New York-Hudson Valley

How to find a photographer?? What to look for?

Hi all!  This board was so helpful with venues... so now I'm coming back.  (Venue is just about set!! Thanks!)  It is now time to look for a photographer, but where do I start??  We have ideas of packages we want, and want to feel comfortable with our photographer... but that's all I know.  Any suggestions on how to start looking for one?  Thanks!

Re: How to find a photographer?? What to look for?

• edited December 2011
    I am using www.christophersstudios.com

I also know www.jewelphoto.com ... she is pretty darn awesome and was our 2nd choice. I feel most comfortable with her but we were trying to save some money so went with Chris.
    Part of That World Blog
    my read shelf:Jennifer (JSweetieXO) Cepero's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • BellaSposa223BellaSposa223 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Honestly, just start asking us for reccs this way you can start comparing packages and prices. What's most important to you? I know, I wanted rights to the pics and I wanted a second shooter. Figure out what you want when you start seeing packages. With that said, I used Jake Bergmeier. www.nodophotography.com

Jaimie
  • GolfChick78GolfChick78 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Once you have your venue and your date is carved in stone, I think the photographer is the next step to ensure they're availability.

There's a billion things to look for.  One thing is to be sure you're working with a professional and not just some guy who has a camera and shoots a few weddings on the side.  You want to be certain they're insured.  And get recommendations from friends.

After all that, cruise some websites.  Even photographers of equal quality have different styles so you want to make sure you have someone who creates the kind of pictures that resonate for you.  Obviously, price is important, but photography is not a place you can skimp, IMO.  At the same time, I've known friends who have paid big money and I didn't think their album was anything special.  As in most things, you want to find that sweet spot in the middle.

We're using Robert Wayne Photography.  Take a look.  If his style works for you, I think he's a real bargain.
  • ssagessage member
    edited December 2011
    I agree with pps...and I would also suggest hitting bridal shows....they will start up again in jan/feb...it is a good way to get a feel for people you are interested in.

Everyone on here will have a recommendation b/c i think we all loved our photogs (for the most part) so I think you need to know what you want and then find the person who you feel will give it to you.

That being said, we used Majestic Studios.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-hudson-valley_photographer-look?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:113Discussion:1c3c665f-f4e1-4120-afb2-448e2be40f2cPost:2b476707-a0a9-4ca1-b750-a5512aaa804d">Re: How to find a photographer?? What to look for?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I agree with pps...and I would also suggest hitting <strong>bridal shows</strong>....they will start up again in jan/feb...it is a good way to get a feel for people you are interested in. Everyone on here will have a <strong>recommendation</strong>b/c i think we all loved our photogs (for the most part) so I think you need to know what you want and then find the person who you feel will give it to you. That being said, we used <strong>Majestic Studios</strong>.
    Posted by ssage[/QUOTE]

Ditto this post! Exactly!

All the girls on here are going to recommend their photographer. And we also used Majestic Studios. They did a great job!

But go to the bridal shows! It is an awesome opportunity to see multiple photographers and meet with DJ's in a no pressure environment!

It was actually going to a few shows to scale down the list of who I liked and wanted FI to meet with. (He was studying for a test)

Immediately after getting engaged I went to a bridal show with my mom. 

There we went to every table. And either wrote the names or folded the corners on the business cards of the people I liked. At the end of the day you are going to have so many flyers and promotional info it's going to keep track of who was who. The second show I did the same as the first. That night, realized there were about 8 people who I liked who were the same at both shows. Joe and I went through only those flyers and narrowed our list down to four. By time I went to the third show with SIL I only need to stop by those four photog tables. Saved a ton of time.

And those were who we analyzed before deciding on Majestic Studios. (Digital Weddings was our second choice.) (Websites are at the bottom)

The shows can be overwhelming and you aren't going to make a decision on the spot. But it's a great way to let it all absorb in. And look at finished samples of the photographers work (and get to know the DJ's personality) at the same time.

Websites are great, but it's not the same. And it's a whole lot easier to only have research 4 or 8 websites than the 20 or so recs you'll get here!

Have fun and good luck!

<a href="http://www.majesticstudios.info/">www.majesticstudios.info</a>

<a href="http://www.digital-weddings.com" rel='nofollow'>http://www.digital-weddings.com</a>

What venue did you decide to go with?
  • edited December 2011
    BlueSky Photography NY. He is amazing!
  • edited December 2011
    Elissa Davidson of EID Photography is amazing.  She doesn't do "packages" but will work with you to get what you are looking for at a more than reasonable price! 
  • ssagessage member
    edited December 2011
    Also, by going to the bridal shows, you can find out if they are booked for your date...there were at least three photographers I wanted to know more about but were booked for my date so I didn't bother. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Definitely make sure that your personalities click and that you love the photographer as a person as well as their work!  It can make all the difference!  Check out Ashley Therese Photography!  http://ashleytheresephotography.com/blog/
  • Woodsy62Woodsy62 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    www.brightbirdphotography.com

Alexa is awesome. So down to earth, creative and talented. 
  • probablykateprobablykate member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    This is how we did the search:

I looked through a few different photography threads on this board and got a list of photographers that were recommended by the other ladies on here.

Then we looked at the photos on each of their websites. 

We narrowed it down based on whether we liked their style of photography, and also began checking on pricing. (Prices were more than I was expecting, but I agree with PPs that I didn't want to skimp on photography.)

Then we met with our favorites to get a sense for their personality.  This is important too because you want to make sure you'll feel comfortable working with them.  We met with one photographer (who is recommended frequently here and takes beautiful photos) and his personality really strongly turned me off.  Maybe we just got him on a bad day, and other people have said they love him, but I went with my gut. 

So (as I think the photographer we chose said), make your choice based on the 3 P's: photos, price, and personality.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards