Attire & Accessories Forum

Oh dear lord - 42DD-42E bra

Oh dear lord- the alterations lady told me I need to get a 42DD or 42E bra. First - I am horrified. Second - I was hoping for something pretty to wear under the dress that doesn't make me feel like I may have an utter.
Anyone have any suggestions?

Re: Oh dear lord - 42DD-42E bra

• We are the same size. I got fitted at Soma and couldn't believe it...until I actually tried on the bra. I would try Soma b/c they carry those sizes and you can get something that doesn't look like your grandma owns it or that you could take flight with! hth
    October 2012 May Siggy Challenge: Bridesmaid dresses Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Well, the first thing I'd say is to get yourself measured. Best place imo is Nordstrom's. My real size is 38G, every other place I went to (VS, Penny's etc) measured me as 44D and then couldn't tell me why, after making me try on that size bra, that it obviously didn't fit me.

The reason I say to go and get yourself measured is because you cannot be both 42DD and 42E. Those sizes are completely different. *Sometimes*, and only sometimes, a 42DD might be comparable to a 40E, but rarely.

Though, if you have a corsetted top on your dress, you may find you don't need one. Plenty of busty ladies on these boards have been fine without (me being a G cup, I didn't risk it. I bought a strapless bra from Bravissimo).

Don't panic, also. If one of the sizes she mentioned happens to be yours, I'm sure you can find something lovely. Places like www.herroom.com, barenecessities.com, hipsandcurves.com may have things to suit you.
  • Oh you sound like me, I got a bra fitting for the first time since high school last month and went from a 38DD to a 38G. If you have a local lingerie shop try there first, lots of chain like Victoria Secret don't carry above a DD in stores. If you need to shop online, I suggest Linda the Bra Lady (<-clicky) or Fig Leaves. Personally, I plan on wearing something supportive and invisible under the dress and changing into something prettier afterward. 
    Visit The Nest!  Follow Me on Pinterest
  • ALL my other bras are 38DD. Thank you all. I will definitely go get fitted at Nordstroms and then look online as well.

I should add that my sweet fiance was at the same bridal salon with me getting his tux fit when she wrote down the bra size to order for me. We saw the paper at the same time and before I could gasp he immediately said "I'm sure wedding stuff runs small honey!" That's why I am gonna marry that man.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_oh-dear-lord-42dd-42e-bra?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:3fede362-79a6-4a5b-9861-3a46e3b796fePost:077bf8ee-b864-43da-883b-adf9b2238b7c">Re: Oh dear lord - 42DD-42E bra</a>:
    [QUOTE]ALL my other bras are 38DD. Thank you all. I will definitely go get fitted at Nordstroms and then look online as well. I should add that my sweet fiance was at the same bridal salon with me getting his tux fit when she wrote down the bra size to order for me. We saw the paper at the same time and <strong>before I could gasp he immediately said "I'm sure wedding stuff runs small honey!"</strong> That's why I am gonna marry that man.
    Posted by Tina3104[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>What a smart man!!!

</div>
  • Lisa50Lisa50 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    Yes, my first suggestion is that you put away the feeling of being horrified.  Next, there are plenty of beautiful bras out there in your size.  You can kill two birds with one stone by going to Nordstrom -- professional fitting and some of the most gorgeous bras anywhere!  And, you should be prepared that sizes may vary from vendor to vendor. 

Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards