose not to accept American Dollars CASH for any purchase at all (this may include shops etc)

If a customer wants to purchase an excursion (for example) that costs $139 US dollars per person, he/she will only be able to pay $100 USD of this amount in USD CASH and the remainder will need to be in another form of payment (credit card, Mexican Pesos cash, etc).

• You get the best exchange rate when you use a credit card.  The merchant will change your credit card in local currency and then your credit card company gives the best available exchange rate.
  • Highly highly highly recommend getting a credit card and not a debit card. Debit cards offer very little protection against fraud. I never use a debit card when I travel, and I especially wouldnt when I left the country.
  • We brought $500 in pesos for tips and convenience and about $100 in US cash.  That went a long way actually.

Staying at the AI we didn't need anything more than that other than using a credit card to book the excursion we went on.

I just exchanged for pesos at my bank the week before we left.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards