Wedding Etiquette Forum

WR "I don't get it"

Re: WR "I don't get it"

• aegrishaegrish member
    First Comment
    edited November 2010
    I disagree I have been to weddings where they have done a donation and I think it's thoughtful.  We're doing a donation for our favor and especially since the charities are special to our families I think it will be meaningful to them and our guests.
  • THANKS MANDY!

This is also an unpopular opinion, but I don't get spending oodles of money on wedding shoes people will never see.
    Vacation with Alix, Andy, Mandy, and FLORENCE. AND HER MACHINE.

The Margarita Evolution
  • Why are you being stupid, TK?  WHY?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wr-dont?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:1bf4f70a-6c9d-4923-8642-2c2b63a6fc80Post:2fddcf3a-32e9-47ba-85c4-6621169eea72">Re: WR "I don't get it"</a>:
    [QUOTE]Trash the Dress pictures. I know this is an unpopular opinion, but it makes no sense to me to take pictures of you in your wedding attire on a day that isn't your wedding.
    Posted by crfische[/QUOTE]

Me too.  I also don't get why you'd trash your wedding dress.  If it isn't important to you, why not donate it to the goodwill or other charity so someone else can use and love it?  The whole trash the dress thing is pretty obnoxious - more pictures of ME!!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • There was a poster on here in days of yore, mRm, who bought a totally different wedding dress and then did trash the dress pictures a YEAR after her wedding. That, my friends, made absolutely no sense.

The Margarita Evolution
  • I also don't get engagement pictures.  I know that's an unpopular opinion.  I don't get personalized CDs for favors - actually, I don't get favors.  Isn't the reception the favor?  I also don't get gifts for the parents of the bride and groom.  How is your children getting married a gift-getting occasion?  I don't get it. 
  • I don't get engagement pictures, either. I mean, I've seen super cute ones that I love, and I get that most photographers throw 'em in with the package, but we just don't need that many pictures of ourselves and after your wedding, you will have thousands.

Engagement pictures to me mean -- take UH (1) picture for the paper.

The Margarita Evolution
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wr-dont?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:1bf4f70a-6c9d-4923-8642-2c2b63a6fc80Post:0c1d0fd6-3a7c-4c06-88c3-d924a6847656">Re: WR "I don't get it"</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: WR "I don't get it" : Me too.  I also don't get why you'd trash your wedding dress.  If it isn't important to you, why not donate it to the goodwill or other charity so someone else can use and love it?  The whole trash the dress thing is pretty obnoxious - more pictures of ME!!!
    Posted by ehathewa[/QUOTE]
    I don't think they always actually trash the dress, but either way I find them obnoxious.  I am planning on getting plenty of pictures of myself in my dress on my actual wedding day.  More pictures of myself than I have ever had taken.  I could not imagine getting any more.
  • I agree it can come off as 'look how kind we are' type thing too...but at least its not jordan almonds left on the table at the end of the night...

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wr-dont?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:1bf4f70a-6c9d-4923-8642-2c2b63a6fc80Post:eb80b588-5784-4efd-84ab-c3738373f6ad">Re: WR "I don't get it"</a>:
    [QUOTE]I agree it can come off as 'look how kind we are' type thing too...but at least its not jordan almonds left on the table at the end of the night...
    Posted by aegrish[/QUOTE]

Good point.
  • OH YEAH, I don't know why people get all monogram and embroidery happy on their wedding day, but I don't need ANYTHING with YOUR wedding date on it.

And people put initials on everything at weddings, I tell ya what....

The Margarita Evolution
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wr-dont?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:1bf4f70a-6c9d-4923-8642-2c2b63a6fc80Post:eb80b588-5784-4efd-84ab-c3738373f6ad">Re: WR "I don't get it"</a>:
    [QUOTE]I agree it can come off as 'look how kind we are' type thing too...but at least its not jordan almonds left on the table at the end of the night...
    Posted by aegrish[/QUOTE]

Then why not just skip the favors and make the donation privately? 
  • Not gonna lie..I don't really get STDs.  But,I've never seen or heard of them before TK. But I'm also from a small town and everyone knows everyone who's getting married and when.  And word of mouth for the people not from home.  I guess I just don't understand how people don't find out about your wedding before the STD is sent out.

This is going to sound cheesy, but the reason I do like engagement pics is because it's like, your first family pics together.  I know we'll get tons at the wedding too, but besides that, I can't ever see the two of us getting professional pics done of us again until we have kids.
  • I rather like jordan almonds, myself.

I don't get spending money on personalized cocktail napkins and stir sticks. What a waste. I also don't get having a dessert bar AND a huge cake. It feels like overkill.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I don't get a lot of the things my mom wants to do or thinks is "neat" for our wedding. Undecided
  • Ditto almost everything.  I don't get:

-Having more than 1 dress
    -Engagement sessions
    -Trash the dress sessions
    -Choreographed dances
    -1/4 of your guest list being in the WP
    -Cowboy boots for brides
    -Spending insane amounts of money on a wedding dress
    -How people actually cry when they put on "the dress"
    -Justifying having no bar by saying "we don't drink"
    -Justifying having no kids by saying "they don't need to see adults drinking"

imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • But you're not a family yet...so. They really aren't your first family pictures.

The Margarita Evolution
  • Well no...but I guess in that case just your first nice pics together probably.

I'm just saying I like them, but I don't know that I would have paid for them had they not been part of the photography package. 
  • I don't get why FMIL thinks you  need to be spend $50k+ to have a nice wedding.  Our budget is waaaaaaaaaay less than that and our wedding will be wonderful!
    Anniversary
  • I also don't get the need for personalized drink stirrers, but we had them.  It was one of few things that H was really excited about so I let him make them.  They were cheap though because we printed them off ourselves onto address labels and used wooden skewers.

I don't need professional pics of H and I.  We have our weddings ones, and even still we only have 1 hanging in the house.  But we also had a nice picture of us from a formal banquet of his we had to go to so we used that for our STD's.  Maybe I would feel differently if we had no nice piictures.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Ooh I just saw another post on here which made me think of another one:

I don't get having 2 honor attendants at all.  The MOH is supposed to be the absolute nearest and dearest person to you, so just pick one.  I don't get having 2, especially when its done solely to spare feelings.  Give the loser a pair of big girl panties that say BM on them and call it a day.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • I had 2 MOH's. I NEEDED THEM, OK!?

The Margarita Evolution
  • Of course you needed 2 Fish.  One to hold the bouquet, and one to hold the margarita.

imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wr-dont?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:1bf4f70a-6c9d-4923-8642-2c2b63a6fc80Post:04f4c84d-b55f-458c-9a1b-998e3dded3e3">Re: WR "I don't get it"</a>:
    [QUOTE]I also don't get the need for personalized drink stirrers, but we had them.  It was one of few things that H was really excited about so I let him make them.  They were cheap though because we printed them off ourselves onto address labels and used wooden skewers. I don't need professional pics of H and I.  We have our weddings ones, and even still we only have 1 hanging in the house.  But we also had a nice picture of us from a formal banquet of his we had to go to so we used that for our STD's.  Maybe I would feel differently if we had no nice piictures.
    Posted by dnbeach12[/QUOTE]

FI and I don't have a single  nice picture of the two of us together.  Not one.  We get all excited when we leave an event where we've been photographed together, then we see the pics and it's always the same thing: "your eyes are closed in this one," "what are you doing, sneezing in this one?" "Oh!  This one's good...no, wait, you did your velociraptor face," and so on.  It's tragic. 
  • YES! Now you're getting it.

The Margarita Evolution
  • *goes to hide engagement pic in siggy*

Tongue out
  • I don't get engagement photos or bridal portraits. I guess I'm just not one for picking a random day and getting our picture made. I realize engagement pics come free with some wedding packages and in that case, why the hell not? But I wouldn't (and didn't) pay to have any done. One of our friends snapped a few photos right as H was proposing, so I consider those engagement pictures. Cause they happened RIGHT when we got engaged. And bridal portraits are kind of the same thing as TTD shoots for me. Why get all done up in your wedding stuff on a day that's not your wedding day? Just not my thing.
    Whatever you hatters be hattin. -Tay Prince
  • In addition to what has been said, I don't get the bouquet toss especially when the bride buys a throw away bouquet,or long gaps.

What is a pick-up on a dress?
  • I like Kiki's new sig, AND Fishy's new sig... both made me smile :).
  • Oh yeah LC, I don't get bridal portraits. They're not common where I'm from, and while TTD pics are at least of you as a couple, I don't really need 500 model shots of myself in any outfit, much less my wedding dress.

We are going to do TTD/anniversary pics because we've already done just about every other kind of photo session (our photog=my BFF), and they came with our package. I want to do them in San Francisco when we're home in March though since we don't have cool pictures of us in CA, which is why some are going to be TTD and then others will just be fun "us in the city" pictures. Because while I think our TTD pics will look cool, I don't really see myself wallpapering my house in the million wedding outfit photos we will have after that.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards