Louisiana-New Orleans

marriage license

I tried to call, but of course no one would answer.  If I am local what do I need to get my license?  Do I need to get one in Orleans parrish if I'm geting married in Orleans?  TIA!

Re: marriage license

• arhatcharhatch member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    http://www.dhh.louisiana.gov/publications.asp?ID=252&Detail=1048

my understanding is that you can get one in any Parish and it's good all over the state.
  • edited December 2011

It was so easy and I had been so worried!!

**  You have to get it at least 72 hours in advance of your wedding.
    **  Go to the Marriage License office at 1010 Commons St downtown.  They are open 8:15-3:15, but suggest you get there no later than 2pm because there may be a wait.
    **  You do not have to BOTH be there, but you need BOTH sets of info- drivers licenses and birth certificates.
    **  Its like $30- they take checks.
    **  You leave with a form that your officiant will sign- and you both will sign at the ceremony.  Dont get this confused with your "decorative" fake marriage license they give you.
    **  The officiant mails it to the state, and then the state mails you your official license.
    **  We got married on 03.13 and got our official license back from the state last Saturday- I went to Social Security to legally change my name and got my new licsense this morning!

• nola*bridenola*bride member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm getting different information about both of us having to be there. Some people are telling me "if you are local you both have to go-if  you are out of towners one can go."  so confused!
  • edited December 2011
    I just got married two weeks ago.  My fiancee and I are both local and only one of us had to go.  Just make sure that one person has all the information from both. 
  • nola*bridenola*bride member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    thanks! i feel better now!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards