New Jersey
Options

Do you wish your diamond was larger?

Inspired by the poll below...

Re: Do you wish your diamond was larger?

• Options
    kewltifkewltif member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I voted yes, because, well why not? I don't have a small ring, but I'd be lying if I didn't think it'd be cool to have an even nicer one. 
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    agreed tiff!
  • Options
    hcer0708hcer0708 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    agreed with prior posts
  • Options
    mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    No, I think it's a good size.

Plus there are lots of things I'd rather spend money on than a larger diamond, if I were given the option to upgrade.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ditto Tif and the other poster, if I could have a bigger/nicer ring why not?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Not at all.
  • Options
    uppereastgirluppereastgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm also a "why not?"  I wouldn't ever upgrade my ring because then it wouldn't be the ring he proposed with, and also because that just isn't something I'd spend money on (I'm really not a fancy jewelry person).  But to be completely honest, I would trade some of the quality for more quantity if he was doing it over.  Also, if I was doing it over I would probably want a different cut.  He got me exactly what I wanted, but in retrospect I think I'd want something different.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I put special snowflake...cause although I think mine is plenty large, who the hell would say no to a bigger diamond?! Not me! haha

~Chelsea~
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Laurms15Laurms15 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Mine is a family heirloom ring so there was no say in the size and while I love the shape/setting its just slightly shy of 1c and I'd be lying if I said I didn't want something just a little bigger. However I wouldn't trade the history or sentiment behind the ring for anything and the fact that he didn't have to pay for it is a bonus.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    For those who would want their band larger, how much larger would you go? Do you think there's a point where it's too much?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.weddings.com/Sites/Weddings/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_wish-diamond-larger?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:d4bcd213-c052-4c16-a95f-cc8de580b8bfPost:6924ac80-782c-4b45-ad96-4fc23c1b0f08">Re: Do you wish your diamond was larger?</a>:
    [QUOTE]For those who would want their band larger, how much larger would you go? Do you think there's a point where it's too much?
    Posted by jaimelody[/QUOTE]

<p>my band larger? you mean the center stone larger?

I don't know really, cause I've never seen a larger diamond on me...I think a 3 carat center stone would be nice :o)</p>
    ~Chelsea~
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I adore my ring I found the setting at Roman Jewelers in the Bridgewater Mall (family owned, worked with their daughter) - I was there for 3 hours over a lunch break (oops). 

I really wanted an emerald cut diamond, but after mentioning that I wanted something that sparkled, they insisted that I look at other cuts because emeralds do not have the facets like the other cuts. 

I loved a more rectangular shape and thus she showed me a Radiant Cut-Elongated diamond (ratio of about 1.25) on the setting that I adored.  Unfortunately, Roman Jewelers is a bit pricey because they really do only buy quality diamonds. The diamond I was looking at was $18,500 and it was only 2.25 carats.  The band was $2,700 (because it has almost a carat on it)! I knew there was NO way my bf was going to drop over $20k on my Engagement ring..
    So he scaled back the center stone a smidge to 1.5... and it's still beautiful.

Now that you know this silly story, I can explain why I voted with a special snowflake.  Roman Jewelers has an upgrade policy.  They will give you the exact price you paid for your diamond toward a larger stone if you decide to trade it in.  So there is a possibility that I would do a lil upgrade through them - and my FI is all for it.  (this wouldn't be until post wedding)

• Options
    uppereastgirluppereastgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think a lot of places let you trade in your diamond for a bigger one.  I know the place where my ring is from (on Long Island) does that, and Tiffany's does that.

To answer Jaimelody's question, I think somewhere around 4-5 carats a high quality ring becomes too flashy and showy.  I think rings that are of lesser quality look stupid when they're considerably smaller than that.  But it depends on part in the cut -- a square diamond generally looks smaller than a round diamond of the same size.  And I think it also depends on the setting.  A large stone on a very blingy setting may tend to look very Carmela Soprano/gaudy, while the same stone in a simpler or more classic setting may look quite classy.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I said yes because my center stone is just under 3/4c.  (It doesn't help that I work retail in a small, rich town.  The women all come in with huge diamonds on!) I think the whole thing is (or I should say was) around 1.5c.  I'm more into antique type jewelry and am pretty picky as well.  I really like the ring my FI picked out, but it wasn't 100% my style.  I googled etiquitte for the situation and nicely brought it up to him.  He was a tad hurt, but knows me (we've been dating for 12yrs!) 

He actually told me I could bring the ring back and get any ring I wanted up to $1000 more!  I am sentimental though and wanted the ring he picked even though I might like something else a bit better.  We brought the ring back and looked at a few as well as asking them if we could do somthing to this setting to change it a bit.  Well we got the ring back with a few more tiny diamonds and it totally changed the look of the ring!  I now love it and he says that if the ring was in the case the way it is now it probably wouldn't have been still there for him to buy!  He loves just as much as I do!

That long story being told I think I would still like the center stone to be a full C, if not a bit more!  :)

• Options
    edited December 2011
    misschristine...do you have a pic of your ring? The cut sounds really pretty!
    ~Chelsea~
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Lola MinnieLola Minnie member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_wish-diamond-larger?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:d4bcd213-c052-4c16-a95f-cc8de580b8bfPost:63c3572e-da99-47f5-a84b-3b0d34e287e9">Re: Do you wish your diamond was larger?</a>:
    [QUOTE]misschristine...do you have a pic of your ring? The cut sounds really pretty!
    Posted by cvl105[/QUOTE]

I want to see also! I like radiant cut, my friend has that and it's very pretty.

Mine is round which was what I wanted.  I'm without mine a few days and feel naked!
  • Options
    DandT1206DandT1206 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I wouldn't mind it a little bigger, but i would never trade my current one in for a bigger one.  this one has more sentimental value.  Although, I wouldn't not want to compromise quality for quantity.  My ring sprarkles so nice!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    * Yes sorry, that was supposed to be larger center stone not band. I guess bands are on my mind though!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards