Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Cake flavor

Trying to decide on a good flavor for a winter wedding cake. Most fruit fillings seem too summery for me.  Which of these alternatives would go over best?

Re: Cake flavor

• McKenna2012McKenna2012 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I voted for the cap/caramel, but they all sound delicious!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Photobucket
  • topchef33topchef33 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    cappucino w/caramel gets my vote!

Anniversary [center]My Chart[/center] Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • mandi921vhmandi921vh member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    To me cake is cake it doesn't have a specific season attached to it. They all sound delicious. 
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited December 2011
    While I think fresh fruit (like strawberries) does have specific season attached to it, all of your choices are pretty generic. If you still want fruit in winter, do something citrusy, like orange and chocolate or meyer lemon mousse or passionfruit.
  • edited December 2011
    Yeah, my baker doesn't offer all of those flavors  :)  Here's the list, if people think I'm being too generic, let me know what might be better.  I just want the flavor of the cake to appeal to everyone, because I know some of the people don't like coconut, nuts, red velvet, or carrot cake...

Cake flavors: White, Chocolate, Yellow, Almond, Butter Pecan, Coconut, Lemon, Orange Zest, Cappucino, Pumpkin, Carrot, Red Velvet, Moose Tracks, Banana Nut, Butter Rum, Strawberry Swirl, Margarita, Chocolate Chip, White Chocolate Chip

Fillings: Raspberry, Strawberry, Lemon, Blackberry, Blueberry, Bumbleberry, Apricot, Apple, Pinapple, Peach, Cherry, Chocolate Ganache, White Chocolate Ganache, Chocolate Mousse, White Cocolate Mousse, Pastry Cream (custard), Raspberry Sorbet, Strawberry Sorbet, Caramel, Fudge, Banana Cream, Coconut Cream, Nutella (chocolate hazlenut), Vanilla Buttercream, Chocolate Buttercream, Cream Cheese, French Vanilla, French Chocolate
  • edited December 2011
    I don't see anything wrong with having fruity fillings in a cake at a winter wedding.

I'm not sure I would go with something like cappuccino.  I know I'm in the minority, but I hate coffee, so I would not be excited about a cake that tasted like coffee.

How many layers are you having?  Could you choose several different cake/flavor combinations?  It sounds like you have a ton of choices.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_cake-flavor-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:97ce3c3f-4fdd-4705-9b00-f2fcbd16221bPost:0ace91a2-fd63-404e-8e3d-40499e925e8a">Re: Cake flavor</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yeah, my baker doesn't offer all of those flavors  :)  Here's the list, if people think I'm being too generic, let me know what might be better.  I just want the flavor of the cake to appeal to everyone, because <strong>I know some of the people don't like coconut, nuts, red velvet, or carrot cake</strong>... Cake flavors: White, Chocolate, Yellow, Almond, Butter Pecan, Coconut, Lemon, Orange Zest, Cappucino, Pumpkin, Carrot, Red Velvet, Moose Tracks, Banana Nut, Butter Rum, Strawberry Swirl, Margarita, Chocolate Chip, White Chocolate Chip Fillings: Raspberry, Strawberry, Lemon, Blackberry, Blueberry, Bumbleberry, Apricot, Apple, Pinapple, Peach, Cherry, Chocolate Ganache, White Chocolate Ganache, Chocolate Mousse, White Cocolate Mousse, Pastry Cream (custard), Raspberry Sorbet, Strawberry Sorbet, Caramel, Fudge, Banana Cream, Coconut Cream, Nutella (chocolate hazlenut), Vanilla Buttercream, Chocolate Buttercream, Cream Cheese, French Vanilla, French Chocolate
    Posted by acciarrochi[/QUOTE]

Having a specialty flavor will make it less likely to appeal to everyone.  As PP said, can you have different layers be different flavors to address that issue? 

As for the flavors you've posted, pumpkin is kind of wintery, no?  You could have that with white choclate ganache or cream cheese frosting, and then maybe also have a chocolate layer or a vanilla layer for a little plainer option.  I feel like red velvet has pretty broad appeal, except for people that don't like chocolate (if it's chocolate red velvet).  Even my friend that doesn't like cream cheese frosting will make an exception for red velvet cake, which usually has cream cheese frosting (or at least has when we've gotten it).  I've never met a cake I didn't like, though, and as long as the cake and fillings are high quality, all those options sound good to me. 
  • edited December 2011
    Honestly, you're not going to find a flavour that everyone will like. Period. So, IMHO, there's no point in choosing something just because you hope everyone will like it. Choose something YOU love and the picky eaters can just lump it.

I'd vote for chocolate and orange (a classic combination), or a something lemony.
  • edited December 2011
    All of them sound supper yummy!!! I also think cake is cake, but from the 4 options you're putting out there I would go for white w/chocolate mousse filling :)
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited December 2011
    Can't you do a different flavor for each tier?

We're doing lemon on one tier, red velvet on another, and the biggest tier will be white cake with vanilla buttercream (very plain, but universally liked).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I've considered doing different flavored tiers, but am unsure due to the fact that from what I've heard, people don't pick what flavor they get...
  • Ashes_3Ashes_3 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    They alll sound delicious! I chose the chocolate with vanilla buttercream!
  • edited December 2011
    I think if you pick something unique, like cappuccino, that you should serve at least one other option.  No, you won't be able to please everyone, but picking an obscure flavor and saying "forget you!!" to people who don't like the obscure flavor is absurd.  I don't think you should have to choose something you don't like, but out of the flavor combinations you suggested (which I'm guessing are combos that you liked) the chocolate/vanilla and the white/chocolate mousse will be more universally appealing.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_cake-flavor-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:97ce3c3f-4fdd-4705-9b00-f2fcbd16221bPost:403d1f9f-4643-4b4e-9336-ae87b8e537a6">Re: Cake flavor</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think if you pick something unique, like cappuccino, that you should serve at least one other option.  <strong>No, you won't be able to please everyone, but picking an obscure flavor and saying "forget you!!" to people who don't like the obscure flavor is absurd.</strong>  I don't think you should have to choose something you don't like, but out of the flavor combinations you suggested (which I'm guessing are combos that you liked) the chocolate/vanilla and the white/chocolate mousse will be more universally appealing.
    Posted by frogurt814[/QUOTE]

Exactly.  My cousin had a cheesecake wedding cake because this is what she likes.  There was a ton of uneaten and leftover cake because a lot of her guests didn't want it, or like me, haaaaaaate cheesecake.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • edited December 2011
    They all sound delicious! A wedding coordinator I met with recently shared a great idea from a wedding she worked once. The outside of the cake was fondant w/ decor, but every tier had a different cake/filling flavor. They put a list of all of the cake flavors on the table, and guests could select which flavor they wanted. If you decide to pick just one, they all sound dee-lish. I do agree with PPs that the chocolate options might appeal to more guests.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards