September 2011 Weddings

My education from the Knot

These last few months of being freaking addicted to these boards have taught me some valuable life lessons...happy reading.

1.  Always lurk before posting.  Or be prepared to be called a "petulant child"
2.  Tread carefully when asking about honeymoon registries on the honeymoon board.  Holy Cow.
3.  If you have two engagement rings from your FI because the first one wasn't big enough it's best not to post it on Snarky Brides.
4.  The Sept 2011 board is awesome because all the brides on here are great!

Just wanted you ladies to know how much I appreciate you all and your lack of snarkiness! At least I feel like I can ask a question without being torn to shreds!
Hitched! 09.30.11

Re: My education from the Knot

• Oh I forgot to add..
    Telling someone to EABOD and DIAF is not nice, or classy.
    Hitched! 09.30.11
  • LOL I can only imagine you're referring to that amitrenti fiasco with the SB comment.  I can't even begin to form an opinion on that whole situation.

And I totally agree; this board is so sweet. I have yet to come across any sassiness.
    This knottie's been ransacked, suckas!
  • so true! its insane how the ppl on the honeymoon board flip about the registries. thats why i mostly stick to this board, because everyone here is AWESOME.

ps what does EABOD and DIAF mean? im so bad with the abbreviations.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • LonniPLonniP
    10 Comments
    Wow. I need to lurk on other boards more. This all sounds entirely too amusing to miss. LOL!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Agreed, everyone on this board is great!! People seem to lose their minds when the post things!!! I will never understand how people can be so rude in writing, you would NEVER say some of the things they write in person!!!
    Sept 11, April Siggy, HM Picture!!
    On a Boat, with our Flippy-Floppies!
    Anniversary
    Want to see my Bio? PM Me!!
    Wifey Shenanigans & Day Zero
  • Purplex--EABOD=eat a bag of d*cks
    DIAF=die in a fire

Nice huh?
    Hitched! 09.30.11
  • yikes! very nice, ay yi yi.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • BunsCheer03BunsCheer03
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments
    edited July 2010
    I agree, I actually posted a reply about how to cut cost on my local board when I first started on here. I mentioned doing a cash bar and I was straight out told that Im rude & i shouldnt treat my wedding like a back yard BBQ. Unfortunatly where Im from the average wedding costs 50,000. I am planning a 15,000 wedding so Ive had to use my resources. Honestly, since the responses I got on the local board, I just straight up ignore it. I am much happier on this board, noone is bitchy or snippity. Everyone is just trying to plan the wedding of their dreams within their budget, why do people have to make other brides feel like crap.
  • OMG! i cannot believe the rudeness of the other boards, even tho i laughed when i found out what the acronyms meant... i love this board!!!! i soooo love it that FI and i decided to get married on this month/year! thank you, girls!! :)
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    surprise BFP 1/1/12 ~ EDD 9/10/12 ~ M/C 2/2/2012
    thank you, baby angel, for showing us we can DO it!
    appt with RE 11/1/12 ~ "you should take a HPT, your period's due soon" "yeah right"
    whoops! surprise BFP #2 11/2/12! ~ EDD 7/13/13 ~ you gotta stick, lil one!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • suze68suze68
    100 Comments
    In addition to not posting about 2 engagement rings on the Snarky Brides board... I highly recommend not posting on there AT ALL.... I never knew that snarky meant you have the right to be a complete and total *(&^*&% to other people who are already stressed enough and dealing with crap from work, family, and friends, while trying to plan a wonderful wedding.
    image Sept 2011 Favorite Registry Item
  • In Response to My education from the Knot:
    These last few months of being freaking addicted to these boards have taught me some valuable life lessons...happy reading. 1.  Always lurk before posting.  Or be prepared to be called a "petulant child"   oh i missed that i just posted then i saw other people saying NEW HERE, HI NEW, NEWBEE and I thought hmmm maybe I should introduce - nah 2.  Tread carefully when asking about honeymoon registries on the honeymoon board.  I have not made the magical venture there - kinda scared, should i be?? Holy Cow. 3.  If you have two engagement rings from your FI because the first one wasn't big enough it's best not to post it on Snarky Brides. actually she posted it on the Just Engaged board and got busted out on SB board after saying she wanted to be "one of them!"  she was special  4.  The Sept 2011 board is awesome because all the brides on here are great! Just wanted you ladies to know how much I appreciate you all and your lack of snarkiness! At least I feel like I can ask a question without being torn to shreds! LAME  just kidding - I am with you I think more than my local board I HAVE to keep up with you guys even when insane - if i hop on no other board it's here to see how everyone is  Embarassed
    Posted by SuperRNluvsChef
    image image

Sept 2011 Siggy Challenge: Favorite Ceremony Photo Anniversary

~~Planning~~

~~FOR SALE~~
  • In Response to Re: My education from the Knot:
    In addition to not posting about 2 engagement rings on the Snarky Brides board... I highly recommend not posting on there AT ALL.... I never knew that snarky meant you have the right to be a complete and total *(&^*&% to other people who are already stressed enough and dealing with crap from work, family, and friends, while trying to plan a wonderful wedding.
    Posted by suze68
    their bark is worse than their bite - sorry to admit....that is my second favorite board  Embarassed

maybe because it isn't wedding stuff ALL the time and they are actually pretty supportive if people aren't outrageous like asking their fi to tan, lose weight, too cheap to buy a ring, first ring isn't good enough, etc - and the E board I think can be even more brutal with WP shortly there after...but that is just my opinion
    image image

~~Planning~~

~~FOR SALE~~
  • Jelenny--I also saw her post on Just engaged, and I also saw she's a 9/10/11 bride. Awesome. lol
    Hitched! 09.30.11
  • i think sometimes the ladies on other boards are so used too hearing the same question over and over they forget its a new person asking and just  jump right to the snark standard response.  but give the other boards a shot.  i love the e board - the girls give great advice.

and fyi, you can do a cost effective bar without making it completely cash.  and honeymoon registries are not cool, at least in my book - if you can't afford it, don't do it....don't make your guests pay for it, especially as their "gift" to you.  and be prepared to get way tacky gifts from people who didn't want to give you cash and didn't know what else to get.

***raise your glass if you are wrong in all the right ways***
    oh noes, sweetpea UPDATED her planning bio

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • "emilyinboston likes this."
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Jelenny--I also saw her post on Just engaged, and I also saw she's a 9/10/11 bride. Awesome. lol
    Posted by SuperRNluvsChef

yeah AND she is also in Wisconsin....toooooooo many places she will be going that I can't avoid avoid avoid!
    image image

~~Planning~~

~~FOR SALE~~
  • I agree about lurking. 

Also, I know some of the boards can be harsh at times but I also think people get offended WAY too easily.  I'm a frequent poster on NEY and most of the ladies are wonderful.  They give honest advice and don't validate silly ideas.  Sometimes things get heated but generally if someone comes and asks for advice they get it. 

"Popular on the internetz..."

Canada is kind of like a whole other world with new things to discover that us americans only dream of. - Narwhal
    Paige I would like to profess my love for you and your brilliant mind. - breezerb
    Murried Bio
    i think sometimes the ladies on other boards are so used too hearing the same question over and over they forget its a new person asking and just  jump right to the snark standard response.  but give the other boards a shot.  i love the e board - the girls give great advice. and fyi, you can do a cost effective bar without making it completely cash.  and honeymoon registries are not cool, at least in my book - if you can't afford it, don't do it....don't make your guests pay for it, especially as their "gift" to you.  and be prepared to get way tacky gifts from people who didn't want to give you cash and didn't know what else to get.
    Posted by sweetpea0911
    i don't think people usually register for honeymoon's they "can't afford".  my FI and i already live together and have everything we need.  we'll do a small registry to upgrade our sheets, dishes, and some other stuff.  but we really dont need that much.  and its not our style to use expensive china...we're just not formal people - so there's no need to register for that.  (our apartment is so tiny, i dont even know where i'd put more crap!) so we're doing a HM registry to try and avoid the "tacky gifts" or "useless gifts" problem.  its not that we cant afford the honeymoon - we just dont have a lot of stuff to register for.
    obviously...everyone has their own take on HM registries...which is absolutely fine.  i just think its unfair to assume a poster's reasoning for what they choose. 

know what i'm sayin?? Wink
  • Agree with Reese. I think too many people on boards (probably because they're so impersonal) are quick to jump to conclusions on why someone is doing something. We registering at Crate and Barrel and Target along with our HM registery to give people that want to buy stuff off a traditional registery something, too. And it's not at all that we can't afford to pay for our honeymoon, we'd be taking the same honeymoon either way. It just gives people another option since we aren't planning on registering for much. I'm not in any way "making my guests pay for it", it's their choice to bring a gift at all. I don't understand how it's any different then "making your guests" buy your kitchen set?

Agree with Reese. I think too many people on boards (probably because they're so impersonal) are quick to jump to conclusions on why someone is doing something. We registering at Crate and Barrel and Target along with our HM registery to give people that want to buy stuff off a traditional registery something, too. And it's not at all that we can't afford to pay for our honeymoon, we'd be taking the same honeymoon either way. It just gives people another option since we aren't planning on registering for much. I'm not in any way "making my guests pay for it", it's their choice to bring a gift at all. I don't understand how it's any different then "making your guests" buy your kitchen set?
    Posted by leggwilliams
    Allie!  get out of my head!!!  =)
    In Response to Re: My education from the Knot : Allie!  get out of my head!!!  =)
    Posted by reese511
    Ha! Love it
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards