Attire & Accessories Forum

Updo vs Down

This is most likely a topic that has been beaten to DEATH, however, I'd like any personal opinions that could be given concerning the epic Up vs Down battle. TIA!
Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers

Re: Updo vs Down

• There is no right or wrong answer.  It depends on each bride and how they are comfortable.  I had no doubt in my mind that I wanted an updo because I didn't want to worry about my hair or it be in my face all night. 
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • It all depends on what YOU want and what looks best with your hair and headpiece. Like dnbeach said, I knew I wanted an updo so I didn't have to fool with hair in my face and being on the nape of my neck all day/night. I had initially considered half up and half down and even had one of my hair trials do just that, but quickly decided against it.

I would decide on the headpiece/veil you are wearing and then go from there. Take the headpiece/veil to your hair trials so your hairdresser can see it and work with it.
  • There's really no right or wrong and it depends on your personal style and your hair. I chose an updo (with veil) because my hair can't hold curl for the whole day and would have looked limp by the reception had I left it down.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • My FI hates it when I have my hair up (my face looks a lot rounder, but it's a lot easier to maintain when it's up). So for the wedding, I'm going to have it down, but pinned back so it stays out of my face. I'm iffy about the veil right now. The ones I've tried on weren't very appealing to me, but it could be different when I have my hair-trails in a couple months, so I'm just waiting it out for now.

I dont think there's anything wrong with having it up or down, like the ladies have said, it's about personal preference. Having hair trials for both an up-do and a down-do might help tho if you're not sure which style would work best for you.

Take pictures and show your BMs and see what they think. But remember, it's your day, so your opinion is the only one that counts in the end!!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think it also depends heavily on the dress.  I tried on one dress that had the keyhole back and I think it would defeat the purpose of that feature if I wore my hair down (I have long hair, so it would cover my back).  On another dress I tried on, I thought it looked even better with my hair down.  Then it really depends on what you like, what looks good on you, and what you are comfortable with.
    Anniversary
  • I can't vote because it depends entirely on the bride.  What's the bride's preference, what does her dress look like, what looks better with her face?  Etc., etc.  FI has requested I wear an updo and I don't won't to worry about my hair being in my face and it will work nicely with my dress so that's probably what I'll do.
    Planning Our Wedding - Updated 04/11/11
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    "If you can't think of something nice to say, don't say something nice" - Stephen Colbert
  • I prefer an updo on myself.  My hair is long, thick and curly and I will be on the dance floor all night long so I don't feel like having hair sticking to my face.  Having my hair down would be a downer! (no pun  intended!)
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Down for me, as my hair is super fine and slippery, so it never stays up well.  Front part up, veil under that, but over most of my hair.  Front will probably come down early on in the reception as that's how DF likes my hair.  It's always in my face, so I'm used to it.  Got very curly hair, so to style it "nicely" is way too much work, so going to have fun.
  • I can't vote on this without seeing your dress, your veil, you, and your possibly hairstyles.  I personally will be wearing my hair 1/2 loosely pulled back, 1/2 down.  
    Anniversary
  • It's your personal choice. I at first I had no doubt in my mind that I wanted a half up/half down do until I came across the photo in my siggy. Something about it just sparked something in me. Everyone that I have shown it to love it as well and it goes with the style of my dress. So whatever you feel you like best is what you should go with.

Maya
    (ISSR Shiloh Shepherd)
    wedding websites
  • Depends on the dress. If you have a dress with giant poofy sleeves, you may want to wear your hair up so that there is not too much going on in that area. On the flip side, if your dress is strapless, wearing your hair down would probably look lovely (unless you have details on the back that you don't want to cover up.)

This is the advice that helped me decide to wear my hair up because I'm wearing a fur bollero.
    Photobucket BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards