Not Engaged Yet

S/O Biggest Loser NEY Edition

As a s/o from Elle's thread, we are discussing the idea of doing a long-term weight-loss competition among those NEY yet. The BF and I are starting a 9-month challenge today, and some of the other knotties are interested in having an accountability/goal/contest with others... 

So, are you interested?  What should the terms be? Weekly weigh ins -- and record inches as well?  We could set target weight and select the winners based off things like percentage body weight lost or inches lost.... 

Thoughts?

Re: S/O Biggest Loser NEY Edition

• elanniselannis member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm definitely in. I'm ok with sharing weekly weigh ins and inches. Sounds like fun! : )
    -Ely

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • bethsmilesbethsmiles member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    I think we should go off of percentage of body weight lost. Weekly weigh ins are probably best.

When should we all start?

• elanniselannis member
    edited December 2011
    Wanna do Monday weigh ins? I tend to do worse on the weekends, so if I know I have to weigh in on Monday, that'd be a help to me. I can do another day though too.
    -Ely

edited December 2011
    Monday weigh ins sound good to me. I agree that it will help me be good over the weekend.

• edited December 2011
    I should totally join in on this with you all! Are we going for 9 months on the board too? or shorter? I really need to get back on track here!
  • elanniselannis member
    edited December 2011
    I think 9 months would be awesome, but I usually do better if I have smaller goals. Either way would be fine, but maybe we could have mini rewards for whoever does best for each month or something?
    -Ely

• becunning2becunning2 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Monday is the weigh-in day for me too! 

Should we do another long-term competition, like 9 months? Or would you rather do something shorter?

I like percentage weight lost... but I think acknowledging someone who lost the most weight or the most inches would be nice too.

Maybe we could have an entry fee or something (something nominal like $10) and then the winner gets an award?
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Maybe we could set a 6 month goal? That's still long enough to do some major progress/tracking (and keep weight off, which should always be the goal), but not as long as 9 months.
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_biggest-loser-ney-edition?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:cbbfff55-998d-4ae8-a1fa-5817bb39b6edPost:8b71c683-15d8-4235-aaec-c3f1027a26e7">Re: S/O Biggest Loser NEY Edition</a>:
    [QUOTE]Monday is the weigh-in day for me too!  Should we do another long-term competition, like 9 months? Or would you rather do something shorter? I like percentage weight lost... but I think acknowledging someone who lost the most weight or the most inches would be nice too<strong>. Maybe we could have an entry fee or something (something nominal like $10) and then the winner gets an award?</strong>
    Posted by becunning2[/QUOTE]

I like this idea. I think 6 months is a good amount of time too.

• elanniselannis member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_biggest-loser-ney-edition?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:cbbfff55-998d-4ae8-a1fa-5817bb39b6edPost:8b71c683-15d8-4235-aaec-c3f1027a26e7">Re: S/O Biggest Loser NEY Edition</a>:
    [QUOTE]Monday is the weigh-in day for me too!  Should we do another long-term competition, like 9 months? Or would you rather do something shorter? I like percentage weight lost... but I think acknowledging someone who lost the most weight or the most inches would be nice too. Maybe we could have an entry fee or something (something nominal like $10) and then the winner gets an award?

We could do a few categories like "Most weight lost", "Highest percentage of weight lost", "Best attitude" (lol) etc. I'm out of ideas for categories, but that way it'd be more incentive for people to do well because there would be a greater chance of winning too. 
    -Ely

First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think if we're going to do a winner's pool from entry fees it should be just one or two categories.
  • lennonkdclennonkdc member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm in! 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_biggest-loser-ney-edition?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:cbbfff55-998d-4ae8-a1fa-5817bb39b6edPost:d6f9877b-b6b7-486c-b3cd-de17a9b97c8f">Re: S/O Biggest Loser NEY Edition</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: S/O Biggest Loser NEY Edition : We could do a few categories like "Most weight lost", "Highest percentage of weight lost", "Best attitude" (lol) etc. I'm out of ideas for categories, but that way it'd be more incentive for people to do well because there would be a greater chance of winning too. 
    Posted by elannis[/QUOTE]

When I did a biggest loser type thing at my gym people got a "point" for every hour they spent at the gym per week and that factored into who won. We could do something like that if it would motivate people to go to the gym.

• elanniselannis member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_biggest-loser-ney-edition?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:cbbfff55-998d-4ae8-a1fa-5817bb39b6edPost:74a02ba3-d084-4562-b2ea-9b06e92e462a">Re: S/O Biggest Loser NEY Edition</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: S/O Biggest Loser NEY Edition : When I did a biggest loser type thing at my gym people got a "point" for every hour they spent at the gym per week and that factored into who won. We could do something like that if it would motivate people to go to the gym.
    Posted by bethsmiles[/QUOTE]

I think this would motivate me to get back into working out, as long as dvds count; I do my workouts at home.
    -Ely

edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_biggest-loser-ney-edition?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:cbbfff55-998d-4ae8-a1fa-5817bb39b6edPost:0a2286d6-c748-4555-8dff-8f7344b48c52">Re: S/O Biggest Loser NEY Edition</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: S/O Biggest Loser NEY Edition : I think this would motivate me to get back into working out, as long as dvds count; I do my workouts at home.
    Posted by elannis[/QUOTE]

I think we could could any type of work out since some people may not have a gym membership.

• elanniselannis member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_biggest-loser-ney-edition?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:cbbfff55-998d-4ae8-a1fa-5817bb39b6edPost:610ead3b-bd31-4e4f-a227-463704221dd7">Re: S/O Biggest Loser NEY Edition</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: S/O Biggest Loser NEY Edition : I think we could could any type of work out since some people may not have a gym membership.
    Posted by bethsmiles[/QUOTE]

Ok, that sounds great to me!

I think this might be just what I need to get my butt in gear! : )
    -Ely

• Elle1036Elle1036 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I'm in, but I'm against the idea of an entry fee and prizes.  Since there are lots of different "awards" that could be given (like best attitude, biggest percentage, most inches, biggest inspiration, etc) it would just get complicated.  Can we just keep it to props and virtual high-fives?  I can even make some "badges" for people's signatures...  just nothing that costs money.
  • lunarsongbirdlunarsongbird member
    edited December 2011
    I think this is a lovely idea!! Although, I'm afraid it would be a source of guilt for me during the holiday season. So I might focus on something like this after December. :)

I'm really good at feeling guilty. 

ETA: I'm going to be going on a diet of love and self-compassion this holiday season. Of course loving myself includes eating good things and taking care of myself. So I'll be doing my best. I really have no idea how to get rid of the guilt I carry around...I'll have to do some research.
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • peekaboo2011peekaboo2011 member
    edited December 2011
    I'm in!

This sounds like a ton of fun!
    I french with my man
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_biggest-loser-ney-edition?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:cbbfff55-998d-4ae8-a1fa-5817bb39b6edPost:b67b1d5c-201c-4e38-97cf-60edaa628e02">Re: S/O Biggest Loser NEY Edition</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm in, but I'm against the idea of an entry fee and prizes.  Since there are lots of different "awards" that could be given (like best attitude, biggest percentage, most inches, biggest inspiration, etc) it would just get complicated.  Can we just keep it to props and virtual high-fives?  I can even make some "badges" for people's signatures...  just nothing that costs money.
    Posted by Elle1036[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Okay, no entry fee for later award... we will keep motivation as virtual motivation and badges. :)</div><div>
    </div><div>I think the undecided thing was length of competition.</div><div>
    </div><div>I will check out the thintopia.</div><div>
    </div><div>Should we have someone who is in "charge" of monitoring this?

</div>
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ooooh, thintopia looks interesting. And free. I think that would be a good program...

And it looks like it could be password protected, which would always be nice.
    edited December 2011
    Who wants to be in charge?

Also, I'm still not sure of when we are starting? Today? This week? Next week? The new year?

• peekaboo2011peekaboo2011 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_biggest-loser-ney-edition?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:cbbfff55-998d-4ae8-a1fa-5817bb39b6edPost:65f0fce5-33ff-4481-93ae-11b065d21187">Re: S/O Biggest Loser NEY Edition</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think this is a lovely idea!! Although, I'm afraid it would be a source of guilt for me during the holiday season. So I might focus on something like this after December. :) I'm really good at feeling guilty.  ETA: <strong>I'm going to be going on a diet of love and self-compassion this holiday season. Of course loving myself includes eating good things and taking care of myself. So I'll be doing my best. I really have no idea how to get rid of the guilt I carry around...I'll have to do some research.</strong>
    Posted by lunarsongbird[/QUOTE]

<div>Actually, I really like this concept.  Rather than focusing on counting calories over the holiday season, I think we should focus on loving ourselves for where we are now, and making an effort to take care of yourself.  Go on a walk with your family.  Go for a run or a bike ride or a swim if you can.  But don't focus on the number of calories.  Eat good food slowly until you feel full.  Don't stress about a second serving of pie.  Holidays are about families.  Not calories.</div>
    I french with my man
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • SwazzleSwazzle member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    I would really like to do this too! 

I agree with PP about doing a shorter-term competition.  It helps keep you motivated when you know the end is near.  My family & I did a 4 month Biggest Loser & a lot of people really slacked at the beginning because they thought they had a long ways to go. 

The way we did it was we all weigh in on Monday, I sent out a mass email to everyone & they sent back their weights.  I set up a chart where I calculated each person's percentage of weight loss (that's the best way to do it because some people have more/less to lose than others & that keeps it fair). 

First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't mind being in charge at least the first go around since I'm already doing this with the boyfriend.

How about an 8-week competition? Starting.... today! Since, well, I'm starting today. We could then decide after we finish it to make it longer. I'm not going to lie, I think shorter weight-loss goals only encourage people to lose weight in an unhealthy fashion and then they regain it after the short-time frame is over (that's why I think longer ones are healthier), but I don't mind participating in a shorter one either. Heck, the BF and I are doing 9 months, so I'm going the distance regardless! Hehe. 

@Lunar & Peek:  Definitely, we should all love ourselves and focus on family. I feel pretty decent about how I look, but I also wouldn't mind being healthy. I consider this a Get More Fit and Be Active Competition in my head than a I-must-lose-weight-to-like-myself competition. :) 
  • elanniselannis member
    edited December 2011
    Thintopia looks pretty cool and from Liv's description it seems pretty user friendly.
    -Ely

• SwazzleSwazzle member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    I could start today.  I weighed myself this morning but I didn't take any measurements.  I actually don't have one of those flimsy-kinda tape measure things though.  Only a normal one.  Do I need one?

• tuarceathatuarceatha member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Ya'll are so good for each other. Just sayin'.

Laughing
  • elanniselannis member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_biggest-loser-ney-edition?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:cbbfff55-998d-4ae8-a1fa-5817bb39b6edPost:c86a25ae-21df-4e6c-a25f-92d4b54936f5">Re: S/O Biggest Loser NEY Edition</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't mind being in charge at least the first go around since I'm already doing this with the boyfriend. How about an 8-week competition? Starting.... today! Since, well, I'm starting today. We could then decide after we finish it to make it longer. I'm not going to lie, I think shorter weight-loss goals only encourage people to lose weight in an unhealthy fashion and then they regain it after the short-time frame is over (that's why I think longer ones are healthier), but I don't mind participating in a shorter one either. Heck, the BF and I are doing 9 months, so I'm going the distance regardless! Hehe.  @Lunar & Peek:  Definitely, we should all love ourselves and focus on family. I feel pretty decent about how I look, but I also wouldn't mind being healthy. I consider this a Get More Fit and Be Active Competition in my head than a I-must-lose-weight-to-like-myself competition. :) 

I'm up for the starting today thing. We can always do one again later for the "after the holidays" people too! I also agree that long goals are good, but it helps if I make mini goals to keep me on track. I don't try to lose it all in an unreasonable amount of time, but if you have a lot to lose, like I did when I was 278, it makes it easier to focus on 10 - 15 pounds at a time.
    -Ely

First Comment
    edited December 2011
    OKAY! I started the competition, so sign up on thintopia. We're going for 8 weeks.  The Competition Name is NEY Get Fit Competition...

...and the password is:  loveyourself

No joke.  We started today, so go ahead and weigh in! (If you didn't weigh in this morning, I think it's fine to fudge and start tomorrow). 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards