Attire & Accessories Forum

Tungsten Carbide Ring

Hi All,
My fiance wants a tungsten carbide wedding band.  I've heard amazing things about their durability, but the woman we spoke to at a jewelery store said they can break.  I wanted to see if anyone here has any good or bad experience with them or can offer any advice.

Thanks!
Stephanie
Stephanie and Bobby
September 4th, 2011
Planning Bio
RSVP Date July 15th
image 325 Made the cut!
image 80 Are ready to hora! image 62 Are missing out! image 183 Are making me crazy!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Tungsten Carbide Ring

• It would take a huge amount of force to break a tungsten carbide ring. People actually worry more often about being able to cut them off in the event of an emergency, because they are so strong. I would guess your jeweler was trying to sell you something more expensive.
  • edited November 2010
    I have heard the same things as opalsky. H considered them, but he decided to go with just a regular 14kt white gold band.
  • My guess is the same as opalsky....she probably wants the sale on gold on platinum. FI got a tungsten ring. We both love it, PIB.
  • I think PP is right, she was trying to sell you something more expensive. I got my FI a ring from this site for $40 which is the cheapest site I found and they have a return policy.

http://www.mensjewelryclub.com/tungstenrings.html
    20130105_202820-1_zps07580b43 Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • I'm getting a tungsten ring, $150 with a carbon fiber insert, love it.  Wish FI's ring was $150 LOL

Married in Vegas - June 2011

• MY FFIL welds and he uses Tungsten to weld with....it is super strong and durable. I agree with PP that the sales person was just trying to upsell you.

My new bff Gayle Forman!

?You can have your wishes, your plans, but at the end of the day, it's out of your control" - Gayle Forman
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Married Bio

Lizzie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)?????? image

• I was more concerned about Tungsten being unbreakable in the event of an emergency.  We opted for 14k white gold.  It was more beautiful anyway. 
    July 16, Our Wedding Day, is also International Juggling Day!
  • I figured the "can't be cut" thing was a myth, but I also discovered that tungsten rings can't be resized... titanium might also be in that category.  
    July 16, Our Wedding Day, is also International Juggling Day!
  • It's not that they can't be cut, but they have to be broken off, which is what we were told.  They put enough pressure on them and the ring just shatters, but you aren't able to put it back together.  H was going to look past that and figured he didn't care, until I broke my wrist with my e-ring on and barely got it off within a few minutes of it happening.  He decided then that he wanted one that he could cut off and repair.

But truthfully, if you weigh the cost of a tunsten ring, with the amount of times it would probably need to be cut off (once, probably, maybe twice ever), you're looking at it still being cheaper than a gold ring most likely.  I would just say get what your FI likes. 

imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • In addition to everything PPs have said - if you get your ring from Tungsten World, they will replace it if it ever needs to be cut off for a medical reason, and they offer lifetime sizing.  You can't resize a tungsten ring, but they will make you a new one in the size you need for free within 45 days, and there's a $50 deductible for replacements after that.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Just got my FI a Tungsten RIng. I decided to get him one because they a durable and very affordable. We got it on sale at a price lower than 100 dollars. A steal for the style and metal that he wanted. 
    Cooking my way to happiness!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards