Wedding Etiquette Forum

Does this mean I have to invite her?

I have a family friend at my church who I asked to do hair and makeup for my bridesmaids. She said she would do it free of charge and it would be her wedding gift to me. This also happened with our cakebaker. I CANNOT afford to invite anyone else and I have already cut the guestlist tremendously. Does this mean I have to invite her?

Re: Does this mean I have to invite her?

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_this-mean-invite-her-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:9d0743ed-d632-4f19-805e-02c71ca798cdPost:a70dfdcc-ee28-4a92-8d34-8ac206ab3c79">Does this mean I have to invite her?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have a family friend at my church who I asked to do hair and makeup for my bridesmaids. She said she would do it free of charge and it would be her wedding gift to me. This also happened with our cakebaker. I CANNOT afford to invite anyone else and I have already cut the guestlist tremendously. Does this mean I have to invite her?
    Posted by SoccerChic31[/QUOTE]
    Is your wedding THAT expensive that you cannot afford to pay for an extra person to attend?  I'm willing to bet that your PP price is less than you would end up paying another vendor to do your hair and makeup.  Invite her or pay her.
    Holy Crap. We survived the first year!
    http://tidetravel.weebly.com/index.html
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • That's a good point, pp, I hadn't thought of that.  But, I totally agree, those services would definitely be more expensive than their dinner would cost, even if you're having a super fancy wedding.
  • I agree with Tide. Are a few more people really going to hurt when you are getting their services for free? Do you know how much money you are saving? I think the least you could do would be to invite them to the ceremony and reception.
  • Yeah, I kinda think so.  It's possible she won't attend, of course.  But yes, the most polite thing to do would be to invite her. 

Are you REALLY at the budget limit?  And, I agree with Tide - Our cake was 6x our pp cost for the reception.  Hair & makeup was 5x.  So, inviting these two people saves you 9 people's worth of reception costs, if your costs are similar to mine. 
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_this-mean-invite-her-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:9d0743ed-d632-4f19-805e-02c71ca798cdPost:55caa9f6-8f36-420d-9841-cfbc7da6bc01">Re: Does this mean I have to invite her?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I agree with Tide. Are a few more people really going to hurt when you are getting their services for free? Do you know how much money you are saving? I think the least you could do would be to invite them to the ceremony and reception.
    Posted by MissySue20[/QUOTE]

This.
    Updated 1/17/11 imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Since a MUA for a bride can be $350 and a cake almost double that, I don't see that problem
  • BTW, that means yes

• Yes, you have to invite her. And if she's married, you have to invite her husband too.

I have to agree with PPs that four extra people, (who are being really generous and providing their services to you free of charge.) will probably cost less than the cost of hair and makeup and a cake. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards