Wedding Etiquette Forum

Invitation proof

Does anyone mind taking a look at this for me? I've been sick all week and when I got it this morning, all I really "see" is that it says everything that I said it should say, the way I said it should say it. Buddy is useless, he just said "I think it looks nice!"

I'm linking to it because it's hard to read small.

http://temerity-jane.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/KELLY-AND-PHILLIP-edit.jpg

What I know:
1. My parents' names - my mom told me to go with what I wanted, then said go with what sounds best, then indicated a definite preference for it to be the way it is instead of Mr. and Mrs. Blah Blah Blah. She thinks it sounds more "them" to do it that way. I thought when she saw it, she might change her mind, but she didn't say anything. She's okay with it if I change it, though - what do you think?
2. The big "O" - the designer and I had talked in original conversations about replacing that with our first intials, or our first names and wedding date on the belly band like she has in some of her other styles, but I think she forgot. I will correct that. So try to ignore the Big O.

It's in charcoal ink with black envelopes.

Any critical thoughts on wording, etc, are welcome. Especially on the Important Information card - does it cover what you'd want to know?

Thaaaaanks.
On bed rest since Groundhog's Day and every day since has been exactly the same.
BabyFruit Ticker
Blog

Re: Invitation proof

• It's pretty, TJ. 

I don't think you need "day" after twenty-third [day] of October
    and I don't think you need at [at] four o'clock on the afternoon

but neither is a big deal IMHO

maybe change "further" to "other" information on the Important Information card?

I like your style.
  • i LOVE on your rsvp:  I promise do dance if you play this song!  That is so creative!

The only comment I have is to make sure the invitation has your FI's last name on it, since it doesn't mention his parents.
  • I really like them!

My only critiques:

1.  I don't like "gracefully" and "regretfully" on the RSVP cards.  It bothers me, because sometimes, I am crankily accepting or happily declining.  I don't like imputing emotions to people, but that's just me being paranoid. 

2.  Despite being technically wrong in most places, it's supposed to be two thousand AND ten on wedding invites.  I don't have black letter law on this, but check out all the invites on sites like Wedding Paper Divas, and The Knot says so too.  (Yes, I know they're wrong sometimes.)
    two years!
    after two losses, now happily expecting baby #1 09.16.12
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Brie Fit Blog | BFP Chart
  • Tj, those are really really pretty.  The only part I find a bit confusing is the "light refreshments will be served immediately after the ceremony" and then "cocktail hour begins at 5".  Does that mean that the light refreshments are served during the cocktail hour, or are there going to be refreshments and then the cocktail hour (which doesn't seem right, given that the ceremony is at 4)?  Otherwise, though, very very nice. 
  • I think it looks awesome, and I like that the parents' first names are used, instead of Mr. and Mrs. And I love your response card with the song request. I have zero criticisms.
    Whatever you hatters be hattin. -Tay Prince
  • I like the RSVP card, too!  Those are pretty.

But, whoTF is Phillip?  ;)
  • Andrea _Lea - I just went with what she had on all of her other stock invites, but you're right - it might be better that way.

parker - Under the black blocks next to Kelly & Phillip are our last names - we don't have middle names on the invites at all - so his last name is there.

Brie - Another option she had was "See you there!" and "Can't make it." Do you think that would be better? It seemed a little informal at the time, but I agree with your point totally.

ohwhynot - Cocktail hour starts at 5. We figure the ceremony will end by 4:30, and there will be some non-alcoholic beverages (soda, water, tea, cider, etc) served along with some display apps - veggies, fresh fruit, cheeses, etc. At 5, the bar opens and butlered hot apps start. The wording IS confusing, I'm not sure how else to concisely put it, though.

laurenclaire - well thaaaank you!

Thanks everyone!
    On bed rest since Groundhog's Day and every day since has been exactly the same.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Blog
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_invitation-proof?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:20b775f2-1bf2-4896-99bc-543e86b4945dPost:7fab9551-2b72-4269-97b1-f0c3a499183f">Re: Invitation proof</a>:
    [QUOTE] But, whoTF is Phillip?  ;)
    Posted by kikibaby[/QUOTE]

I know, right? It looks weird to me, too.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Blog
  • I like "see you there" and "can't make it" better.  Your invitations have a little bit of the cute whimsical thing going on, and I think it fits nicely with that, especially given the song request on the RSVP card.

Or you could just do "accepts" and "declines," but I like the other stuff better.
    two years!
    after two losses, now happily expecting baby #1 09.16.12
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Brie Fit Blog | BFP Chart
  • I think they're cool TJ.  I totally agree with you about the big O, definitely get rid of that.

Also, I don't think you need "day" in the date line.  I think it should just be "Saturday, the twenty-third of October".

It seems to me that the part about refreshments after the ceremony and cocktail hour starting at 5 should be on the same card that has the "dinner, drinks, and dancing to follow" information. 

Finally, what's the deal with the card that just has your name and address on it?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • dani - That's the RSVP envelope. She labels them.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Blog
  • Very pretty!  I ditto OWN's comment - I have to look at the reception card and the info card a couple of times to get that there would be "light refreshments" first and THEN dinner.  Kinda threw me off. 

Maybe just don't mention the light refreshments?  Personally, I'll already be there and wouldn't need to be told that I'll be getting food somewhere I'll already be at.  I'd rather just know "ceremony, cocktails, dinner and dancing."
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_invitation-proof?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:20b775f2-1bf2-4896-99bc-543e86b4945dPost:528e2cf9-5714-4e2b-9123-1bbcb0897b80">Re: Invitation proof</a>:
    [QUOTE]dani - That's the RSVP envelope. She labels them.
    Posted by temerityjane[/QUOTE]

Ohhhhh, okay I see that/get it now.
  • dani - I also agree about the light refreshments being on the reception card, but I REALLY like the way the reception card looks exactly as is - it's what drew me to the suite in the first place. I was really stumped on where and how to put that information. As it stands, the reception card initially said "IMMEDITATELY following the ceremony, etc etc etc," and I took out "immediately" to account for the 30 minutes.

I COULD leave it off all together, and maybe put it in the wedding program, OR, since the refreshments will be served RIGHT NEXT to the ceremony room, can't miss it as you exit, maybe just have someone direct people down to that area?
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Blog
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_invitation-proof?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:20b775f2-1bf2-4896-99bc-543e86b4945dPost:c6ee1014-3973-4fb0-8cc1-768ec1eb0dfa">Re: Invitation proof</a>:
    [QUOTE]I COULD leave it off all together, and maybe put it in the wedding program, OR, since the refreshments will be served RIGHT NEXT to the ceremony room, can't miss it as you exit, maybe just have someone direct people down to that area?

That's  probably what I would do.  If it's all back to back, no getting the car and driving somewhere to be there at a certain time, etc then I don't think you even need to specify all that on the invitation.

For example, we had a cocktail hour then the reception but on our invitation it just said reception immediately following or something like that.  People were led from the ceremony right into the cocktail hour room.  It just wasn't necessary in my opinion to specify that cocktail hour was first since they were getting food and drinks anyway.
  • Okay, that makes more sense to me.  I think, though, that I wouldn't even mention the light refreshments - it's all going to kind of flow together in the "cocktails, dinner, and dancing" portion of the evening, imo.  When people see the refreshments out, they'll start eating & drinking and it'll only be another 30 minutes before the bar opens and the passed apps start - it'll seem like one event, not two separate ones, I think. 
  • I really like the dinner, dancing to follow card, too.  But, what I am confused about is on the "important information" your first line about light refreshments before cocktail hour.  Why can't cocktail hour start immediately after the ceremony?  Is it in a different location?

I would think the important information card is best for information regarding your rehearsal dinner, hotel rooms, and brunch, if you are doing any of those things.  Telling people that there will be refreshments at your wedding is redundant
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_invitation-proof?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:20b775f2-1bf2-4896-99bc-543e86b4945dPost:ca2bbc34-b932-4961-ba07-cf98f7baff4e">Re: Invitation proof</a>:
    [QUOTE] When people see the refreshments out, they'll start eating & drinking and it'll only be another 30 minutes before the bar opens and the passed apps start -<strong> it'll seem like one event, not two separate ones, </strong>I think. 
    Posted by ohwhynot[/QUOTE]

Yes, I agree!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_invitation-proof?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:20b775f2-1bf2-4896-99bc-543e86b4945dPost:ca2bbc34-b932-4961-ba07-cf98f7baff4e">Re: Invitation proof</a>:
    [QUOTE]Okay, that makes more sense to me.  I think, though, that I wouldn't even mention the light refreshments - it's all going to kind of flow together in the "cocktails, dinner, and dancing" portion of the evening, imo.  When people see the refreshments out, they'll start eating & drinking and it'll only be another 30 minutes before the bar opens and the passed apps start - it'll seem like one event, not two separate ones, I think. 
    Posted by ohwhynot[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that.  Said much better than I did.  :o)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_invitation-proof?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:20b775f2-1bf2-4896-99bc-543e86b4945dPost:6ee004ed-70a9-45d0-924c-a9952ec1b63c">Re: Invitation proof</a>:
    [QUOTE]I really like the dinner, dancing to follow card, too.  But, what I am confused about is on the "important information" your first line about light refreshments before cocktail hour.  Why can't cocktail hour start immediately after the ceremony?  Is it in a different location? I would think the important information card is best for information regarding your rehearsal dinner, hotel rooms, and brunch, if you are doing any of those things.  Telling people that there will be refreshments at your wedding is redundant
    Posted by parker624[/QUOTE]

Cocktail hour is not starting immediately after the ceremony for several reasons, and it's already set in stone and we're happy with it the way it is. There will be refreshments BEFORE cocktail hour as well, which is why I put it there. I don't think it's redundant to say there will be refreshments provided before the reception starts.

Also, rehersal dinner, brunch, etc are all not public information, so won't be going on the wedding invitation.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Blog
  • The whole suite is really pretty! I do think you've made this unnecessarily complicated though -- I'd take out that whole first paragraph on the Important Info card. They already know all they need to know from the reception card -- dinner, drinks, and dancing are following the ceremony. They don't need to know the details and it's confusing. There will be someone at the site directing people where to go and if you want, you can ask your officiant to ask the guests to proceed to the adjacent room for light refreshements before the cocktail hour begins in half an hour.
  • You've gotten great suggestions and I suck at critiqueing so I'm just going to say they look really awesome!
    (Married)meganandshane.weebly.com~
    (Planning)shaneandmegan.weebly.com
  • Oh and FWIW, if you're going with first names (which I like), standard etiquette is to have your m om's name first.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_invitation-proof?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:20b775f2-1bf2-4896-99bc-543e86b4945dPost:13fd13c8-0101-4ae4-b336-3a0960e5e288">Re: Invitation proof</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Invitation proof : Cocktail hour is not starting immediately after the ceremony for several reasons, and it's already set in stone and we're happy with it the way it is. There will be refreshments BEFORE cocktail hour as well, which is why I put it there. I don't think it's redundant to say there will be refreshments provided before the reception starts. Also, rehersal dinner, brunch, etc are all not public information, so won't be going on the wedding invitation.

That all makes sense, I was just wondering.  I think that everyone here's said it best.

If you want a different idea for the Important Information card, we put the RD, Accommodations, and Brunch information on that card and only sent it to our OOT guests.  It sounds like that's not how you're doing your RD and brunch, so not sure that will work for you, but just throwing it out there.
  • Are the light refreshments in one place and the cocktail hour is elsewhere?  If they're at the same general location (even different rooms is ok), I don't think you need to specify for the guests when the type of food/alcohol starts.  Dropping the paragraph on the Info insert should be fine - the reception does start immediately following the ceremony, it seems.  It just has various parts. 

If you're not doing Mr. and Mrs., your mother's name comes first. 
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • those are really pretty i like them a lot!! I agree the cocktal thing is a bit confusing
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited July 2010
    I know how you're structuring the refreshments and cocktail hour, but I agree that perhaps you could just put something about it on the program (if applicable), rather than the invitation itself. That way people will still get the info (and not think the light refreshments and hot drinks are the "cocktail hour") but it won't clutter up your invitation or look confusing.

Is the reception in a different location? It looks like it might be the same. In which case you wouldn't even need that reception card. But it's pretty and makes it seem fancy. :-)

I'm not a fan of the O, for multiple reasons - but first initials would be cool, or even some other kind of flourish.

Like Brie, I also prefer "accepts" or "declines." Should they be plural? I guess it doesn't matter, since it would be the wrong tense for multiple guests, but the right tense for single guests, and then vice versa.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • i dont want to comment on content but i want to say they are absolutely gorgeous and now i have invitation envy in the nicest possible way!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards