Favors

Caramel Apples - Opinions or anyone doing them?

Anyone doing these?  I want to do gourmet type ones which white chocolate or crushed candy, or pretzels........but don't want to spend a ton.

Thoughts?

TIA!

Re: Caramel Apples - Opinions or anyone doing them?

• edited December 2011
    I love this idea!  I've seen it a lot in magazines but I do know it's pricy.  You'll probably be paying $4.00/apple.  You could make them yourself they would be cheaper but very time consuming!  You could do it instead of a cake depending what your cake budget is. 
  • HinajHinaj member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It's a defiantely a great idea and something I haven't realy seen done at weddings but the gourmet ones are pretty expensive.  I agree with PP, but making them on your own is a huge task, so be careful with time and the rest of your planning if you have many DIY projects. 
  • Sara191431Sara191431 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah and I also found out from my venue that we cannot bring in outside food, has to be bought from somewhere due to health code.  So making them is out the door now.  Now I just need to find a deal somewhere!  I'll be contacting my local apple orchards, culinary schools etc.  Daffy Apples has decent prices, but I wonder if they are too small, 3 ounces and 2 and a quarter to 2 and a half inches in diameter....thoughts?

We'll see what I can find!
  • HinajHinaj member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Good luck with the search!!
  • FystybrideFystybride member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I just ordered the Daffy Apple sample pack for the gourmet style- so I'll check out the size, that's my issue too...I'm not sure they are big enough.  I may go to Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory, they have giant apples that are the same gourmet style for about 4-5 dollars each.  I only need about twenty, I'm putting one in each hospitality basket in the guest rooms on site.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Fysty - You'll have to let me know how they taste and if they seem to small.  TIA!
  • kelleyku05kelleyku05 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I went to 2 weddings last year with taffy apples, they seemed to be a big hit.  One used Daffy apples and they looked just fine.
  • edited December 2011
    http://thefavorlounge.theaspenshops.com/product/apple-of-my-eye-minicandle-in-gift-box-with.html

Look at the tags on this favor...that would be cute to add to the apples.
  • shatrbug_2001shatrbug_2001 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I went to a wedding that had chocolate covered carmel apples from Rocky Mountain Candy Company. They cost the bride (a good friend) around $3.50 each but they were sooooo good!
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi Shatrbug - Do you know if she got hers on special or something? Cause when I look at their site they are basically double or more depending on the kind.  Especially with any chocolate on them....
  • shatrbug_2001shatrbug_2001 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sara...call the company and ask if they will give a quantity discount...I know that she needed about 300 of them.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the tip, I sent them an email the other day so we'll see what they say, I'll call if no response.  They are a local company for me too so that may help, for sure with no shipping obviously.
  • felkelsfelkels member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    if you are doing cake, then I am sure the small apples will be more than fine...that is a lot of sweet!  I have seen the rocky mountain ones and they are amazing, but even without cake, I don't think I could eat them in one sitting!  They are so big!  Good luck with whatever you decide. 

I did see a show where the bride wanted to do these, and they tried to DIY for budget and the bride was very much of a I get what I want personallity...she didn't like how much time it was taking and that they didn't look professional, and wound up buying them...busting her budget, but it was her wedding and she got what she wanted.  I could not believe it. 

if you are a DIYer...I have seen carmel apple sheets in the grocery store...you just lay them over the top and they drape down or something...I have never used them, but they look simple enough.  Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards